• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

:: Land Rover 4x4 Event ::

dragster

It IS Osanda's. And I THINK its done locally, but I don't know for sure.

Machan, the 6 wheel drive Defender is not local... i saw this at the motorshow some time back when it was first out.. its something done by land rover... the gentleman there was explainng stuff about it.. it runds on a 6Cylinder engine (dont remember capacity).. its got a wheelbase of 138 but land rover doesnt call it a Defender 138... :) aparently there's 2 of these in SL.. the other is in the udawalawe elephant orphanage or some elephant related place far far away.... the owner of this silver one had found it and made it up just in time for th e auto show... but now i see it in Kolpity everyday.. i dont know if the Land Rover agents bought it or something...

nice work Pericles, whos 6 wheel defender is dat? was it a custom modification done locally?

According to what I heard, This one came to SL Army with some kind of a veapon mounted and later it was sold for scrap. Osanda got it and did lot of work to get this into current condition. Its known as 6X6 LRPV.

Preveen, great job with pics. Thanks.

-----------------------

The Long Range Patrol Vehicle was introduced into service with the Australian Army in November 1991. This vehicle is used to carry out medium and long range reconnaissance over continental Australia by the Special Air Service Regiment (SASR). This vehicle has an integrated cab and body structure with stowing facilities for equipment and rations as well as a low profile canopy over the crew area. The cab has two seats, no door and a removable windscreen. Mounting are provided for two machine guns (MAG 58 and MINIMI) and a 250 cc motorcycle which can be carried across the rear of the body.

Army has 27 of these vehicle, most of which are located in Perth with the SASR. The vehicle is part of the range of six wheel drive Landrover variants operated by the Australian Army, the other being a 4 litter ambulance, a general maintenance (workshop) vehicle, an electronic repair vehicle, air defence variant and general cargo vehicle. The Long Range Patrol Vehicle is easily loaded and transported in the C130 Hercules aircraft, which, coupled with the inherent high mobility of the vehicle itself, provides the ADF with an excellent strategic reconnaissance and long range patrol capability for Land Forces.

Crew - 3

Radius of Action - 1300 km unsealed roads

Max Speed - 95 kph

Length - 6.020m

Height - 2.050m

Engine - ISUZU 4BD1T Turbo charged 3.9

------------------

husar021yx.jpg

lrpv0id.jpg

lrpvfire8tq.jpg

Machan, the 6 wheel drive Defender is not local... i saw this at the motorshow some time back when it was first out.. its something done by land rover... the gentleman there was explainng stuff about it.. it runds on a 6Cylinder engine (dont remember capacity).. its got a wheelbase of 138 but land rover doesnt call it a Defender 138... :) aparently there's 2 of these in SL.. the other is in the udawalawe elephant orphanage or some elephant related place far far away.... the owner of this silver one had found it and made it up just in time for th e auto show... but now i see it in Kolpity everyday.. i dont know if the Land Rover agents bought it or something...

no man... it's done locally.. how do i know ? well at the last year 4x4 event.. I was having a drink with the owner after the event... and he told me all about how it was done and stuff... he told me that even landrover was surprised of his modification... anyways I'm not so sure about the other 6wheel.. but he said there's only one of them... and he's thinking of mass production...

no man... it's done locally.. how do i know ? well at the last year 4x4 event.. I was having a drink with the owner after the event... and he told me all about how it was done and stuff... he told me that even landrover was surprised of his modification... anyways I'm not so sure about the other 6wheel.. but he said there's only one of them... and he's thinking of mass production...

machan, there is some truth in what you heard. I just followed up on this. Osanda got the chassis only from Army it seem. They built the entire body from scratch. Current engine is a Toyota( not confirmed). Where original on LRPV is a 3.9l Isuzu diesel.

ok..what does Osanda look like.. the person who told us this was a short old gentleman probably early 50s.... bald head.... i guess i was taken for a ride by some dude who wanted to loko like the owner..! :D

as for the other jeep he mentioend to us i remember it being 'elephant related' cos he said that it was donated to the orphanage and can carry an elephant upto 250kg.. and my friend and i were having a good laugh saying you'd have to put an elephant on quite a strict diet if you want him laoded on that jeep. :D

but if it has been done in SL, man thats quite an feat!! hats off to the dude who did ut... me curious to know how he got 2 landrover Differential bars connected at the rear end...though i'm not a big fan of its big fat wheels...

by the way, WHY is it parked at the Land Rover showroom all the time?

