• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Engine For Maruti Gypsy

Kim

Hey ALL,

one of my friends are planning to buy a Maruti Gypsy and to modify it to be used on OFFROAD's ;) at current he is a owner of a Defender 90 and Tomcat 101, also a Mitsubishi Jeep 4DR5..

he feels that engine capacity of a basic maruti gypsy wont be able to performe well with big Mud Terrain tyres, so he is planning to mount a Japanese Engine instead of the 1000CC maruti engine which come with it.

de' problem is' it should be a Rear Wheel drive engine to couple with the Maruti Gear Box? so please help the guy, and please tell available options and ideas.

Thanks,

Kim

Wow you are planning my next project!! :D

Suzuki G16B 16valve 1.6L is the ideal engine and straight in too.The turbo Garrett VNT25 will make all your off-road dreams come true.This engine is available with local vendors.

Suzuki J20 16V DOHC engine is bit too overpowered i belive.

Good luck!

MINIACE

Hey ALL,

one of my friends are planning to buy a Maruti Gypsy and to modify it to be used on OFFROAD's ;) at current he is a owner of a Defender 90 and Tomcat 101, also a Mitsubishi Jeep 4DR5..

he feels that engine capacity of a basic maruti gypsy wont be able to performe well with big Mud Terrain tyres, so he is planning to mount a Japanese Engine instead of the 1000CC maruti engine which come with it.

de' problem is' it should be a Rear Wheel drive engine to couple with the Maruti Gear Box? so please help the guy, and please tell available options and ideas.

Thanks,

Kim

There is also a 1300 cc engine which comes standard on the Gypsy - maybe he could look for one of those.

Machan G16B is a turbo.came in early 90 model Vitaras.Since its Turbo them are gathering dust at second hand dealers.Could be cheap since no serious buyers.Dont worry about the state of the turbo.GaretteV series' are easy to repair.

And dont forget to upgrade the brakes.Buy Suzuki used one from a vendor.

Good luck mate!

MINIACE

he asks if this engine is Turbo or Non Turbo? he is asking for your e-mail address or yahoo id.. :) he is HAPPY with the fast reply's. hehe :P

The 1300cc Suzuki Samurai engine should fix into the Gypsy without any prob.

at current he is a owner of a Defender 90 and Tomcat 101, also a Mitsubishi Jeep 4DR5..

i have gotta ask at he risk of it being slightly OT - what on earth is a guy who owns a Defender 90 preping a Maruti off road in?? :blink:

& when you say TOmcat - you mean to say that a Sri Lankan got down a Space Frame & GRP body and landed it on a Range Rover Chassis ????????? :huh:

:o

who on earth is this guy???!!! :huh:

Pictures PLEASE!!!!! - cuz seeing IS believing in his case!!

...but i really dont see why he'd waste time on a Gypsy :rolleyes: if he really did have all that u say he does Bro - Kim seriously bro - need to see some pics of this!!

Kim bro even I wanted to ask about this Tomcat 101? Whats that and who owns it?

I know famous Bowlers' made a Tomcat 100 based on a Range Rover and later made it a Wildcat.

Please clarify this machan.

well the Tomcat is essentially the predecessor of the Bowler Wildcat

Land Rover came in 90 & 110 inch wheel bases as per the defender & 100" for the Discovery and Range Rover

usual route to prep a competition off roader was to build on a 90"

but this new Space frame & GRP panels idea was quite revolutionary as is made the vehicles lighter and stiffer and even easier to modify

these were mounted on either of the 100" or 90" chassis and in somecases on newly built galvanized 88"chassis meant for series Land Rover replacements

its unheard of that any such kit ever made it do SL - and even if it , why someone would not use it for its primary purpose which is racing is an even bigger puzzle!!!

:blink:

yeah even i thought of that Mini - but no ones ever called a Forward Controls a "Tomcat" :blink:

...the mystery deepens and KIM's disappeared leaving us in suspense! :lol:

Kim ..I think your friend fella fooled ya by claiming something a tom100 or 101 hah?

hmmm. calm down, calm down! i am rite here, yesterday i was kind of loaded with work, he've seen all your comments, and when i just prepared to answer them my self' of course getting the details from him, 'cos i dont know much about this Jeeps and OFFROAD stuff.

he is in making a account for him self, and he will post the pictures! 'of course SEEING is beliving!! and BTW i verified those pictures my self before posting all that details. u think i am a skul boy? hah? :P hehe.. anwways.

await...

Of course I’m not rich enough to get an original Tom cat so I will tell the story of mine. I was truly fascinated by jeeps from the very early age ( my dad is also a jeep nut) and after doing my A/L I got my first 4x4 a land rover defender and I have visited most of the remote place in Sri Lanka. So I wanted to come to off road rallies and decided not to use my faithful friend – D90 but to come up with a new one. The story of my version of “Tom” started like that.

I started the project by getting a defender 110 donor vehicle and removed the body of it completely. Went 4 a 110 Cause it was bit difficult to find old rage rovers and discovery in SL so instead of using as it is I customized it to a 101 wheel base with some additional features for a better ground clearance.

Talking about the body it is completely a “roller cage” and the only difference with an original tom is I have used a “Inter cooler turbo diesel 2.5 instead of a petrol

V8. so the vehicle is almost done and doing “Finishing touches”. In Sl Osanda was the first one came with the “Tom cat” concept(not the one used for rain forest challenge). :P:P

This is me and my D-90 @ yala B3

IPB Image

In the middle of the project!!

IPB Image

Hey San4X4, welcome to Autolanka! So I see you've started your project.

Going back to the question about the Gypsy, anything that fits in the Samurai should fit init. Check on the web, there are loads of engine options that've been tried on the Samurai. Even in the local 4X4 scene there's a modified Samurai with a Toyota 2ltr petrol engine. I've also seen cases where the 2ltr Toyota Diesel (2C i think) have been fitted to those.

Edited by madmax

Hey San4X4, welcome to Autolanka! So I see you've started your project.

Going back to the question about the Gypsy, anything that fits in the Samurai should fit init. Check on the web, there are loads of engine options that've been tried on the Samurai. Even in the local 4X4 scene there's a modified Samurai with a Toyota 2ltr petrol engine. I've also seen cases where the 2ltr Toyota Diesel (2C i think) have been fitted to those.

Nop This not the gypsy but the customised 4x4 that i have modified for rallies and it's nearly done. theat why i wanna atart a new poj... u na// nuts................