• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can You Get Copped For Having A Muffler !!!!

Terabite

Question

Hi AL Members,

I was just cruising along Braybrook Place, when two cops stopped me..i was a bit confused as to why, nevertheless.. Being a Good driver, got down the car and headed to the cops.

When I asked why i was asked to stop, they mentioned that I cannot drive around with a muffler.. !!!! sounds stupid to me… Is there any think like that in the law books… I felt that he was after some Green Notes… I some how managed to talk my way out of it… But I still remain curious to know, “ what does the law say about having Mufflers??”

God Speed

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

the funny thing is my mini is quite loud, but i have never got copped for noise, (upto now )

my theory will also be the same (factory fitted ) :P if i get copped

i'm sure miniace will agree 99% of the mini's are with loud barrels

i have a very dark tint also in front shutters

but lot of cops are very curious about the 300- number plate :D

Absolutely! Cops stop Minis ,just to have a closer look at them.For many Cops Minis are just magic toys..they dont harm em :D ..just let go :D

Absolutely! Cops stop Minis ,just to have a closer look at them.For many Cops Minis are just magic toys..they dont harm em :D ..just let go :D

Perfectly true, once a copper stopped us when taking the car to get some work done on it without the bonnet.

He actually thanked us for stopping and said he only wanted to get a closer look at a mini engine....... :lol:

(Mind you at the time it was running a Metro flat top engine with a straight through blue swinger exhaust.... that was one pretty loud combination)

Edited by nira74

we can do something like that, :D maybe protest infront of some kind of a ministry :lol:

you'll end up getting your a*s whooped by cops. best thing to do will be to give this issue as much press coverage as possible

we can do something like that, :D maybe protest infront of some kind of a ministry :lol:

That'll be funny. Just imagine thousands of rice-boys parked in front of the Ministry of Transport or whatever, stereos blaring, neons glowing, stickers peeling and body-kits sagging.

That'll be funny. Just imagine thousands of rice-boys parked in front of the Ministry of Transport or whatever, stereos blaring, neons glowing, stickers peeling and body-kits sagging.

ya, for sure they will send us to Angoda :D

It'll make 1 helluva picture... " Minister of Transport invited Ricers for Meeting - Not Agricultural Related "

I stopped last night at green path.. They were checking all the vehicles, they asked me for licence and insurance 1st.. Everything was in order.. And I heard him say to to another cop "meke beat ekak daala ne?"

then came out the big cop, the guy with the shirt out? I dunno what u call those guys.. He took a look at my muffler n sed "mewa daagena duwanna thahang"

I did not step out of the car.. I told him thts how the car came.. And tht guy was saying "nehe meka hayi karala thiyenne"

"harinang meka elawanna denna behe.. Policiyata genihin check karala balanna oney"

I was lucky cos my family was in the car..

The muffler isn't a real big one, it's jus about 3.5in diameter..

Please let me know what I cud do if I face a situation like this?

I stopped last night at green path.. They were checking all the vehicles, they asked me for licence and insurance 1st.. Everything was in order.. And I heard him say to to another cop "meke beat ekak daala ne?"

then came out the big cop, the guy with the shirt out? I dunno what u call those guys.. He took a look at my muffler n sed "mewa daagena duwanna thahang"

I did not step out of the car.. I told him thts how the car came.. And tht guy was saying "nehe meka hayi karala thiyenne"

"harinang meka elawanna denna behe.. Policiyata genihin check karala balanna oney"

I was lucky cos my family was in the car..

The muffler isn't a real big one, it's jus about 3.5in diameter..

Please let me know what I cud do if I face a situation like this?

As i herd, Police is look out for cars with excessive modifications. that includes Spoilers, Performance Mufflers, Bull guards, HID lamps etc..

<!--quoteo(post=48985:date=Jun 1 2007, 08:32 PM:name=lakshank)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lakshank @ Jun 1 2007, 08:32 PM) 48985[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thats the advantage of having a Defender. They never pull me over . I have no revenue license, insurance and still doing around 80 mph looking right into the cop's eyes who points the speed gun. They point it to the sky.

trust me ..this is working and i have never had any problems. even if they signal me to pull over i just give them a wave and step up on gas.

they think i am a friend or someone.

try it out. it should work as it has helped me so far.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well man for your theory to work for the rest of us we would have to own defenders too, and plus I do not think the particular problem in question is that relevant to a defender, but if it is please excuse my ignorance.

