• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Octane 92 for Peugeot 3008

Dear friends

These days octane 95 is Rs.464.00 and 92 is 366.00. Such a big difference.

One of my friend is having a local agent imported Peugeot 3008 and he Is using 92 for TWO years without any issue (without any additives). 

Also, a Peugeot garage owner (who had worked at local agent earlier) told me that 92 is ok for local agent version while UK vesion will get damaged by 92. (May be due to compression ratio difference in cars made for UK and South Asian region)

If you have a 3008 / 5008 imported by local agent and if you use octane 92, can you please share your experience (for how long you are using and are there any engine issues etc.)

UK 3008 / 5008 owners, if you use 92, can you please share your experience as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damitha Amarasinghe said:

Dear friends

One of my friend is having a local agent imported Peugeot 3008 and he Is using 92 for TWO years without any issue (without any additives). 

Also, a Peugeot garage owner (who had worked at local agent earlier) told me that 92 is ok for local agent version while UK vesion will get damaged by 92. (May be due to compression ratio difference in cars made for UK and South Asian region)

If you have a 3008 / 5008 imported by local agent and if you use octane 92, can you please share your experience (for how long you are using and are there any engine issues etc.)

UK 3008 / 5008 owners, if you use 92, can you please share your experience as well.

What does the owner's manual say? If it says 95 Octane is mandatory and any lower would damage the engine I wouldn't pump 92RON.

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer, the owners manual recommends 95RON but states gasoline with an octane rating above 90RON is compatible because the car has a knock control system (almost all modern vehicles have this system afaik) and pumping 90RON or above would not damage the engine.

gI5EUd3.png

If there is no audible knocking sound from the engine after pumping 92 I think it would stand to reason that the knock control system is capable of adapting the engine to 92RON. For example, fellow forum member @misnad tried pumping 92RON to his Civic and had to revert back to 95RON because the engine started audibly knocking despite the knock control system

RosWlh6.png

If you have an ELM327 OBD scanner you can see how much your knock control system is retarding the engine timing to compensate for lower octane fuel. Compare the readings between 92RON and 95RON and if there is not much of a difference it would be safe to assume that switching to 92RON wouldn't be an issue long-term

w4CSBTMh.jpg

Edited by Hyaenidae

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

What does the owner's manual say? If it says 95 Octane is mandatory and any lower would damage the engine I wouldn't pump 92RON.

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer, the owners manual recommends 95RON but states gasoline with an octane rating above 90RON is compatible because the car has a knock control system (almost all modern vehicles have this system afaik) and pumping 90RON or above would not damage the engine.

gI5EUd3.png

If there is no audible knocking sound from the engine after pumping 92 I think it would stand to reason that the knock control system is capable of adapting the engine to 92RON. For example, fellow forum member @misnad tried pumping 92RON to his Civic and had to revert back to 95RON because the engine started audibly knocking despite the knock control system

RosWlh6.png

If you have an ELM327 OBD scanner you can see how much your knock control system is retarding the engine timing to compensate for lower octane fuel. Compare the readings between 92RON and 95RON and if there is not much of a difference it would be safe to assume that switching to 92RON wouldn't be an issue long-term

w4CSBTMh.jpg

What app/software did you use? I have ELM327 and the 406 doesnt seem too happy with 92. Need to get a reading.

1 minute ago, AVANTE said:

What app/software did you use? I have ELM327 and the 406 doesnt seem too happy with 92. Need to get a reading.

Car scanner pro version. Easily the best app for ELM327 readers out there

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&hl=en&gl=US

I also bought a Launch CRP129-I from the winter sale on Aliexpress for $135 including shipping, quite the bargain if I do say so myself. Still waiting for it to be delivered tho

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:40 AM, Damitha Amarasinghe said:

Dear friends

The agents specifically mention that only 95 octane is allowed. Plus the puretech engines are garbage. The mechs love it nobody else really. The fun starts at around 75k. 

Stick to 95. Also the fuel quality is trash now. So not even 95 is trusted.

Price gap sucks yes, but overhaul bills cost 800k. And the HP fuel pump is 350k even imported.

32 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

The agents specifically mention that only 95 octane is allowed. Plus the puretech engines are garbage. The mechs love it nobody else really. The fun starts at around 75k. 

Stick to 95. Also the fuel quality is trash now. So not even 95 is trusted.

Price gap sucks yes, but overhaul bills cost 800k. And the HP fuel pump is 350k even imported.

According to my cheap ELM327 scanner there is hardly a difference between 100% 92OCT and 50% 95OCT when it comes to knock sensor readings...

Got myself a Launch scanner, will repeat the test and see if there'd be a difference