• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Nissan X-trail

Gummybr

well Sir regarding the X-Trail, I miss the point WHY?

It doesn't have the ride quality and handling capability of a car (I mean a sedan or a hatchback or a coupe sort of thing)

some fine points you have listed out. the only thing i agree with you on is the lack of dual AC...that is a must..

but other than that, you are expecting handling capabilities of a car? can you let me know what vehicle in the same level as the x-trail has the features you are looking for?

well Fuzzo none of the vehicles in the same level (the so-called soft-roaders) has got all the features I listed. But at least the RAV4 and Sportage are able to gain some respect off-road and the CRV is a much better on-roader. But the X-Trail, it has got nothing

They cannot do what cars do

They cannot do what SUVs do

It doesn't have the ride quality and handling capability of a car (I mean a sedan or a hatchback or a coupe sort of thing)

Acceleration is horrible (I refer to the 2.0L Patrol)

Not that much spacious than a large sedan or a S/Wagon

Torque almost non-existant unless you rev up the engine to the red

Inadequate Ground clerance - it still grinds its belly on every little obstacle on the ground once taken off the carpet

It's a FWD with an option to engage rear wheels via a gimmick switch on the dash and no Low Range so what's the whole point of 4WD?

very poor Approach / BreakOver and Departure Angles - you loose your front and rear bumbers and part of the exhaust if you go over an obstacle a bit taller than your cat

monocoque body and suspension of a sedan - not the right recepe for a 4WD

no rear A/C despite the rear cargo space being open to the cabin

So it's basically a Station Wagon with a slightly taller body and a 4WD system which may only take you to the beach in the best case

what's the point? why buy an X-Trail?

I think you need to buy a Defender with a Tuned up engine stage 3 or a Wrangler with the engine done up to produce some 400 odd BHP to give you flying starts.

Come down to the earth Mr. HardHat, look at what manufacturers offer today. Do you think that they will survive in the terrains that you speak about here. I wont, save the Prado, Patrol, Range Rover (you will never use it, thats a different story), Discovery of the newer breeds in the stuff off the road. And maybe a Cayenne Turbo, ML63, X5 and some others to produce the unbelieveable acceleration.

Whatevr said and done whether you like it or not manufacturers nowadays will compromise the off road capability for road manners and more on the road performance except for a certain manufacturer who doesn't want to compromise on anything.

Next time chose properly before you go off road and know your limits.

X-Trail has a super 4wd system. In auto mode it will give you the exact balance of torque and power to the wheels depending on wheels slipping. Therefore ther is no need for a low range. It is almost similar to the Freelander Transmission.

well Fuzzo none of the vehicles in the same level (the so-called soft-roaders) has got all the features I listed. But at least the RAV4 and Sportage are able to gain some respect off-road and the CRV is a much better on-roader. But the X-Trail, it has got nothing

They cannot do what cars do

They cannot do what SUVs do

Given the CRV is a decent SUV but your bunkum if you think its better that the xtrail. I just googled and found this article:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384...6-27286,00.html

Given the CRV is a decent SUV but your bunkum if you think its better that the xtrail. I just googled and found this article:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384...6-27286,00.html

You are correct Pila, nice article as well. The old man is still on top.

If the X-Trail is so bad how will it become the best selling SOft roader in Britain if its not fun to drive. For your information X-Trail has better ground clearance than the CRV, RAV4, SPortage, Sorento and old Freelander. SO you actually you need a Defender or a Prado if you need more clearance.

Maybe the model you had would have been a cheap 2wd version with the non GT engine which was made for the african markets.

BTW if you are pleased with the SPoratages and Sorentos go ahead. They will never be able to do what you can in a proper 4wd.

Also anyway nissan didn't manufacture cars with driver enthusiasm but in that sense X-Trail is better.

guys guys my whole point regarding soft-roaders is that they are neither Cars nor SUVs, as such leaving the user with nothing.

I do not expect SUVs to be great in handling and do 0-100 in 3.5sec. SUVs are supposed to be hard and strong and not stop where the road ends. Nobody expects them to ride like a Lambo.

with the money you spend on a new soft-roader you can buy a decent hatchback or a sedan for your daily ride and an old big real off-roader for your weekends and recreation activities then you have best of both worlds.

So it's basically a Station Wagon with a slightly taller body and a 4WD system which may only take you to the beach in the best case

what's the point? why buy an X-Trail?

You do seem to be missing the point, yes. That was pretty much what that whole market segments for softroaders are for. And the 4WD system is for dealing with ice and snow on the roads. In the local context, that would be mud and gravel roads. And dude, u can live in the center of Colombo, but u can still find gravel roads. U wanna challenge me on that, gimme a call, I'll take u to a gravel road in Colombo 7 :D

We could well say, "why buy a sportage too?". But the point is, even if we don't use the off-road ability of the vehicle, with our current road conditions, there are ppl who prefer the heavier duty suspension in these vehicles.

Besides, just coz a vehicle has 4WD doesn't mean u can go and start tackling jungle tracks. Plenty of cars with AWD too. Doesn't mean ppl are gonna try to take on the Rain Forest Challenge in one.

Besides, X-Trails have those drink coolers :P eh Fuzzo? ;)

I also think ur sadly underestimating the African Bush, but I'll let Duncan deal with that.

guys guys my whole point regarding soft-roaders is that they are neither Cars nor SUVs, as such leaving the user with nothing.

I do not expect SUVs to be great in handling and do 0-100 in 3.5sec. SUVs are supposed to be hard and strong and not stop where the road ends. Nobody expects them to ride like a Lambo.

with the money you spend on a new soft-roader you can buy a decent hatchback or a sedan for your daily ride and an old big real off-roader for your weekends and recreation activities then you have best of both worlds.

They are not cars or SUV, leaving the user the ability to do a little of both. Which, from one point of view, is better than having two vehicles, and paying registration and insurance on both.

And OK, name the Sedan and the old big offroader u can buy for the cost of an X-Trail? And by old big off roader, I mean one u can at least put into the situ of a X-Trail without the part falling off. Even an old crusier or Mitsu jeep cost over a million these days.

Edited by Pericles

Your missing the point here again. If I may paraphrase something I think Jay Leno once said.

“Buying a Ferrari to go grocery shopping is like hooking up with a really hot chick and asking her to cook dinner for you. That’s just not the purpose” : )))) Can someone remember the exact quote? :D:D

i haven't driven a 2L X-Trail so i can't comment but i have driven many 2.5L versions and all those SUVs you mentioned won't come close to its power and torque figures... X-Trails also have very good ground clearance... CRVs are quite low and the previous generation comes with 15" wheels... you must have just driven a bad apple that's all...

funny though a lot of people who i've spoken to about the sportage says it's severely underpowered...

Hi everyone!

been away from base for 2 days and could not log on

love this thread! I see that I am seriously overdue in replies

gimme some time to take care of a couple of pressing business issues and I'll be back to continue this discussion