• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Problem

Mahasen

Question

Hi every body,

It is nice to join such a valuble site & first of all I thank all of you who made contribution to this. By the way I have a problem in my car.

it is a Toyota corolla AE 110 (97 model). The problem is its fuel meter goes to zero & indicater flashes when it does 300 km. But when I refueling it; it takes nearly 36L ( petrol) . According to my knowledge this make does 450 km (with full tank) & the refuling capacity is nearly 45L.

is any one had same experience????

Cheers !!!!!!!!!

mahasen

13 answers to this question

These cars usually do about 10-12 per litre and more when it comes to urban areas.. the light burning up does not actually say that the tank is empty but is more of a sensor depending on the level at which the fuel is.. ya ll notice that once the car goes to a side or over a small bump which has the car shaken a bit, the light usually goes and again pops up.. the level at which the fuel is literally finished is when the indicators goes below E (3-5 mm below E)..

As fuzzo said that indicator might mention that there could be even 10l of fuel in the tank.. The easiest way for you to check your vehicle for fuel efficiency would be to pump full tank. Have the attendant there shake the vehicle a bit so that the fuel would occupy the entire tank and pump as necessary to the extent where the tank can take it no more.. run around as usual for about like 1 week odd (note the amount of kms afterwards!) and then again goto the gas station and pump full tank (following the same procedure as earlier). Check the amount pumped and based on the kms run within the period of the last full tank pump ya could compute your fuel efficiency..

If it is below 9 kmpl then i suggest you have the air filter cleaned and spark plugs cleaned/replaced, further more an engine tuneup wouldnt hurt. Check the oil filter too..

Zz

the refill light comming on early is fairly common on Toyota of that era esp

your reserve ought to hold anything upto a max of 10L's

in my case i frquently see the light comming on once the needle goes a smidgen below the quarter tank mark! :blink:

if you want to really see what your efficiency is like - i suggest you pump a full tank & run it until the needle hits the empty mark - regardless of the ligh

be smart about it though - if it consistently does 300 - see if you can squeeze out 350 kms (as@an avrg of 10kmpl - that works out to 5L which should still leave a bit more from the reserve)

also note running it to the bottom of the tank is not advisable on a regular basis as all the sedement has a tendency to clog the filters a tad

the petrol metres on cars are not the most proportionate in thier representation so measuring how much its done on the top quarter if the tank and basing your efficiency figures on that would be flawed

you should be getting around 10kmpl - as suggested by your own note on the 450km range - but running it to the last drop is not advisable...

conduct a proper full tank range test and then come to your own conclusion

do post the results Mahasen and lets see how much it'll do :)

First of all a BIG THANK to Devinda_Z, neXGen & Fuzzo for giving me valuble informaiton & advices. Yes, next time I'll do full tank method & let you know the results... Comming week end I'm planning to go Galle. So hope that I can do the check. So thank you again guys..............

Take care......

Mahasen

Guys..My friend said we can get more fuel effiecency by full tanking the car rather than filling it several times halfly. What's ur ideas on this?? And also can anyone describe the advantages of using 95 octane petrol than 90 octane..

Guys..My friend said we can get more fuel effiecency by full tanking the car rather than filling it several times halfly. What's ur ideas on this?? And also can anyone describe the advantages of using 95 octane petrol than 90 octane..

quite a few ideas shared on those lines...hope it helps :)

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...2&hl=octane

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...9&hl=octane

Thx...Dev. I got some ideas on it. So since my car is bit old one (90 grand civic) better to hang with 90 octane. But those discussions still remain one thing. Wht is the best fuel? IOC or ceypetco?

Can u guys kindly express ur ideas..

From what i hear, there is no debate bout what quality of petrol both ceypetco and IOC supplies but merely the agents agenda... especially the IOC station near greenpath where they have mixed water into it..

both IOC and ceypetco get their fuel from the same source.. only thing is that ceypetco is partially owned by the govt.. ya should shift the scope of your question as to which fuel distributor/agent is good or not..

Zz

From what i hear, there is no debate bout what quality of petrol both ceypetco and IOC supplies but merely the agents agenda... especially the IOC station near greenpath where they have mixed water into it..

both IOC and ceypetco get their fuel from the same source.. only thing is that ceypetco is partially owned by the govt.. ya should shift the scope of your question as to which fuel distributor/agent is good or not..

Zz

thats a serious accusation abt the Felix Perera shed machan - how exactly can this be verified? :huh:

but as a whole the quality of the fuel "should" be the same as they are refined in the same facilty

I think it is not completely true to say IOC and Ceypetco gets fuel from the same sources,

cos Ceypetco uses local refineries to make some of its fuels and it imports fuels from singapore and other countries as well, but I think most IOC fuels come from the big Indian refineries IOC owns in India,

correct me if I am wrong

I think it is not completely true to say IOC and Ceypetco gets fuel from the same sources,

cos Ceypetco uses local refineries to make some of its fuels and it imports fuels from singapore and other countries as well, but I think most IOC fuels come from the big Indian refineries IOC owns in India,

correct me if I am wrong

i'm also not sure machan - i was under the impression that the crude was brought in from th middle east and stored in china bay after which it was brought into Sapugaskanda for refining and distributed there after

the difference being that IOC held their quota in their tanks which have been leased from the govt :unsure:

thats a serious accusation abt the Felix Perera shed machan - how exactly can this be verified? :huh:

but as a whole the quality of the fuel "should" be the same as they are refined in the same facilty

Forgive me.. not wanting to accuse any station specific but i do iremember this email going around which explained the problem in detail.. and there was a thread in AL relating to the fuel problem and that particular station i remember.. sorry man.. cant point ya out that thread.. loads o conflicting topic but it was in a fuel related discussion..

it could be that IOC s purchasing the refined fuel from sapugaskanda yeah? else news about the IOC fuel depot would have popped up somewhere.. i am not really sure.. environmentally speaking it would take far less power refining fuel from one station and distributing it amongst ceypetco and ioc rather than each having their own refineries no?

Zz