• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A Decent German Diesel

nilakicha

Im looking for a good Diesel German Car, eyes these - BMW 320-5/330D, Merc C220CDI or Audi A4 2.0TDI, registered around 2000-2001. What area's should I look into and how are there performances generally. I tried looking over the net for Diesel German Marcs performances and came up almost empty handed, so looking to you guys for some input.

My opinion is basically, a Diesel 2-2.8 liter engine can do well on fuel and has enough torque to pull its weight and accelerate at a decent rate.

What concerns should I have - or what should I keep a look out for.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking for a good Diesel German Car, eyes these - BMW 320-5/330D, Merc C220CDI or Audi A4 2.0TDI, registered around 2000-2001. What area's should I look into and how are there performances generally. I tried looking over the net for Diesel German Marcs performances and came up almost empty handed, so looking to you guys for some input.

My opinion is basically, a Diesel 2-2.8 liter engine can do well on fuel and has enough torque to pull its weight and accelerate at a decent rate.

What concerns should I have - or what should I keep a look out for.

try the classified in this site , there are couple of 320D's advertised including a red facelift version with 150BHP

try the classified in this site , there are couple of 320D's advertised including a red facelift version with 150BHP

Yeah, and I'll personally endorse that it fits the "can do well on fuel and has enough torque to pull its weight and accelerate at a decent rate" criterea. Thing goes like a B****! :D

Yeah, and I'll personally endorse that it fits the "can do well on fuel and has enough torque to pull its weight and accelerate at a decent rate" criterea. Thing goes like a B****! :D

Thanks for the info guys. Still compairing between the three, cos all three seem good, but considerationgs again at resale, maintenance, cos def a 2000-01 reg wud be 100k plus km's meaning almost overhauls.

any tips here???

Thanks for the info guys. Still compairing between the three, cos all three seem good, but considerationgs again at resale, maintenance, cos def a 2000-01 reg wud be 100k plus km's meaning almost overhauls.

any tips here???

Already all 3 cars will have depreciated a lot, especially the Audi, (so don't worry too much about depreciation). So that will be the bargain. However the Audi has a very hard ride, no where near the BMW and the Merc. So I would not consider the Audi.

The BMW is the best drivers car out of the trio. But when it comes to maintenence and resale Merc is on top. So it's a matter of your priorities! Good luck.

There's also the VW Passat TDI which is very similar to the Audi but roomier and cheaper and the Peugeot 406 2.2 HDI down market in this company but worth a look.

Already all 3 cars will have depreciated a lot, especially the Audi, (so don't worry too much about depreciation). So that will be the bargain. However the Audi has a very hard ride, no where near the BMW and the Merc. So I would not consider the Audi.

The BMW is the best drivers car out of the trio. But when it comes to maintenence and resale Merc is on top. So it's a matter of your priorities! Good luck.

There's also the VW Passat TDI which is very similar to the Audi but roomier and cheaper and the Peugeot 406 2.2 HDI down market in this company but worth a look.

HI GT

Thanks for the heads up. I did some searching n came up exorbitant pricing for the 320D's. A4's go the same but at times slightly cheaper. Considering power n Torque, Merc's fall slightly short of the Beamer n Audi. So I'm left with considering the Beamer or the A4. Quite a lot of good reviews on the Beamer though on handling and power, n the 320D's got quite a lot of power and torque over the A4.

Still considering cos of budget constraints. :) thanks again bro.

Cheers

I can get you a good deal if you're interested. I had my car on the classifieds, Contact admin, he will divert you to me.

Hey all you BMW gurus, I am about to jump in and get myself a 1994 300- BMW 318i (manual) with only 80k on the clock, Second owner but the guy keeps the car locked up in his garage like a virgin daughter. I know there are many posts and topics on this regard and I have cut and saved almost all of them. What am I to expect with a 318 this old? Its a M43 engine and according to the web and various sites, its cracking engine, not as powerful as you would expect (115hp) but very reliable if taken care of. I love BMWs, especially E36s and believe it or not I am prepared to accept all kinds of criticisms from all over this. But hey.... who cares..... BTW, I am selling a Toyota to finance this...if you can imagine how crazy I am, I might have to change my handle from VVTi to VANOS!!!!

