• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Yaris Or Sunny Super Saloon

pissa

Guys, what do you think is better, the Yaris or the Nissan Sunny SS? (if buying brand new) in terms of driving comfort, fuel consumption, reliability

Hi,

Could I ask, are you referring to the sedan or a hatchback when you refer to the yaris, ? Also could you please be specific about which model of Sunny SS are youreferring to (the N16 version is it since you mention buying brand new)

I think generally speaking, the yaris and the sunny are not in the same class of car, as the comparable model to the Sunny by Toyota is the Corolla (now auris in some markets) which is slightly bigger saloon. I think the Yaris is classed a compact saloon, so in short the Nissan is a bigger car, and would thus have more space.

The Toyotal VVTI engines are reputed to offer better fuel economy than the equivalent Nissan engines (plus the Nissan is a bigger car isn't it, so more weight to carry round) Reliability to be honest I am no expert, but generally speaking very little to choose between the 2 I think, driving comfort, one would assume the Nissan would have the edge there, but I would leave it to somebody who has ridden on both cars (I have never ridden on a Yaris sedan in my life, only the hatchback) to comment on,

Regards,

The Don

Hi,

Could I ask, are you referring to the sedan or a hatchback when you refer to the yaris, ? Also could you please be specific about which model of Sunny SS are youreferring to (the N16 version is it since you mention buying brand new)

I think generally speaking, the yaris and the sunny are not in the same class of car, as the comparable model to the Sunny by Toyota is the Corolla (now auris in some markets) which is slightly bigger saloon. I think the Yaris is classed a compact saloon, so in short the Nissan is a bigger car, and would thus have more space.

The Toyotal VVTI engines are reputed to offer better fuel economy than the equivalent Nissan engines (plus the Nissan is a bigger car isn't it, so more weight to carry round) Reliability to be honest I am no expert, but generally speaking very little to choose between the 2 I think, driving comfort, one would assume the Nissan would have the edge there, but I would leave it to somebody who has ridden on both cars (I have never ridden on a Yaris sedan in my life, only the hatchback) to comment on,

Regards,

The Don

Thanks for the infor Don, Sorry if i was not being specific enough. I was refering to the N16 SS, and the Yaris sedan. The reason for comparing the two, was because both are rougly on the same price range (yaris being a bit more expensive)...corolla is more off in terms of the price, though I suppose you need to compare the Sunny with the corolla.

i guess it's a bit like trying to decide whether to eat a big Mac with a pizza, cos both cost the same, as against comparing two burgers of different brands.... ;)

Thanks for the infor Don, Sorry if i was not being specific enough. I was refering to the N16 SS, and the Yaris sedan. The reason for comparing the two, was because both are rougly on the same price range (yaris being a bit more expensive)...corolla is more off in terms of the price, though I suppose you need to compare the Sunny with the corolla.

i guess it's a bit like trying to decide whether to eat a big Mac with a pizza, cos both cost the same, as against comparing two burgers of different brands.... ;)

I think your own analogy is quite correct, (Big Mac and Pizza), This is just my personal opinion but, in the B210 B310 era I think the Nissan Sunny was a superior car to the Corolla, and they weren't very far apart in nearly all departments right until the FB15 era, when due to premature failures of Oxygen sensors in early models gave the FB15 a bit of a bad starts, though I am told this problem was fixed in later models. I remember Sharkster saying its because of service station guys spraying water on sensitive electrics rather than a fault with the car itself !

The N16 is also not a Japanese made car, do not know where the Yaris sedan is made,

The N16 if I understand correctly from other threads also is not the best performer when it comes to fuel efficiency.

So I think if you can cope with a hardy reliable efficient compact sedan the Yaris is probably the way to go,

But if you want a bit more space, a bigger boot, and a few extra's thrown in (as part of the SS offering) then the Nissan might be worth some consideration.

I think the Corolla 1.3 version would also be on the same price range (maybe) though the 1.3 engine is a tad underpowered !

