• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

All Car Guru’s - Pls Help Me To Buy My First Car.

vista2007

Hi I'm going to buy a car for the first time. My budget is around 1.8 million.

I have to drive about 40 - 50 Km daily, so the fuel efficiency is expected. I'm also concern about reselling possibility. (both sedan and hatchback considered)

which are the brands and models I should look for.

Thank You :rolleyes:

Edited by vista2007

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can easily buy:

Carina 97 model, 1500CC, comfortable ride, fuel efficiency

Corolla 99 model(very easily fits in your budget) but not roomier as a Carina

Good Luck! and keep us updated :unsure:

Edited by Kim

Isn't the Honda City with its LEV engine a good buy for that price bracket as its quite efficient in fuel,

maybe the Japanese Suzuki swift and the Liana also fall into the same price bracket ?

Hi

Good suggestion but how about the resale value in Sri Lanka. Are those suzukis holding on there market price? . But they are good cars and swift is selling very good all around the world but cant compare with corrolla (different in size). I've seen corrolla is the best (fuel efficient, reliable, parts availabilty) that holds the value even after using for 10yrs (I've noticed it in Sri Lanka, NewZealand and in Australia)

Hi

Good suggestion but how about the resale value in Sri Lanka. Are those suzukis holding on there market price? . But they are good cars and swift is selling very good all around the world but cant compare with corrolla (different in size). I've seen corrolla is the best (fuel efficient, reliable, parts availabilty) that holds the value even after using for 10yrs (I've noticed it in Sri Lanka, NewZealand and in Australia)

The Corolla's are very good cars but he will have to go to a pre 2000 model which sells for arround 1.3-1.6 million SLR, I think you can get a newer car than that for that price, and I was actually suggesting unreg recon cars not used ones !

The Suzuki's are doing quite well especially in the prevailing market conditions where the newer corolla's are selling close to the 3 million mark !

There are korean and malaysian cars in that price bracket but whether its a safe investment is a matter of some debate, especially with regards to depreciation, though it is my personal view the build quality has improved a great deal.

The Corolla's are very good cars but he will have to go to a pre 2000 model which sells for arround 1.3-1.6 million SLR, I think you can get a newer car than that for that price, and I was actually suggesting unreg recon cars not used ones !

The Suzuki's are doing quite well especially in the prevailing market conditions where the newer corolla's are selling close to the 3 million mark !

There are korean and malaysian cars in that price bracket but whether its a safe investment is a matter of some debate, especially with regards to depreciation, though it is my personal view the build quality has improved a great deal.

he is concerned about the selling possibility, meaning that want to sell it quick! thats why i suggested Toyota! belive me, even within a period of a year, still a Toyota owner can make some profit - which means u can simply sell it quick with no pain :rolleyes:

I agree :alc: ( Cos I do not know about the recent trends in SLankan market). I've driven 1.5lit swift which was very good in all the aspects including the built quality and agents (Australia) says 90% of the people test drove the car finished up with buying one. One of my friend test drove Yaris, Hyndai Getz, and swift ended up with buying one of the swifts. How much for a brand new swift in SL

Edited by Parak

he is concerned about the selling possibility, meaning that want to sell it quick! thats why i suggested Toyota! belive me, even within a period of a year, still a Toyota owner can make some profit - which means u can simply sell it quick with no pain :rolleyes:

True, Toyota's are unbeatable for that, its an issue of individual choice, and the fact remains Kim Toyotas are still made out of metal which rusts and deteriorates due to wear and tear and thus you could might end up with a considerably better car, when opting for a newer version simply based on the above assumption. Having said that, I myself admit, I have ridden in a lot of Toyota's which do not show their age, but something has to give when you are nearing your 10th birthday :)

yes i aliso like to say you can easily find;

Carina 97,98,99 model, 1500CC, Manual you can have comfortable ride, fuel efficiency, good image, good Second hand value

also

AE 110 Corolla 98,99 model called REVERA but not comfort than Carina but good fuel efficiency, good image, good Second hand value

True, Toyota's are unbeatable for that, its an issue of individual choice, and the fact remains Kim Toyotas are still made out of metal which rusts and deteriorates due to wear and tear and thus you could might end up with a considerably better car, when opting for a newer version simply based on the above assumption. Having said that, I myself admit, I have ridden in a lot of Toyota's which do not show their age, but something has to give when you are nearing your 10th birthday :)

Agreed! :D

Hi there Thanks for your help. I appreciate very much :rolleyes:

I have some questions to sort out,

I what about the Toyota Vitz, Nissan March (AK 12) and Suzuki Swift.

Do they fuel efficient?

Have good resell market?

2 What about Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 L car. ? I have seen that Lancer Cars are rather inexpensive with compare to other brands such as Toyota, Honda and Nissan.