PLS HELP!

Beware of bimmers that are rarely run. Bimmers are made to be used. I know a lot of vehicles that had problems coz they were sitting in the owners garage most of the time.

What kind of problems? the guys takes it out on weekends and sometimes in the nights. I have been checking it out very closely and nothing that I can see rings any bells, but then I am not an expert. He has almost all the service history records with the Agents and nothing major was done. I can take it to Milroy and check once I am really ready to buy and he seemed ok about it. I checked for oil leaks, radiator leaks, rust spots, water damage in the pipes, leak on the beadings on the sunroof, wind noise, rattles thuds, squeaks and the like. It just smells like an old car should and nothing out of the ordinary. All the buttons work, windows slide up with no effort, lights work, heck, its almost too good to be true.

What kind of problems? the guys takes it out on weekends and sometimes in the nights. I have been checking it out very closely and nothing that I can see rings any bells, but then I am not an expert. He has almost all the service history records with the Agents and nothing major was done. I can take it to Milroy and check once I am really ready to buy and he seemed ok about it. I checked for oil leaks, radiator leaks, rust spots, water damage in the pipes, leak on the beadings on the sunroof, wind noise, rattles thuds, squeaks and the like. It just smells like an old car should and nothing out of the ordinary. All the buttons work, windows slide up with no effort, lights work, heck, its almost too good to be true.

As a previous owner of 2 E36s here's my 2 cents worth -

First some questions.

1. When you say this only takes it out on week ends and nights, does he really give the car a good thrashing or is he the type who'll be p***y-footing it around? If it's the latter then beware, as the moment you start driving it the way it should be driven things will start going wrong.

2. This is a UK import right? If so check if the AC is done properly - See if all the functions on the AC and heater works. Local jobs bypass lots of the functions :( .

It's a bit strange that after 80,000 miles and thirteen years he's not done anything major :unsure: . If so expect to do the Air con up pretty soon as various pipes will have corroded or valves blocked etc if not serviced regularly.

A test drive should tell you the health of the suspension. It will feel a lot more sophisticated compared to your Toyota, but corner as hard as the owner will allow and if you notice a slight nervousness then suspension will need replacing. It should be rock steady. Brakes should be rock steady too.

Take it to the redline in each gear and see if it loses acceleration suddenly and revs race up - as you can guess that means time for a new clutch kit. It can be quite deceptive at low revs.

It's a great idea to get a total check done by Milroy.

Yes it might look crazy that your selling a (probably newer?) Toyota for a 94 BM, but I don't blame you one bit! I would do the same :D

Nice car to drive and it's my favourite 3 series as well, altho I have not driven an E90 as yet!

Thanks GTAM, he took me out in her the other day and he did push her, and she did sound sweet. He takes her out over the weekend and I think he does a Kandy -Colombo run for whatever the reason, so I guess that is a good enough workout for any car. And he did say its an early morning and a late night run. So I am assuming he opens her up.

Also, you are right about the 80k and the lack of a real mechanical job, but then my trusty and bloved -121 has done more than 120k and I am yet to change even the CV, I guess its about how you use that matters sometimes. Like I said, once I take her to Milroy, all will be revealed and I will take his advise.

Yes yes yes, I am getting rid of a 2000 -121. How crazy can anyone be??????? Buy hey, life's too short, eh?

THank you for the heads-up and will keep you posted.

i assume you mean 80k miles not kms... that's not exactly a sparingly used car :)

Kms machang. Consdiering the car is almost 15 years old and 12 out of that spent here, I 'd say its sparingly used. God, its not even mine yet and I am defending it!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha

Thanks GTAM, he took me out in her the other day and he did push her, and she did sound sweet. He takes her out over the weekend and I think he does a Kandy -Colombo run for whatever the reason, so I guess that is a good enough workout for any car. And he did say its an early morning and a late night run. So I am assuming he opens her up.