Dear Don,

I don't think this is to be taken as a positive thing....Driving against the rules just cos you are in a defender should not be something to be proud of..... Interesting comment to make on a forum !

Please go get the licenses and insurance sorted...It will help ...:) !

Dear Don,

I don't think this is to be taken as a positive thing....Driving against the rules just cos you are in a defender should not be something to be proud of..... Interesting comment to make on a forum !

Please go get the licenses and insurance sorted...It will help ...:) !

First of all that post is well over two years old...secondly Don was replying to lakshank's post,there's some glitch with the forum when displaying older posts with quotes.

Hi AL Members,

I was just cruising along Braybrook Place, when two cops stopped me..i was a bit confused as to why, nevertheless.. Being a Good driver, got down the car and headed to the cops.

When I asked why i was asked to stop, they mentioned that I cannot drive around with a muffler.. !!!! sounds stupid to me… Is there any think like that in the law books… I felt that he was after some Green Notes… I some how managed to talk my way out of it… But I still remain curious to know, “ what does the law say about having Mufflers??”

God Speed

Guys i know this thread is pretty old but i think i might have found the solution for this problem :D

check this out

I got in to the same trouble with cops near piththala handiya,I said that I've removed the cat and that's why it makes the more noise,then the cop asked me to not to go loud in colombo roads since it will catch more attention of cops ,but out from colombo I wont have any trouble. :D

btw folks who found it troubles them ,here's a solution http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5326

Edited by Crazy Life

dude... I dint quite understand u?

I said I don't think the road rules mention anything about mufflers, at least as far as I know. The decision is probably arbitrary based on how bored the cops are and how loud they feel is "enough" to piss them off. Because as I type I can hear a bus exhaust and horn almost 800 meters away down my quiet road. Let's try to see them say that's not a hazard at close distance.

If I got copped for such an issue, first thing I'd challenge them is what SPL (Sound Pressure Level) limits exist for cars in our rules, how are the cops measuring them (do they have SPL meters, or are they using their ears), at what distance is the meter being held (is the SPL limit defined at 1w/1m or what?), what is the decibel weighting (A-weighted, C-weighted), does the meter meet ANSI or IEC standards, how do they know it's calibrated, etc etc. Oh how I almost wish I had this issue just so I can try that out :P Same deal with the window tints (for those cops saying you can only have a "light" tint) or even speed guns for that matter.

Wow... Thanx a bunch for tht clear explaination SeanD...

Thing is the cops put it to u saying that beat mufflers are illigal; that's their point...

Is it true?

Well as us sed, if they need to check, can they take my car to the police station.. I don't like any1 else driving my car :(

Wow... Thanx a bunch for tht clear explaination SeanD...

Thing is the cops put it to u saying that beat mufflers are illigal; that's their point...

Is it true?

Well as us sed, if they need to check, can they take my car to the police station.. I don't like any1 else driving my car :(

Technically, carrying out any modification to your vehicle requires written permission from the commissioner of motor vehicles or summin like that. I do believe third party mufflers fall under that category.

Oh.. So u mean thr's some document that I cud get from the RMV? Any1 who knows abt this proceedure PLS?

Try calling them and ask what the procedure is for what Pericles has said. Although, they may just die of shock since I doubt anyone has ever asked them such a question :P

Concur. They will probably say you need some medical reason to justify. I remember there was something for getting tints that required doctor letters, mod approval, etc, etc. Naturally, loud mufflers don't have a medical reason, so I can't give you a suggestion for an excuse.

Thing is thrs quite alot of cops on d road these days... Specially in marine drive... Mann I jus passed more than 10cops yday night inbetween bamba junc - colpetty junc..

I took the galle road 2day n thr wasn't a single cop frm bamba to colpetty... :)) probably cos it's a crappy road now..