Down to personal choice really

I think your own analogy is quite correct, (Big Mac and Pizza), This is just my personal opinion but, in the B210 B310 era I think the Nissan Sunny was a superior car to the Corolla, and they weren't very far apart in nearly all departments right until the FB15 era, when due to premature failures of Oxygen sensors in early models gave the FB15 a bit of a bad starts, though I am told this problem was fixed in later models. I remember Sharkster saying its because of service station guys spraying water on sensitive electrics rather than a fault with the car itself !

The N16 is also not a Japanese made car, do not know where the Yaris sedan is made,

The N16 if I understand correctly from other threads also is not the best performer when it comes to fuel efficiency.

So I think if you can cope with a hardy reliable efficient compact sedan the Yaris is probably the way to go,

But if you want a bit more space, a bigger boot, and a few extra's thrown in (as part of the SS offering) then the Nissan might be worth some consideration.

I think the Corolla 1.3 version would also be on the same price range (maybe) though the 1.3 engine is a tad underpowered !

Down to personal choice really

just a quick note:

I dont know anything about nissan. but i have researched about yaris a little. well toyota lanka says yaris sedan they import is completely made in japan. But i doubt that. japanese domestic version of yaris is Belta. it really a good car than brand new yaris sedan.how ever its a nice car in fuel efficiency wise. only problem i came across with that car is when a average tall person(6 ft) sits on the rear seat his head hit the roof. other than that it is a good basic car.Also Yaris has individual suspention mechanism and nissan still doesnt. But nissan has better driving pleasure than yaris i think.

just a quick note:

I dont know anything about nissan. but i have researched about yaris a little. well toyota lanka says yaris sedan they import is completely made in japan. But i doubt that. japanese domestic version of yaris is Belta. it really a good car than brand new yaris sedan.how ever its a nice car in fuel efficiency wise. only problem i came across with that car is when a average tall person(6 ft) sits on the rear seat his head hit the roof. other than that it is a good basic car.Also Yaris has individual suspention mechanism and nissan still doesnt. But nissan has better driving pleasure than yaris i think.

Nino can you explan that bit about the individual suspension, or the lack of it in the Nissan, I thought that was pretty standard in modern cars, our old 1987 Mazda SW had independent suspension on all wheels !!

Nino can you explan that bit about the individual suspension, or the lack of it in the Nissan, I thought that was pretty standard in modern cars, our old 1987 Mazda SW had independent suspension on all wheels !!

This is the second time I've heard someone say that.

Actually the Nissans have a fairly modern rear suspension setup - the multilink beam which is quite a few european front wheel drive cars.

Exerpt Below from Autoweb:

Torsion beam suspension

Most modern mini cars up to C-segment (for instance, VW Golf) employ torsion beam as the rear suspension. Why? compare with double wishbones, multi-link and trailing arm suspensions, it engages little width of the car, thus enable greater rear seat room. It is cheaper too. Compare with MacPherson strut, its shock absorber is shorter and can be inclined steeply away from the vertical, thus engage less boot space.

In fact, torsion beam suspension is only half-independent - there is a torsion beam connecting both wheels together, which allows limited degree of freedom when forced. For some less demanding compact cars, this save the anti-roll bars. On the contrary, it doesn't provide the same level of ride and handling as double wishbones or multi-link suspensions, although in reality it is superior to its only direct competitor, MacPherson strut. Most of the Europe's best handling GTIs employed this suspenion.