Also, you are right about the 80k and the lack of a real mechanical job, but then my trusty and bloved -121 has done more than 120k and I am yet to change even the CV, I guess its about how you use that matters sometimes. Like I said, once I take her to Milroy, all will be revealed and I will take his advise.

Yes yes yes, I am getting rid of a 2000 -121. How crazy can anyone be??????? Buy hey, life's too short, eh?

THank you for the heads-up and will keep you posted.

Sounds good. Good luck and do keep us posted. Very soon you will wonder how you ever survived boredem in the 121 :lol:.

Kms machang. Consdiering the car is almost 15 years old and 12 out of that spent here, I 'd say its sparingly used. God, its not even mine yet and I am defending it!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha

Hey VVTi,

If the 121 is your only car and you do a lot of running, the 318 may not be the sane thing to do....like you said your self 'trusty and bloved -121 has done more than 120k and I am yet to change even the CV' and most people take that for granted.

You will however get a great drive plus a few more days in the garage less a few thousand on the juice and the parts.

If I had to run around a lot and my work was demanding, I would only buy a 15 year old BMW if I had a Toyota to fall back on at home.

nicely summarised milindu, even though some of the European cars have a mouth watering price tag, they are quite expensive to maintain. you have to set a side a handsome amount simply to keep the car on the road and lot of people don't take this in to consideration.

yes they look sexy and they are rare compared to the common jap cars but all this come at a cost

Hey VVTi,

If the 121 is your only car and you do a lot of running, the 318 may not be the sane thing to do....like you said your self 'trusty and bloved -121 has done more than 120k and I am yet to change even the CV' and most people take that for granted.

You will however get a great drive plus a few more days in the garage less a few thousand on the juice and the parts.

If I had to run around a lot and my work was demanding, I would only buy a 15 year old BMW if I had a Toyota to fall back on at home.

As VVTi said everyone would think he's crazy.....But hey this is a crazy world and not a sane one :D! "And we're never gonna survive unless......we get a little .............carzy!" Remember that song ;) ?

Unfortunately some of us only live once in this world and my philosophy is you can't get the best out of life if you don't seek options out of the ordinary.

While I totally agree with you on the "trusty Toyota thing", I would also say I trust it (the Corolla) fully to bore me to premature aging and numbing me of all my creativity and sensory pleasure.

Again pls don't be offended it depends on what each one values most. For some ppl going on a Ferris wheel is fun, but others need to parachute off a plane :jumping-smiley-013: to get the same thrill.

Some of us can't afford to have two cars. Some of us follow our heart and not the head. They are both right when looked at in different perspectives. The pleasure of having a trouble free but sterile ownership experience vs the pleasure of a mood uplifting driving machine that winks at you everytime you look at it but makes you sweat extra and grind your teeth on some days!

Real driving enthusiasts are bound to choose the latter riskier move while the sensible cautious personalities will opt for the former.

I used 17, 15 and 14 year old BMWs (in that order) as my only car previously, simply because I wanted something special and could afford just one car. And hey I've not just survived but graduated to Alfa Romeo ownership as my only everyday car which is still considered crazy in many parts of the world.

I guess this is getting very OT but it would be nice to have a topic like this won't it? To discuss why they bought their car they drive etc etc.

As VVTi said everyone would think he's crazy.....But hey this is a crazy world and not a sane one :D! "And we're never gonna survive unless......we get a little .............carzy!" Remember that song ;) ?

Unfortunately some of us only live once in this world and my philosophy is you can't get the best out of life if you don't seek options out of the ordinary.

While I totally agree with you on the "trusty Toyota thing", I would also say I trust it (the Corolla) fully to bore me to premature aging and numbing me of all my creativity and sensory pleasure.

Again pls don't be offended it depends on what each one values most. For some ppl going on a Ferris wheel is fun, but others need to parachute off a plane :jumping-smiley-013: to get the same thrill.

Some of us can't afford to have two cars. Some of us follow our heart and not the head. They are both right when looked at in different perspectives. The pleasure of having a trouble free but sterile ownership experience vs the pleasure of a mood uplifting driving machine that winks at you everytime you look at it but makes you sweat extra and grind your teeth on some days!

