• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A/c Evaporator Coil Leak

Qwerty

Question

Hi,

My car a/c evaporator coil has developed a leak. One of the auto a/c shops diagnosed the problem and quoted me 17k to replace (malaysian part) and service. There are 2 places in the coil where the leak is present.

My problem is, I have already done the same repair around 1.5 years back from the same shop. They said it normally lasts for atleast 3 years, and the warranty covers only 1 year so they can't help on it. I don't know how this happened; I do drive daily with a/c on. I should blame my fate.

Anybody here knows an alternative (cheap) way (other than a replacement)? How about welding? Please recommend me the places too.

Thanks in advance.

16 answers to this question

Coils are priced from 4500/-. Depends on the Brand. and it directly linked with the cooling capability. Cheap ones are Korean ones and Malaysian ones. U can replace a cheapest coil and fill up gas after cleaning the system for less than 12k with R134 gas, Including Filter. Hope u r other parts are working fine. Better show u r car to another place. Ask for a quotation. So u can get an idea. The main factor in the coils to get leaked is the rust. cause is dust which absorbed mainly from inside the car. A/C shop ppl recommends to service the A/C systems once a year. So rust can be delayed somewhat.

Coils are priced from 4500/-. Depends on the Brand. and it directly linked with the cooling capability. Cheap ones are Korean ones and Malaysian ones. U can replace a cheapest coil and fill up gas after cleaning the system for less than 12k with R134 gas, Including Filter. Hope u r other parts are working fine. Better show u r car to another place. Ask for a quotation. So u can get an idea. The main factor in the coils to get leaked is the rust. cause is dust which absorbed mainly from inside the car. A/C shop ppl recommends to service the A/C systems once a year. So rust can be delayed somewhat.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely consult another shop.

But, how about welding? is it not possible on these coils?

yo bro, I hope I can help you in this matter coz I happened to come across with a professional A/C guy who always try to save some money for us. He repairs things where ordinary A/C guy would ask you to replace such as worn out A/C compressor. If you still have this trouble I can give his phone no. Wonder thats allowed in this forum ?

Hi Harshana, your contact sounds most helpful as I have had the same problem a number of times,

I manager to get my AC evaporator repaired by a guy in Maharagama though I wont recommend him as I had to argue a lot to get things done (such as to install in a new (used) compressor I had sourced to fit in as the one which was fitted in had some problems,

I think the moderators have allowed to give out phone numbers of such contacts in the past, though I am not sure of the exact policy, though you can try, and if there are any objections they will just delete the post, but obviously you do not have any malicious intent so I doubt you would be reprimanded even if the content is found to be unsuitable

The Don

Hi Harshana, i also need to check my AC. i have a problem with my AC from last week and want to check what the problem is. these AC guys are hard to believe and they are telling so many things.. its better to checked by a SURE GUY... pls post his number.. thanks bro

Hi,

My car a/c evaporator coil has developed a leak. One of the auto a/c shops diagnosed the problem and quoted me 17k to replace (malaysian part) and service. There are 2 places in the coil where the leak is present.

My problem is, I have already done the same repair around 1.5 years back from the same shop. They said it normally lasts for atleast 3 years, and the warranty covers only 1 year so they can't help on it. I don't know how this happened; I do drive daily with a/c on. I should blame my fate.

Anybody here knows an alternative (cheap) way (other than a replacement)? How about welding? Please recommend me the places too.

Thanks in advance.

The level of cooling you would get from the malaysian / korean coils is considerably less than the original factory fitted ones. Actual length of the coil, number of cooling fins, material it's made out of is different. If your car is fitted with an electronic thermostat, that too may not work properly if the coil is changed.

You may want to consider fitting a second hand original coil (which should of course be properly checked out before buying). It would also be cheaper than the option you have already checked out.

Hi Harshana, i also need to check my AC. i have a problem with my AC from last week and want to check what the problem is. these AC guys are hard to believe and they are telling so many things.. its better to checked by a SURE GUY... pls post his number.. thanks bro

his name is Sanatha Bandara qualified A/C engineer and his main subject area is marine air conditioning and when he has free time he does auto a/c. Recently he did a complete overhaul of the a/c system of my 406 with completely removing the dash also he's proven to repair a/c systems of highly sophisticated 407, 307, 306 s as well. A fellow peugeot owner has referred him. the job was awesome go ahead and check that out here's the phone number - 0714274683

his name is Sanatha Bandara qualified A/C engineer and his main subject area is marine air conditioning and when he has free time he does auto a/c. Recently he did a complete overhaul of the a/c system of my 406 with completely removing the dash also he's proven to repair a/c systems of highly sophisticated 407, 307, 306 s as well. A fellow peugeot owner has referred him. the job was awesome go ahead and check that out here's the phone number - 0714274683

Where is he based Harshana ?

