• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speed Kills??

Duncan

This seems to be a common term in many societies. But I beg to differ.

Speed does not kill! Indisciplined and careless driving is what kills!!

What does the rest think?

The real killers on the road are

Sleep

Poor concentration

Errors of judgement

Errors of observation

Dangerous attitudes

Other causes

Mechanical failure

Driver inexperience

Unexpected loss of control

Close following

Conclusions

Very few real world accidents are caused by speed. The vast majority are caused by s.p.e.e.d. Although the concept behind this page is amusing the subject and the claims are deadly serious. These are the real major causes of modern road accidents and can all be addressed with training, publicity and efforts to foster good attitude in drivers. They cannot be addressed with more speed cameras.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/s.p.e.e.d.html

yeap i agree with u speed does not kill, reckless driving, drink n drive kills

bt ppl need bit of luck ant they <_<

The real killers on the road are

Sleep

Poor concentration

Errors of judgement

Errors of observation

Dangerous attitudes

Other causes

Mechanical failure

Driver inexperience

Unexpected loss of control

Close following

Conclusions

Very few real world accidents are caused by speed. The vast majority are caused by s.p.e.e.d. Although the concept behind this page is amusing the subject and the claims are deadly serious. These are the real major causes of modern road accidents and can all be addressed with training, publicity and efforts to foster good attitude in drivers. They cannot be addressed with more speed cameras.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/s.p.e.e.d.html

yeap yeap specially Driver inexperience n bad luck

Edited by GihanFX

Carelessness,incapacity and neglegence are other contributors I belive!

When it comes to speed that increases the likelihood and severity of a crash. The faster a vehicle is moving, the less time the driver has to react to a hazard, and for other road users to react to that vehicle. A speeding vehicle requires more time and distance to stop, and is harder to control in average car. Speed is a major factor of fatal crashes and a big contributor of all crashes.

As speed increases over 100 km/h, the fatality rate of vehicle occupants goes up exponentially. For example, the chances of being killed in a vehicle traveling at 120 km/h are four times higher than at 100 km/h. When a car crashes near 200 km/h the chances of survival are minimal.

Speed of impact is critical for pedestrians, the most vulnerable road users. An European Transport Safety Council report found that only five per cent of pedestrians died when struck by a vehicle at 32 km/h; fatalities increased to 85 per cent at 64 km/h.

-source C S C

MINIACE

Agree with Duncan

speed alone does not kill

but usually, speed combined with one or more following elements, i.e.

Driver

Vehicle

Road (or Terrain)

Others on the road (vehicles and pedestrians)

not being in optimum condition / status for that speed leads to a crash which could be fatal.

I'ma throw a different angle.

U can say speed alone does not kill, but even taking into account all the factors pointed out by OD, they won't be fatal to the occupants of a vehicle unless there is sufficent speed. Sure, u can meet with an accident, but to cause the fatality (thats where "kills" comes in) u need speed.

So in that sense, speed is the common factor that does kill.

Not considering freak accidents like a tree falling on ur car while u drive along sedately.

Speed doesn’t kill. The rate of change of speed kills!! speed if ur sure u that speed wont be lowered (by u or someone else) at a rate (deceleration or g-force) that’s unsustainable to ur body and mind (brain). Most of the human body can withstand large amounts of Gforces, sadly the same is not true for the semi-solid stuff in the cranium. Common sense and a lil bit of physics (OL science) will go a long way

Edited by dhp

Not considering freak accidents like a tree falling on ur car while u drive along sedately.

see speed dosent kill u prove it, and think abt last tsunami :D dozens of ppl died cus they couldnt race with the speedy tsunami waves their cars are too slow J/K

Edited by GihanFX

Careless driving plus beign over confident makes all the silly accidents

So in that sense, speed is the common factor that does kill.

coudn't say it simpler than that... i also think speed does kill... especially slower speeds can cover up for incapacity.

i think bringing out that drunk drive etc are more contributing to motor car related accidents does not necessarily mean that "speed does not kill"... you stay with in generally accepted speed limits (not necessarily always be the formal one ;) ) and you drastically reduce the risk in an absolute sense.

Edited by isurujosh

Interesting topic! The draining of your life force upon impact is directly proportional to the speed you are travelling.. go slow n whack a lamp post, you would escape unharmed but knock it at around 100+ and voila, the gates of heaven (i hope) are open...

there was this test conducted by top gear relating to micro styled cars and one particular car called the Smart. The car passenger compartment was intact inspite of it being crashed into a concrete wall at around 60 mph but as said by the host, the human body cannot cope with the such deceleration and the person would definitely pass away due to internal injuries..

But then again, speed could not always be attributed to accident. It is nevertheless the MAIN cause for most of the accident. Accidents could also occurs due to the wastage of tyres, improper strength of the brakes (once again speed :) ) and plenty of other stuff.. speed nevertheless plays the most vital role in killing a person.. you cant kill yourself if you go at 30kmph in a car without brakes yeah? (unless its a cliff or otherwise) ...

so yes.. speed does kill!

