• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Good Is Suzuki Escudo ?

VWvortex

Can anyone with experience on the 2 litre Suzuki escudo please post a few insights on this vehicle..( reliability, availability of spare parts, fuel consumption, ride quality etc)...im talking about the model that came around 1999 and after...

Thanks!

I think you're referring to the SJAE101 model- whats most often seen on our roads...300- to New plates.

Good all rounder- note that it is a proper off roading jeep with a seperate ladder frame/chassis/body and selectable 4WD- not a soft roader, which are based on car chassis.

I haven't seen too many 2L Escudos (JDM) but there are enough 2L Vitaras running around (imported by Browns Brand New). There is also the 1600cc JDM's which came with a Narrow Body (no fender flares, side skirts, wide wheels). That is an ideal model as its economical, lighter and equally capable off road. Most came with full option, and there are a few SWB 2 doors running around as well.

Known Issues: engine TDC sensor tends to conk out at around 40k- as its a distributorless setup, the unit has to be replace completely. Non-use of the 4WD can lead to issues with the front diff, but thats an extreme case. Regular maintainence of the 4WD system will prevent any issues. Thats about it...everything else tends to be your usual japanese bulletproof quality.

Thanks for the info Gunat! Do you know the difference between the JDM Escudo and the brand new Vitara's? Also whats the price difference between these two?

IMO the 1.6L engine might not be enough for the weight of this vehicle

Thanks for the info Gunat! Do you know the difference between the JDM Escudo and the brand new Vitara's? Also whats the price difference between these two?

IMO the 1.6L engine might not be enough for the weight of this vehicle

Great vehicles overall. Fuel consumption is the main downside.

Some parts including certain sensors (available only through the agents) can cost a packet and you may have to wait weeks for them when they rarely go wrong. The airflow sensor for the older JLX 2.0 was in stock at Browns when we needed one for 40K! A client of ours had engine repairs (Escudo) for which the parts took 3 weeks to arrive.

Just to add: Fuel Consumption on the late model Escudo 1.6 is about 10km/l. The engine puts out about 110bhp, as opposed to 130bhp for the 2.0L- so yes, its a little slow...but keep in mind the 1.6 has a lighter body because it comes with narrower tires. and no body trims. Honestly, as a SUV, you won't notice...

As for the parts issue- when Browns were the agents, they didn't keep stock; and the time delays mentioned earlier are accurate.

With A*W running the Suzuki show, it seems to be a lot better. Although we haven't had any major repairs in the last 2-3 years...

Just to add: Fuel Consumption on the late model Escudo 1.6 is about 10km/l. The engine puts out about 110bhp, as opposed to 130bhp for the 2.0L- so yes, its a little slow...but keep in mind the 1.6 has a lighter body because it comes with narrower tires. and no body trims. Honestly, as a SUV, you won't notice...

As for the parts issue- when Browns were the agents, they didn't keep stock; and the time delays mentioned earlier are accurate.

With A*W running the Suzuki show, it seems to be a lot better. Although we haven't had any major repairs in the last 2-3 years...

Hi - to add my 2 cents worth - I have a 1999 ( recon regd 2001) 5 door Escudo. I think the model is TD02. It's been very reliable and great fun to drive. Have driven a 2 litre as well (mine is 1600) but there isn't much difference between the 2.

Hi - to add my 2 cents worth - I have a 1999 ( recon regd 2001) 5 door Escudo. I think the model is TD02. It's been very reliable and great fun to drive. Have driven a 2 litre as well (mine is 1600) but there isn't much difference between the 2.

Hi NahoY ,

Is your's an auto or manual? And whats the fuel consumption in city driving? Also could you let me know the going price of ones of these nowadays. thanks!

Cheers

Can anyone with experience on the 2 litre Suzuki escudo please post a few insights on this vehicle..( reliability, availability of spare parts, fuel consumption, ride quality etc)...im talking about the model that came around 1999 and after...

Thanks!

Hi there

I use Grand vitara XL 7 which got 2.7lit V6 and longer body (7 seats). It uses 1L/7.5km in the city(Australia). In longer distances (110km/hr) speed it uses about 9.5lit/km (which U can't drive in Sri Lankan roads) The ones U after may be lighter and probably use less petrol. These cars are very good at off road driving and(Narrow body, rear wheel drive with proper low and High in 4x4, built on chasis). People used any suzuki in Australia liked there cars and some of them highly modified for off roading (Generally Australian are crazy on off-roading). Pl google Auto guide to read the reviews on this cars which mention other than the low ground clearance these can handle any terrain which land curisers, Nissan Petrol and Land Rovers only can go. We bought this brand new and done 45000km have not had any problems other than two tyre punctures (which comes with 100000 km or 3 yr warranty and 24hrs rescue).

We comparered the prices with the same size korean and other japnese makes Susukis are cheaper and still got the japanese built quality (but not anyway near Toyota). Go to American car websites lot of people own Suzukies appriciated their purchases (whcih has not got a huge brand name). Gunat gave a good comment on this cars under this topic.

I do not know about escudo but Brand new grand vitara comes to australia (2.0lit) and 1.6lit(short wheel base two door) are very nice looking and may be better built compare to Honda CRV. But keep in mind they are AWD rather than the old (before 2006) rear wheel drives.

Google Suzuki.com and follow the links U can down load the specifications of Ur prefered vehicle

Hi NahoY ,

Is your's an auto or manual? And whats the fuel consumption in city driving? Also could you let me know the going price of ones of these nowadays. thanks!

Cheers

Hi - It's a manual, get about 7 - 8km per litre, mostly city running.

Not too sure about the values, but would guess about 2.3 / 2.4 depending on mileage n condition. There was one advertised recently for 2.1 but the mileage was quite high