• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Iridium Ix, Close Up

Saturn

Test time span: 10,000kms

For:

1. Tip looks pretty good still,

2. plug fires flawlessly always

Against:

1 Expensive! (1600 each vs 300 for a normal plug)

2. Not mechanic proof: Be very careful when you install/remove these, don't let local mechanics do the job. Otherwise you could end up with a broken plug, like this:

IPB Image

Close up of tip:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Another plug:

IPB Image

Conclusion:

If you want the best, iridium is probably as good as it gets, but be careful during installation/removing: The external ceramic portion is very delicate

Edited by Saturn

I've seen even the fakes go for around 1600 bucks.. I'm wondering what it takes to break a plug like in the first pic.. as I remove my plugs frequently..

Personally I would never spend on Iri plugs. they are certainly not the best choice. Theres another thread on this somewhere.

I've seen even the fakes go for around 1600 bucks.. I'm wondering what it takes to break a plug like in the first pic.. as I remove my plugs frequently..

Personally I would never spend on Iri plugs. they are certainly not the best choice. Theres another thread on this somewhere.

do we need to change the wire gauge when we fix Iri plugs?

do we need to change the wire gauge when we fix Iri plugs?

Do you mean the high tension wires?

Don't need to change them unless they are not working properly.

You can test them with a multimeter set on resistence. If the resistance for one or more wires is too high or indicates a broken wire then you should replace, but usually the wires outlast plugs and don't have to be replaced too often?

These plugs are original.

I'm baffled myself as I use many different NGK's and never encountered something like this. I did consider mailing them to NGK for analysis but I doubt it would be worth the hassle and I'm sure they know about the problem.

On the positive side, the plugs worked flawlessly, and the tips are in pretty good shape (except for a bit of residue on the first plug due to a rather lean mixture).

Edited by Saturn

The differences I've experienced with iridium are:

1. They don't foul up, don't need to be checked as such.

2. Excellent for cold starts, picking up on low gears, sudden acceleration etc. I would say they are more responsive.

3. Use a bit less energy (tiny tip makes spark easier).

@Pila: Which brand/type of plugs do you use?

Edited by Saturn

factory recommended NGK-R (Japan, Honda ones)

Are they the ones with the V groove type?

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techi.../q08/index.html

I've used them and had some positive experience with them (I find them better the standard NGK

On the subject of genuine plugs, NGK has some info here:

IPB Image

NGK Also has useful info on Iridium plugs including how they work, and the benefits they provide, in terms of increased power, better fuel economy etc:

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techi...dium/index.html

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techi...02_4/index.html

Edited by Saturn

Do you mean the high tension wires?

Don't need to change them unless they are not working properly.

You can test them with a multimeter set on resistence. If the resistance for one or more wires is too high or indicates a broken wire then you should replace, but usually the wires outlast plugs and don't have to be replaced too often?

These plugs are original.

I'm baffled myself as I use many different NGK's and never encountered something like this. I did consider mailing them to NGK for analysis but I doubt it would be worth the hassle and I'm sure they know about the problem.

On the positive side, the plugs worked flawlessly, and the tips are in pretty good shape (except for a bit of residue on the first plug due to a rather lean mixture).

thats good info Satarn. Thanks! Might as well stick with the NGK i got now