• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Diesel Suv For Permit

madmax

Best Diesel SUV for Duty Free Permit  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your choice

• Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel
    • Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel
    • Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel
    • Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

there is no image for those korean makes and nissans even for Prado (may be in S Lanka). If U are after image buy a BMW X5, Porsche Caynayne, VW Tourage, Volvo (can not remember the model).

Those aren't available on the permit so that is irrelevant. And we are only considering the image in Sri Lanka and not Australia. Does the Cayanne even come in Deisel?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where r u getting ur info Parak, ive seen a lot of Korean and Japanese SUVs on the road in Australia, not everyone is going to indulge on a BMW X5, so the X-Trail might not look that much but it is great off-road trust me

• 2 weeks later...
Cool down mate, That's how Nissan people say, Just chicks and mums running kids to the school drive this Xtrail in here, Nissan Patrol is a highly recommended off roader second to Land curiser not the Xtrail, People buy Suzuki 4x4s if they want to go off roading

I do not know if you caught the Top Gear episode in which about 20 SUV's of the same genre as the X Trail including the Rav 4, Grand Vitara, Santa Fe, were put to the test and the X Trail came on top ! especially when it came to off road capabilities, so essentially the X-trail leads that class ! in the only objective comparitive test which I have seen on the subject (though I must admit it was a year ago)

I think very few SUV's ever make it off road, and that should not be the criteria used for comparison in this matter, as people usually use these permits to purchase vehicles for everyday usage, and the main reason for considering SUV's are the poor condition of SL roads, not any desire to go off roading !

• 2 weeks later...
Where r u getting ur info Parak, ive seen a lot of Korean and Japanese SUVs on the road in Australia, not everyone is going to indulge on a BMW X5, so the X-Trail might not look that much but it is great off-road trust me

I read little bit (cars guide every saturday) and get info from my friends who are members of 4x4 clubs and bike culbs and some are crazy modifiers. I look for the marketing statics etc. Best opinion I can get it just by observing and listening to the people who are interested in Motoring. I agree there are lot of korean SUV and cars in the some because they are cheap, buy on installment payments or leased and sell off after3- 4yrs. Then the people can not afford to buy a new car (students or on the doll) buy those second hands. They are cheap as chips (Very good condition Hyndai Excel for 150000 Rs). But there is a no image.

Just check the results of this poll, Why X-trail got only 12% of the votes. Thats what the public opinion

Edited by Parak

• 1 month later...

Hi There

Did you try the Hyundai Tucson?

I checked with Hyunday Lanka some time back, they said that only the 2WD is on offer for the permit of the lower limit (14k US$).

its a good vehicle. several of my friends are using the Petrol version and is quite happy with their choise.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

I have been following your discussion.What you guys think about KIA SPORATGE and KYRON.Is it worth to go to Kia sporatge regardless of lower price of Kyron?

The new updated Kyron looks good and is a more spacious vehicle compared to the Sportage. Between the 2, I will take the new Kyron.

• 3 weeks later...
As of now the diesel SUVs confirmed as available for the permit are the Montero sport and Hyundai Tucson. However the following list inlcudes posible additions in the future...

Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel

Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel

Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel

Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel

Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel

Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

In ur opnion what is the best choice out of these? Back you choice with comments. This poll will help a lot of interested parties to decide.

The prado actually comes with a 3.0l engine and not the old 2.8l unit.

• 2 months later...
Go for the MISTUBISHI Sport.Thats the Best !!!

This thread is so obsolete now. Since I first posted there have been many changes to the choices available. I'de say the Rexton is the best value for money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...