• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Miss After Gas Conversion

Newbi

Question

I got my Toyota Regus Van (EFI) converted to gas about a month ago. The conversion was done at a place in Dematagoda somewhere near where Toyota show room used to be. Bout a week after the conversion the vehicle developed a miss when it was running on gas. There were separate gas injectors connected to the manifold ( Manifold was drilled to accommodate the injectors)

When we took it back we were told the spark plugs were bad and so we put in a new set of plugs. Now there is a miss even when driving on petrol.

Took it several times to the place the conversion was done but no improvement.

I took it to Toyota Lanka and they initially refused even to take the vehicle in as there policy was such that they did not accept vehicles that were not in their original condition. Any how got the vehicle in but they said that there is nothing that they can do.

So here I am in deep trouble. Any ones help with advice or recommendations to where I can take my vehicle to get fixed will be greatly appreciated…………PLSSSSSSSSS HELPPPPPPPPPP.

I Finally had the problem sorted out by the guys who did the Gas conversion. Sorry it took me soo long to upload that devolopment. Toyota sure could not diagnos the problem cause it was too simple for them. The problem was damaged plug wires.

cheers

Thanks and

Cheers

Edited by Newbi

10 answers to this question

Hi,

Did toyota lanka tell you why there was nothing they could do ?,

i am not sure exactly what the problem is to be honest but getting it checked out by a good mechanic might help, my mech Wasantha is quite good, though I do not know if he has any experience with your particular problem, but it can't harm to get him to take a look, worst case he will just say its beyond him,

he is located on the base line road and if you are driving from borella junction towards kalaniya bridge, he is the garrage just after the rail crossing (which comes after the prison)

i am sorry dude thats all I can suggest but i feel for u,

The Don

To be honest I don't think anyone who owns a car should convert to gas unless you are being forced to do so with a company car. Ive heard many sad stories. If you think you're trying to save money on petrol think again. Expect your spark plugs to melt now and then because the engine usually overheats. Performance is cut down by 20%, and the car just feels sluggish.And the reason I know all of this because a friend had to have this done by the company he worked in for his sonata. The car used to stall each time he pressed the button to change to gas if he was not over 3000rpm.And he had to go up n down to the gas station because of the fuel tank being so small. Its really not worth it.

But now that you've done it try getting it checked up by la*ghs. The engine does get damaged sometimes if the conversion is not done properly. make sure the tubes in the gas cylinder are always open fully, so that the gas can flow easily to the engine.

Toyota said nothing about why they could do nothing, save that it was company policy not to do any work on modified systems. I was hoping they would at least do a proper computer diagnostic, at least to see if there was a problem that could have been diagnosed that way. But the report I got was about if my Oil needed to be changed and the condition of the shock absobers. A load of help that was.

Any way I thank all those who replied with advice and if there are any others who can and are willing to help out with more advice and suggestions it will be much appriciated.

Thanks and Cheers.

Edited by Newbi

Dude.. try Dons mechanic man.. seen loads o good stuff bout the fellow :) else I am not sure.. would Zakie be able to diagnose the problem using his diagnostics?

And yes.. gas conversions are literally dumping the engine in the grounds of hell.. have heard loads of unwanted crap happening to people who has gone forth with gas conversions.. i guess there would be no chance of a rollback eh?

Just came to me mind.. i know of an individual who had his car which was gas converted back again to the normal state.. drop a mail off to [email protected] so i could give you his details..

Zz

I think the only good thins is but this is a guess the 2L EFI engine on the van should be pretty easy to find thus a manifold should not be too difficult to source, if no solution could be found to the problem.

then your only option is to take the van back to the gas conversion place, tell them to remove the conversion kit and refund you your money (or threaten to take them to court) install the standard manifold in, change the plugs again and hope things will go back to normal,

as kia suggested maybe the plugs have melted, cos now the miss happens on petrol as well, or carbon deposits have clogged the injectors, but a good mechanic should be able to explain atleast the petrol miss,

The Don

Dude.. try Dons mechanic man.. seen loads o good stuff bout the fellow :) else I am not sure.. would Zakie be able to diagnose the problem using his diagnostics?

hmmm if Laughs does machanical work why not check with them cuz they are fairly reputed for decent conversions ya? :huh:

doubt Zakies hardware will work - i was under the impression that he only worked with Nissan and Honda? :huh:

Actually Zackie might be able to scan and identify the problem, fact is you probably can take it to Macro or even the famed place on Darley road to get a diagnostics done, but it maybe something that an experience mechanic might pick up anyway and if necessary then it could be taken for a diagnosis cos i have experience with both the above places, and they have the tools but not the skills to solve problems.

I suspect either a problem with the plugs, injector clogging or one or more of your sensors most likely the oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold is faulty, but a diagnostic scan on the engine would indicate this straight away. But I do not think newbi has anything to loose by paying and getting an engine diagnostic done under the pretext of getting a tune up maybe and then asking for the report, or if i was him, I would just take the car to a good tech like Zackie, Nadheera there have been many mentioned in the forum (in my case Wasantha) and they should be able to give you even a rough idea what the problem is,

The Don

OK... First of all I may be wrong.. if so please correct me..

Normally a car when it's converted to Gas there are 3-4 important things to check.

1. Plugs

2. Air Filter

3. Hi tention Cables

4. the Air & GAs Mixer

Most of the time we don't feel the need to check 1-3 when driven on petrol... the only difference we feel would be a increase of fuel consumtion... but when converted to gas... the system becomes sensitive... old plugs, the hi tention cable ( i was told that on normal conditions this should be changed after 100000Km even on petrol)...all these needs to be attended.

Air filter needs to be cleaned very often...

Misses could be due to any of the above... too much of Air Flow in the mixer, Plugs,Cable,

Did the guys who did the convertion tune the car???

So here I am in deep trouble. Any ones help with advice or recommendations to where I can take my vehicle to get fixed will be greatly appreciated…………PLSSSSSSSSS HELPPPPPPPPPP.

Thanks and

Cheers

with apologies for dragging up an old thread, were you able to fix this problem?