Zz

I agree totally with the attitude thing. Some people in SL think that just cause your got a vtec sticker, spoiler and body kit you can can hit what ever speed you want while not being aware of the limitations of ones ride. Another thing is that lack of judgment.. & irresponsibility in a land where you get man, cows, goats,buses, cycles & three wheelers crossing the road at will.

I guess speed is a great component when it comes to accidents. This is off the Highway code, sorry its in MPH but this is some useful info.

Typical Stopping Distances:

20 MPH - 6 metres (thinking) + 6 metres (braking) = 12 metres (40 feet) or 3 car lengths

30 MPH - 9 metres (thinking) + 14 metres (braking) = 23 metres (75 feet) or 6 car lengths

40 MPH - 12 metres (thinking) + 24 metres (braking) = 36 metres (120 feet) or 9 car lengths

50 MPH - 15 metres (thinking) + 38 metres (braking) = 53 metres (175 feet) or 13 car lengths

60 MPH - 18 metres (thinking) + 55 metres (braking) = 73 metres (240 feet) or 18 car lengths

70 MPH - 21 metres (thinking) + 75 metres (braking) = 96 metres (315 feet) or 24 car lengths

Average car length = 4 metres.

typical driving, you should leave at least a 2 second gap between you and the vehicle in front. In wet weather this gap should increase to 4. Snow, 10 second gap (ok so not in SL)

Edited by Overdrive

I would say that speed increases the risk in any situation.

Also, Immaturity kills. I.E person who does not know how to properly handle a vehicle at high speed is liable to get killed. This happens to people who are used to driving at a slow speed (e.g. in Sri Lanka) who try high speed driving (e.g. outstation) and loose control of the vehicle.

On the subject of death.. I think the following kill:

1. tiredness/affect of medications

2. alcohol

3. speeding (increases the risk)

4. Not wearing a seat belt (results in people being ejected out of the vehicle/decapitated in high speed accidents, also results in injuries in low speed accidents.

5. Improperly maintained vehicle (bald tires, very popular in Sri Lanka)

and so on.

What amazes me the most about people here is how everyone thinks its fashionable to:

1. Drive while drunk (many people make it a policy).

2. Drive without seatbelts.

So, how many of you AL members regularly use a seatbelt :)?

Edited by Saturn

I would say that speed increases the risk in any situation.

Also, Immaturity kills. I.E person who does not know how to properly handle a vehicle at high speed is liable to get killed. This happens to people who are used to driving at a slow speed (e.g. in Sri Lanka) who try high speed driving (e.g. outstation) and loose control of the vehicle.

On the subject of death.. I think the following kill:

1. tiredness/affect of medications

2. alcohol

3. speeding (increases the risk)

4. Not wearing a seat belt (results in people being ejected out of the vehicle/decapitated in high speed accidents, also results in injuries in low speed accidents.

5. Improperly maintained vehicle (bald tires, very popular in Sri Lanka)

and so on.

What amazes me the most about people here is how everyone thinks its fashionable to:

1. Drive while drunk (many people make it a policy).

2. Drive without seatbelts.

So, how many of you AL members regularly use a seatbelt :)?

I always wear a seatbelt plus encourage my passengers to wear too. Without seatbelt beign worn the air bag to that particuler side wont work in a event of collison

So, how many of you AL members regularly use a seatbelt?

Always wear it!!!

& its mandetory when travelling in the "Z" - its rather useful to keep little lankans in place without whooshing about in those big seats designed for American posteriors!! :lol:

but regardless of the vehicle - its impossible to get my parents to belt up!! :angry: ...why is it that people of that generation find it so hard to use such a simple safety device?? :huh: ...i mean its not like someone asked them to wear protective goggles & a fire retardent suit né! <_<

Always wear it!!!

& its mandetory when travelling in the "Z" - its rather useful to keep little lankans in place without whooshing about in those big seats designed for American posteriors!! :lol:

but regardless of the vehicle - its impossible to get my parents to belt up!! :angry: ...why is it that people of that generation find it so hard to use such a simple safety device?? :huh: ...i mean its not like someone asked them to wear protective goggles & a fire retardent suit né! <_<

Oh yeah, true that.... my parents absolutely HATE when i insist that they belt up..... i thought it was just them, but apparently it's a generation thing.....

I suppose so too. Dad anyway.

My Parents too, but you can't really say it's a generation thing, cause I know

so many of my generation and younger who don't belt up.

My wife of all people doesn't do so, :angry: knowing that her mom is paralysed after an

accident. (She was thrown out the car cause she wasn't wearing her belt.)

Wifey's excuse is that she feels strangled by it cause she's short. ( Teaching her to adjust the

height hasn't worked either. )

It's really sad that people don't see the reasoning behind belting up until something

happens to them. ( Sometimes not even that. )