The level of cooling you would get from the malaysian / korean coils is considerably less than the original factory fitted ones. Actual length of the coil, number of cooling fins, material it's made out of is different. If your car is fitted with an electronic thermostat, that too may not work properly if the coil is changed.

To echo Nira's advice- i got slammed on friday with a full A/C overhaul. I'd noticed that my cooling was a lot less over the last few weeks, so was expecting the worst, since i hadn't serviced the system in over a year. I took a chance of a recommendation by friend who sends his company vehicles to a small-time operator on vauxhall street.

So i left the car friday AM, and he called me 30 minutes later to give me the damage report. My coil was shot, as was my filter/evaporator, but luckily the compressor was fine. So he gave me the choice of a Malaysian Brand coil (10k) and the OEM Denso (20k). Given i wanted the least amount of trouble, i bit the bullet and went for the Denso... the full repair cost me 30k. Big ouch. But, despite that, i have to say the AC cools brilliantly- ultimate test is at midday, in traffic. So no regrets. Having said that, i can't be sure how much of a difference the Malaysian one will be.

But my take is that if you can deal with the added financial pain of replacing a unit (japanese or otherwise), do it. You'll find yourself dealing with less issues long term.

As far as i can tell, this chap was quite honest. He itemized everything he charged me for, and gave me the choice of the cheaper option, explaining the pros-cons.

His operation isn't quite impressive visually, but he gets the work done. Amusingly, he washes the car after job completion- not as a perk, but out of necessity, since he's located under a tree full of crows...and inevitably the car gets bombed by birdshyt. I'll get back with a recommendation after i run the car for a few more days.

I was able to repair my evaporator coil (welding) and now my a/c works fine (cost: 5k). But, the only problem is (as somebody mentioned already), the elctronic thermostat didn't work after the repair. I had to install a manual one (temporary solution) until I go for a new coil.

To echo Nira's advice- i got slammed on friday with a full A/C overhaul. I'd noticed that my cooling was a lot less over the last few weeks, so was expecting the worst, since i hadn't serviced the system in over a year. I took a chance of a recommendation by friend who sends his company vehicles to a small-time operator on vauxhall street.

So i left the car friday AM, and he called me 30 minutes later to give me the damage report. My coil was shot, as was my filter/evaporator, but luckily the compressor was fine. So he gave me the choice of a Malaysian Brand coil (10k) and the OEM Denso (20k). Given i wanted the least amount of trouble, i bit the bullet and went for the Denso... the full repair cost me 30k. Big ouch. But, despite that, i have to say the AC cools brilliantly- ultimate test is at midday, in traffic. So no regrets. Having said that, i can't be sure how much of a difference the Malaysian one will be.

But my take is that if you can deal with the added financial pain of replacing a unit (japanese or otherwise), do it. You'll find yourself dealing with less issues long term.

As far as i can tell, this chap was quite honest. He itemized everything he charged me for, and gave me the choice of the cheaper option, explaining the pros-cons.

His operation isn't quite impressive visually, but he gets the work done. Amusingly, he washes the car after job completion- not as a perk, but out of necessity, since he's located under a tree full of crows...and inevitably the car gets bombed by birdshyt. I'll get back with a recommendation after i run the car for a few more days.

thats good news, when you said OEM Denso, did you mean an original replacement for your existing evaporator or a denso replacement of the correct size which was adapted to suite your car by welding in the horses

On welding- the job may not be guaranteed as the chances of failing are high.. so in the case of leak after welding you will have spend twice on gassing & labour, once on welding, and again on the new coil. I that katta really worth it?

thats good news, when you said OEM Denso, did you mean an original replacement for your existing evaporator or a denso replacement of the correct size which was adapted to suite your car by welding in the horses

OEM as in generic Denso replacement- correct size, but as you have surmised, needed new plumbing!

On welding- the job may not be guaranteed as the chances of failing are high.. so in the case of leak after welding you will have spend twice on gassing & labour, once on welding, and again on the new coil. I that katta really worth it?

Actually pila the chances of failing on the weld is quite low especially if the job was done properly, what would usually happen is one the piping has been fitted in it would be pumped full of notrogen or whatever and left on a pressure guague for about 1/2 hour to see if the pressure drops

on my car the evaporator is actually undergone a welded repair and 2 years after its still pretty ok, but i am still mindful that i will have to replace it sooner rather than later, the reason why i didnt do it then is because the place i went to didnt have the proper evaporator to fit into mine and i was in a hurry so i took a risk on the weld