• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw Opens Plant In India

Lalithster

I couldnt belive it when I read the article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6505987.stm

but its true.

This is a great debate issue. Will BMW's prestige come down? When I buy something I look where it was manufactured not just where it was designed. I bought a M3 because it was german engineered and german made. This is exactly why I wouldnt buy a X5 and or Z4 because they are made in the US. Now that the 3 series is going to be made in inda. No doubt this move is to save money and may bring down the prestige level of BMW?

no way :( .... what's wrong with these cheap Germans.:angry:.. BMW's done :o

Mercedes already has a plant in India. They make the c200 and e200 there. It has been in operation for more than 10 years now. But dopn't expect Indian assembled ones to be damn cheap! they are just marginally cheaper.. and in the second hand market it the same case....

It might be made in India but it won't be affordable!

Edited by madmax

which ever way they'll still carry those German badges and quality shouldn't be too far apart

Aside from that from a ecoomic atand point,the only was for them to capitalize on that huge 1 Billion + population is to start operations there!

but then again although they sold at the same price brand new , the second hand prices for such cars made in countries outside of germany had a lower value né...

but isnt the Honda Accord made in India a tad onto the cheaper side on account of it being Indian made? :huh:

I couldnt belive it when I read the article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6505987.stm

but its true.

This is a great debate issue. Will BMW's prestige come down? When I buy something I look where it was manufactured not just where it was designed. I bought a M3 because it was german engineered and german made. This is exactly why I wouldnt buy a X5 and or Z4 because they are made in the US. Now that the 3 series is going to be made in inda. No doubt this move is to save money and may bring down the prestige level of BMW?

i saw this sad news in CNN, i think they open it near chennai :(

Dont know if Toyota brings indian made products

well Toyota get the bulk of thier cars from Thailand if i'm not mistaken - the HiLux & fortuner are built on the same basic platform and are definitly from there :mellow: - not sure abt the Yaris n Corolla but i doubt very much that they're made in Japan :unsure:

but then again although they sold at the same price brand new , the second hand prices for such cars made in countries outside of germany had a lower value né...

but isnt the Honda Accord made in India a tad onto the cheaper side on account of it being Indian made? :huh:

You are definitley right. The Mbenz ML is produced in the US. Its starting price was very high but its second hand value is less than half. Another great example is the Honda/Acura . During mid production they started producing the HOnd in the US and whats funny is the older version made in japan has a higher resale valvue than the newer one made in the US

You are definitley right. The Mbenz ML is produced in the US. Its starting price was very high but its second hand value is less than half. Another great example is the Honda/Acura . During mid production they started producing the HOnd in the US and whats funny is the older version made in japan has a higher resale valvue than the newer one made in the US

realy? And how does Acura preforme on resale?

This is reality. And it's hardly a bad thing. BMW assembled cars in Thailand and South Africa as well. India and China is developing at a crazy rate (while SL s going backwards). So all manufacturers are rushing into these markets.

It make sense to have a plant in these countries since they are huge and growing fast.

Of coz there'll be differences in quality but that difference will be offset by the price difference. Indian labour must be so much cheaper than German.

Usually when a company would outsource its manufacturing to a developing nation it would obviously outsource its technology.. meaning that even though its built in India, the quality would still be retained... the norm impression nevertheless is "Oh shit.. indian crap.." but with correct implementation and management, this investment would reap ripe fruits in no times for BMW..

Zz

according to the article they moved the plant to india to over come the 60% duty for cars imported to India. And since its growing I guess it would be a good investment, but I wouldnt buy one.

So which also means the indian buyer is also now capable to own a BMW, what a growth. If any indian dude is reading this forum right now he would be laughing.

So which also means the indian buyer is also now capable to own a BMW

not just BM bro

India has its own fully fledged ROLLS ROYCE showroom in New Delhi - thats not all , even Lamborghini & Bentley have a presence in the sub continent! :o

not too shabby for the chapathi n curry crowd eh! :lol:

So which also means the indian buyer is also now capable to own a BMW, what a growth. If any indian dude is reading this forum right now he would be laughing.

Now why would that be? Besides the entertainment value u provide, of course. Don't need to be Indian to laugh at that.

• 9 months later...

Bmw is just one of the carmakers that are now manifacturing and assembling in India.

Its a long list..

Suzuki has made India their home.They sell more in India than they sell in Japan!!!!

They are launching their next global car from India, complete from sratch, including the design in India.

Fiat is now in India in full force.They are launching 7 new cars in India in this one year alone.

Toyota is in Inda in a big way, manifacturing in India.

Daimer chester is in India in a big way, Merc cars now made in India and exporting to even europe.And did you know that a Mercedes car Made in India has the highest quality rating for a mercedes made outside Germany???

They are opening a second plant near Mumbai.

Hyundai, they have made India home!!!! Majority of Hyundai cars are made in India.Invested more than INR 100 crores in 2007 for R&D in India. Cars made in India exported all around the world including europe.More Global launches from India are expected.

Volswagan has just opened a plant in Gujrat,North India, looking to make it big here in India.

If I keep Profiling about each and every company, I will have my fingers sprained!!!!

I will now come straight to BMW.

Bmw selling in India like hot cakes, I would not be surprised if they open two more plants.

Quality of manifacturing is not an issue anymore in India, it is worrld class!!!!

Bmw presently assembling cars in India with 20% local content presently and aims to make it 50% shorly, and by the way, dont expect cuts in costs for a Bmw made in India!!!!

Will BMW's prestige come down? When I buy something I look where it was manufactured not just where it was designed. I bought a M3 because it was german engineered and german made. This is exactly why I wouldnt buy a X5 and or Z4 because they are made in the US.

hehehe.... why aren't I'm surprised to hear these comments from you

As both neXGen and GTAm expressed, since only the manufacturing is outsourced BMW will have a close eye on the quality and if there is a slight drop in quality this will be offset by the price tag. If TATA is to build a car to compete with the BMW's then i too will raise an eye brow but this whole different story.

I find it very disturbing to see South Asians (sri lankans in this case) scrutinizing the work ethic of India. India is the world’s second fastest growing economy almost hitting double digits. Main reason the world economy as a whole is driving forward even when the US and Japanese economies are in the brink of recession is due to the big four immerging markets.

We should be proud and learn few lessons from the way India has turned itself into a major force in the world.

There is nothing to debate here. This is the reality. India and China are the fastest growing economies in the world. USA is in the wake a recession. I would be surprised if BMW does not make use of the opportunity. If a business can’t find new opportunities/ can’t be grown in competitively, it would be vanished eventually, regardless of how great their product was.

I don't think quality will be much of an issue as the plant will only be used for assembly. I'm sure all the high risk components like enignes, gearboxes, drive train ...etc will be brought in from their respective factories.

Edited by Blazin

Disaster has struck again! This time 2 down. earlier they planted MERcedes in India..this time BMW.. :angry-smiley-048:

No wonder why half of the Sri Lankan TV channels are turning Hindi and Tamil. :angry-smiley-048: But sofar good news for owners since they could have parts shipped fast.