3 What about the Honda City some people say it is not a good car. Is that true?

4 what about the reliability of a 8-9 years old diesel car. (toyota/nissan)

(I’m bit concern on reselling because my house is supposed to damage due to road expansion. So if I won’t receive a reasonable compensation I have to sell the vehicle in order to build a place to live)

Vista2007, was in the same situation you are in now about a 11/2yrs ago. I drive 48Kms one way everyday to work. So, first started off looking at used Diesels but couldn't find a good one fitting my budget. Finally after many months, settled on a 2000 Honda City unreg recon - I get about 12Kms/ltr driving up/down from near Kochchikade (north of Negombo) on the Colombo-Chilaw road to Kirullapone. Got it for 1.65mil. No complaints after a year & a half yet.

However, if I could do it all over again, I'd find the extra money to get a unreg recon Civic or a Corolla, solely for the higher resale value. Probably the most important thing is to get a vehicel that is reliable and won't break down on you. Plus whatever you do end up getting, make sure it has excellent brakes and tires.

3 What about the Honda City some people say it is not a good car. Is that true?

Thoughts based on the 2000 City. The new model is different…so my comments may not be valid for that.

Lots of people figure that since it’s assembled in Thailand, it must not be good, however, my experience has taught me otherwise.

Things I don’t like about it,

- seatbelts can’t be adjusted for height

- steering wheel can not be adjusted

- windshield washer does not automatically activate the wiper

- no alarm when door is opened or headlights on

What I like about it,

- Fuel economy, avg. 12Km/lt

- Very reliable

- Decent pickup/stability

- All four wheels have disk brakes (although tiny disks & calipers)

- Decent leather interior

- Easily manageable size with moderate room in the back

- Full size spare wheel

Thoughts based on the 2000 City. The new model is different…so my comments may not be valid for that.

Lots of people figure that since it’s assembled in Thailand, it must not be good, however, my experience has taught me otherwise.

Things I don’t like about it,

- seatbelts can’t be adjusted for height

- steering wheel can not be adjusted

- windshield washer does not automatically activate the wiper

- no alarm when door is opened or headlights on

What I like about it,

- Fuel economy, avg. 12Km/lt

- Very reliable

- Decent pickup/stability

- All four wheels have disk brakes (although tiny disks & calipers)

- Decent leather interior

- Easily manageable size with moderate room in the back

- Full size spare wheel

Hi,

After having ridden on one myself I only have 2 criticism for that car,

First and foremost I think the breaks aren't quite up to scratch for that particular car and it can feel a bit unsteady breaking from high speeds, its probably more to do with the handling of the car, or the fact that it is and feels quite light, and feels a bit hairy at higher speeds (though some people might call it lively and exciting) and it is a personal choice. Nobody I know who owns one ever complain about the reliability or the fuel efficiency of that car though :)

I think if you have to do a bit of driving daily a sedan might be a slightly better choice than a hatch back simply because they tend to feel more comfortable, though this is not a universally true factor.

About old diesel car's vista, I would be very careful with them, because I looked all over myself but didn't find a satisfactory example, though my budget was much less than yours. The problem is diesels tend to do a lot of miles and unless they are very well maintained they tend to deteriorate quite rapidly.

The lancers have kind of fallen out of favour because of the issues with the GDI fuel system, though you can get ones with carbs, but thats outdated technology, or thats how its viewed by some, hence the low price.

Hi there Thanks for your help. I appreciate very much :rolleyes:

4 what about the reliability of a 8-9 years old diesel car. (toyota/nissan)

(I’m bit concern on reselling because my house is supposed to damage due to road expansion. So if I won’t receive a reasonable compensation I have to sell the vehicle in order to build a place to live)

I've been using CE110 corolla (1995 diesel) for nearly 11yrs done 196000km haven't had any problem so far used to do 4000km round trips(in Australia) with family (even not a flat tyre). Still going good and still keep the oil level until next service (every 5000km oil change and 10000km filter change). Though not comfortable as bigger versions of Toyota should be ok for shoter runs (under 100km). (They replace water pump when the timing belt is changed at 100,000km service)

Edited by Parak

Hi all Thank for your help :)

please tell me which is the better deal

1) Buying toyota AE110 car around (1.5 - 1.8 million)

2) Buying a Susuki Swift unregistered

3) Buying a Honda City car from the first owner

:rolleyes:

Thank You

I think its a difficult one to call, especially since I see a Swift with 2500 genuine milleage with agents warranty still remaining on the autolanka classifieds. I do not know how much the brand new Swift goes at, but certainly worth a look,

One has to be careful buying old Cars Toyota or other wise, and you cannot trust the meter for mileage for most cars are clocked even before they ever see our sandy shores, I think if you want a proper opinion wait a day or 2 and let more people comment, and then make up your mind,

also please remember the car market is at insane levels these days so there is a possibility it might go down in time, and I do not think spending more than 1.5 million is worth for an AE110 if the classified prices are anything to go by. You can aim for a Carina or Corona at that price range.

The Don