Edited by nira74

After having recently driven a brand new Yaris- I'd say go for it.. The car is a well put together package by toyota and the 1300 pulls a lot better than a 1500 Nissan- plus the autobox power delivery is lot crisper and even- its doest have that irritating over/under rev you tend to get on sunny's when taking off on the auto-first gear in a hurry. Also the interior is lot sturdier and refined than its counterpart. Also the comfort level is higher as its got a softer suspension- even with this the car is not half as bouncy as a sunny-handles better as well

I think this guy is a real psycho. I second this guy should be banned from the forum. :violent-smiley-099:

Nobody will get ban from the forum unless he/she does something really bad which is totally unacceptable. That also I will do unless there’s no other choice. In this case Nilantha is just sticking to his own opinion. There’s nothing wrong with that guys. We should learn to respect others thoughts as well. Just like you and Pericles are biased to Nissan he’s into Toyota...and if we look further more we can find guys who are only for Honda and it goes on :) so guys lets not fight over brand names... try to solve matters in a friendly manner shall we...? :action-smiley-060:

Nobody will get ban from the forum unless he/she does something really bad which is totally unacceptable. That also I will do unless there's no other choice. In this case Nilantha is just sticking to his own opinion. There's nothing wrong with that guys. We should learn to respect others thoughts as well. Just like you and Pericles are biased to Nissan he's into Toyota...and if we look further more we can find guys who are only for Honda and it goes on :) so guys lets not fight over brand names... try to solve matters in a friendly manner shall we...? :action-smiley-060:

Respect :appl:

This is the second time I've heard someone say that.

Actually the Nissans have a fairly modern rear suspension setup - the multilink beam which is quite a few european front wheel drive cars.

Exerpt Below from Autoweb:

Torsion beam suspension

Most modern mini cars up to C-segment (for instance, VW Golf) employ torsion beam as the rear suspension. Why? compare with double wishbones, multi-link and trailing arm suspensions, it engages little width of the car, thus enable greater rear seat room. It is cheaper too. Compare with MacPherson strut, its shock absorber is shorter and can be inclined steeply away from the vertical, thus engage less boot space.

In fact, torsion beam suspension is only half-independent - there is a torsion beam connecting both wheels together, which allows limited degree of freedom when forced. For some less demanding compact cars, this save the anti-roll bars. On the contrary, it doesn't provide the same level of ride and handling as double wishbones or multi-link suspensions, although in reality it is superior to its only direct competitor, MacPherson strut. Most of the Europe's best handling GTIs employed this suspenion.

I think mine has this too :D with Anti-Roll bars. :D I'll need to read up on this.

Nobody will get ban from the forum unless he/she does something really bad which is totally unacceptable. That also I will do unless there's no other choice. In this case Nilantha is just sticking to his own opinion. There's nothing wrong with that guys. We should learn to respect others thoughts as well. Just like you and Pericles are biased to Nissan he's into Toyota...and if we look further more we can find guys who are only for Honda and it goes on :) so guys lets not fight over brand names... try to solve matters in a friendly manner shall we...? :action-smiley-060:

Dude, we haven't pitched for the Nissan on this thread. What we are protesting is this stupid don't bother with Nissan attitude. If he had just said, go for the Yaris, no problem at all. We haven't given an opinion on the which car here, in case anyone missed it. I'm assuming the Yaris is comfy coz I have an uncle who prefers riding his Yaris to his C200 kompressor. (I think he's nuts, since I have driven the Merc, but since I haven't driven the Yaris, I don't say anything).

It's not just brand bias this guy is showing. Its pure and simple ignorance. He doesn't know of anything other than a Toyota Corolla and doesn't want to look any further than the end of his nose! And totally irrelevantly, he keeps pushing the Corolla even tho its not up for discussion! Also, I didn't say ban, I said do something. U notice that we don't say anything to Don's post, or anyone else who has said Yaris? Thats a proper pros and cons post that gives info and allows people to make an informed decision. Thats how things need to be handled, NOT by just pushing down a brand and needlessly plugging your own! U know that its mostly dependant on what the driver needs and wants. U have my comments after driving your car, how I prefer mine. And I'll acknowledge far better fuel figures and stuff. I might even want something like that when I’m old and gray and ease and comfort is the foremost thing. U know the never ending debate on the auto vs. manual. Once again, down to the driver and the driving conditions encountered. This is just a bullshit way of trying to contribute.