Real driving enthusiasts are bound to choose the latter riskier move while the sensible cautious personalities will opt for the former.

I used 17, 15 and 14 year old BMWs (in that order) as my only car previously, simply because I wanted something special and could afford just one car. And hey I've not just survived but graduated to Alfa Romeo ownership as my only everyday car which is still considered crazy in many parts of the world.

I guess this is getting very OT but it would be nice to have a topic like this won't it? To discuss why they bought their car they drive etc etc.

Nice Comments GT. I'd like to add to what you've said. Well I started this post with the hopes of getting some heads up on which diesel german car I could go for, at a decent price of course, in the range of small -medium saloons. Most would say why diesel? Why German?Why not Jap? Spares?Repairs etc etc. But yeah like you said, theres also the factor of the drive thrill most Jap's fail to give compared to German marcs.

Considering the fuel factor, I've done some research into it, maybe I'm wrong, but diesels can kick the ass of a similar capacity or even slightly higher capacity petrol, cos of the power to weight ratio and torque in a diesel would be far higher than a petrol. Pulling power over the 80's is constant and steady in Diesels.

I was out hunting for a 320D, C200CDI, or A4 2.TDI and arrived at a 2k GG Reg 1.9TDI which has done 58k. Drove it home felt smooth and comfy, gear shifts are slick and smooth. Acceleration seems a bit dodgy, but yet to test it on an open road. Why A4 1.9TDI, well this one was one helluva bargain, really nicely maintained with all records n works, owner a nice gent who is also sorta big time car fan, so he knew his stuff well. Checked its specs and reviews, supposed to give good fuel consumption as well. That too, im yet to find out. All in all id say its a good buy and at a bargain. Repairs and Maintenance yeah i score I suppose '0' there with this one. But then again, at that price if I can get my hands on a decent german car, hell no will I miss it :).

Considering the fuel factor, I've done some research into it, maybe I'm wrong, but diesels can kick the ass of a similar capacity or even slightly higher capacity petrol, cos of the power to weight ratio and torque in a diesel would be far higher than a petrol

and arrived at a 2k GG Reg 1.9TDI which has done 58k.

modern euro diesels are exceptional in the way they provide the idea balance of performance and economy

however there is a slight flaw in your argument regarding power to weight - the reason being that disel cars are , more often than not, heavier than petrols.

primary reason being the composition of the engine block.

since diesels ignite under heavy compressions , the blocks are made of sturdy "cast iron". where as petrols have the advantage of being able to use ligther alloy blocks,thus gaining a weight advantage.

In terms of the power, i belive the torque figure in the petrol sibling of your new aquisition puts out around about the same 150 lbft of torque where as the diesel looses the plot a tad,in that it churns less than a 100 bhp,which is substantially less than the petrol

but once your moving,theres really nothing to seperate the two..

it seems as though you've picked up a real peach :) i dont mean to pry , but would you mind sharing the price with us? the reason i ask is, cuz over the past few months ppl have been quoting prices from 2, all the way upto an absurd 4 million for 1.9 Tdi's! this high disparity has made it hard to gauge the going rate..

Devinda I'm surprised that the a diesel and petrol engine of similar capacities would have the same torque figure :unsure: ? Or have I mis-understood you?

Even if so figures tell only half the story. Diesels' peak torque would be at very much lower rpm than the similar cap petrol and so much more usable in everday trafic.

Some years back I used to regularly drive a 1.9TDI A6 that belonged to a relative. I think it had 140bhp. It was so low in the rev range that I could smoke the tyres in the 1st three (manual) gears while also smoking quite a few VTECs out there as well ;) !

The only place a TDI will be outclassed by a high revving pertol will be on a track. But that is changineg too. Audi has won the Le Mans 24hrs for the last 3 years in a TDI prototype sports car against petrol opposition. This year Peugeot will be campaining their awesome looking 908 HDI though! I think it's end of this month isn't it?