Osanda has built this vehicle on top of a 6 wheel platform that he found at some scrap yard. I belive the orginal vehicle is a landrover LRPV or else a range rover fire engine. I've seen 6wheel range rover fire engines at the Naval base in Trinco. The body he has put together with new body parts and stuff that was fabricated locally. As I can remember he once mentioned that it's running a landrover V8 petrol engine.

Osanda has built this vehicle on top of a 6 wheel platform that he found at some scrap yard. I belive the orginal vehicle is a landrover LRPV or else a range rover fire engine. I've seen 6wheel range rover fire engines at the Naval base in Trinco. The body he has put together with new body parts and stuff that was fabricated locally. As I can remember he once mentioned that it's running a landrover V8 petrol engine.

there IS a runnign V8 land rover engine that i know of.. but its in a Defender 90 that the owner used to race at meets... i saw this engine like 2 years ago in the Defender i'm talking about... not sure if its still int hat jeep.. cos as i remember the owner had pulled it our of a old range rover..

as for the other jeep he mentioend to us i remember it being 'elephant related' cos he said that it was donated to the orphanage and can carry an elephant upto 250kg.. and my friend and i were having a good laugh saying you'd have to put an elephant on quite a strict diet if you want him laoded on that jeep. :angry-smiley-048:

As this story had interesting pieces to it I spoke to a friend of mine who is in SL happened to know some details about this 6X6.

According to what I heard, there is an elephant related land rover in Wild life conservation which came as a donation from UK to bring orphaned baby elephants out of woods it seems. But is is not a 6X6. It is a highly modified possibly with a longer wheel base 4X4.

As far as Osanda's 6X6 it is true that chassis was picked from scarp yard (same army story I mentioned earlier). They built the body with new parts and locally fabricated ones and brought up to current excellent condition. Either way full credit should to go Osanda and crew who are masters in LR trade. Heard that engine in that is a Toyota but with the oil filler cap with Land Rover logo :angry-smiley-048: and that was shown in AutoVision as an original LR engine.

As for the identification of Osanda, dark short haired guy in pic. is him according to the description I got.

osanda9ur.jpg

dsc024867oc.jpg

As this story had interesting pieces to it I spoke to a friend of mine who is in SL happened to know some details about this 6X6.

According to what I heard, there is an elephant related land rover in Wild life conservation which came as a donation from UK to bring orphaned baby elephants out of woods it seems. But is is not a 6X6. It is a highly modified possibly with a longer wheel base 4X4.

As far as Osanda's 6X6 it is true that chassis was picked from scarp yard (same army story I mentioned earlier). They built the body with new parts and locally fabricated ones and brought up to current excellent condition. Either way full credit should to go Osanda and crew who are masters in LR trade. Heard that engine in that is a Toyota but with the oil filler cap with Land Rover logo :D and that was shown in AutoVision as an original LR engine.

Autovision... i seriously think its crap now.. this week i was channel surfing when they were showing some yamaha bikes and i hoped a R1 would be there.. it wasnt.... anyway then the host goes "yes, in the past we've brought you segments and instructions on how to drive a heavy vehicle and how to be a good driver in it... so lets go to the next sement and after watching that you will also be able to drive your heavy vehicle like the drivers in this segment.."

and the segment.. some stunts performed by some BIG-RIGs and some HUGE earth-moving dump-truck.. and i'm like how the HELL is one of our sri lankan drivers going to be abvle to do that just cos he watched this... and there was this truck with a rocket engine fitted on it... true it was an intersting thing and like a "drop of info for you" kinda segments.. the host really needs to be changed.. he asked for the price of a bike after the yamaha agent had already said it was some 125,000.... its like he asks questions, but doesnt listen to the guests' answers...