As for trying to solve matters in a friendly manner, been there tried that, and its getting old now.

Next time I'm gonna edit out pieces like this

remember don't go to Nissan.

He's welcome to keep the rest of it.

Nobody will get ban from the forum unless he/she does something really bad which is totally unacceptable. That also I will do unless there’s no other choice. In this case Nilantha is just sticking to his own opinion. There’s nothing wrong with that guys. We should learn to respect others thoughts as well. Just like you and Pericles are biased to Nissan he’s into Toyota...and if we look further more we can find guys who are only for Honda and it goes on :) so guys lets not fight over brand names... try to solve matters in a friendly manner shall we...? :action-smiley-060:

I’m sorry.... I’ll withdraw my suggestion of banning Nilantha, I just couldn’t realize that this world couldn’t be a fun place without all sort of people. We need to have some nut cases also to pump our blood circulation high once in a while.... :angry-smiley-048:

Just it’s the way Nilantha write his comments. :violent-smiley-030: True enough, I’m a Nissan fan BUT not a blind follower. There are so many better brands than Nissan & there are so many better models in each category. But if you collectively say One brand is not good, that shows how educated he is on the subject. Nissans have very good models, as well as not so good ones, so does Toyota, Honda, Subaru.... list goes on....

So if you have a model like R1 in Subaru, can someone complain Subaru is crap? It’s just that brand is crap. If some one talks with some sense, he should understand to respect others views as well....

I’ll rest my case here....

No pun intended for any nut cases in writing this.... <_<

Would you edit if I say "Go for Nissan"

Nope, I would edit if u said "Don't go for Toyota go for Nissan". Removal of "Don't go for Toyota".

Don't miss the point here. This isn't a anti-Toyota or a pro-Nissan stance. Its an anti-STUPID stance. This isn't the first time and he hasn't GOT A POINT, he's just blabing coz SOMEONE TOLD HIM SO! Not out of experience.

Tho I would have an objection to just "Go for Nissan" too. A model and a justification would be nice.

Nope, I would edit if u said "Don't go for Toyota go for Nissan". Removal of "Don't go for Toyota".

Don't miss the point here. This isn't a anti-Toyota or a pro-Nissan stance. Its an anti-STUPID stance. This isn't the first time and he hasn't GOT A POINT, he's just blabing coz SOMEONE TOLD HIM SO! Not out of experience.

Tho I would have an objection to just "Go for Nissan" too. A model and a justification would be nice.

i can understand your point machan...but pls dont edit other's posts just b'coz it's stupid. Give them the freedom to say anything they want. Let the people to decide whether to accept it or not. Use edit function only if it contain anything related to advertising or inappropriate language..ect

Hi,

If I may add my 2 cents here, people in Auto Lanka are not stupid (though we might have varying levels of intellectual ability and perspective), what I am trying to say here is, that people who read these posts are intelligent enough to filter out the BS and extract the facts. So if anybody makes stupid remarks (I am not suggesting anybody's remarks are stupid), then they will simply and naturally get ignored. So there is no need to really edit out those posts or worry about them in my humble opinion.

At the same time I can understand Peri's and Ash's frustration, I felt somewhat the same in a previous post, and at that time these frustrations were made known to Nilantha and friendly advice given to be more objective if possible. But obviously this is what he firmly believes, and its his right to have an opinion and to present it.

As the old Sinhalese saying goes "Kiyanna kese keewath asanna sihi budhdhiyen yuthuwa asiya yuthui" roughly translated to the ones who does not understand Sinhalese, "irrespective of how or what is said, its the duty of the listener to use his/her intelligence to understand and filter what is being said".

So well done Madz, live and let live I say,

The Don

i can understand your point machan...but pls dont edit other's posts just b'coz it's stupid. Give them the freedom to say anything they want. Let the people to decide whether to accept it or not. Use edit function only if it contain anything related to advertising or inappropriate language..ect

Here you earn more flowers and bottles mate! :appl::alc:

MINIACE