• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What is the difference between Mazda Axela & Mazda 3?

They are both the same car....in Japan the model was called Axela and in export markets it was called Mazda 3 (or 323 in earlier models...had even names like Familia, Protege).

They are pretty good cars. Underrated because it doesn't have a Toyota badge on it.

Now...although I said they are the same car..they are not as well. Because of market differences the engine and transmission options available are different (e.g. the Japanese model Axela might be a Hybrid or come with a SkyActive engine whilst the export model 3 might come with a non SkyActiv engine). Same goes for trim levels and the accessories/features available, upholstery materials used, etc....

For the most part they are pretty nice cars. Much more interesting to drive than the common Axio, Premio/Allion. There are no catastrophic design flaws in it either...so a lot depends on how well the car has been maintained. Finding parts won't be as easy as a common Axio/Premio/Allion for which even Brother Johnny who has a parts shop down the road will have original Chinese duplicate parts. But there are shops that carry Mazda parts. The agent support can be a bit of a hit or miss depending on who the agent is (who is the agent these days ?)

Suspension wise it is a bit stiff which gives it the more sharper drive...some Lankans do not like that as they prefer the pudgy cloudy ride. The seats are nice and firm but I find it a bit slippery and slidey.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Night Fury said:

@iRageSo, we're talking about the models from 2005 to 2007, correct? Additionally, I've been wondering whether it's a good time to purchase a car or wait. 🤔

In general...if you are looking at models from 2005 to 2007 then the engine differences are even less.
As for the question of to or not to buy these days...only you can answer that. Each person's circumstances that dictate the choice is quite different. It wont be a hard decision either...no matter what ever you choose to do you can always make an argument against it.

• 7 months later...
On 2/8/2024 at 9:21 AM, iRage said:

In general...if you are looking at models from 2005 to 2007 then the engine differences are even less.
As for the question of to or not to buy these days...only you can answer that. Each person's circumstances that dictate the choice is quite different. It wont be a hard decision either...no matter what ever you choose to do you can always make an argument against it.

Sorry for bumping up an old discussion but this is Mazda3/Axela related. About this era (2007 - 2010) models, did they come with CVT or Auto Transmission? I tried Wikipedia but couldn't get a clear idea. Comparatively I guess CVT's are better right?   

15 hours ago, amsandun said:

Sorry for bumping up an old discussion but this is Mazda3/Axela related. About this era (2007 - 2010) models, did they come with CVT or Auto Transmission? I tried Wikipedia but couldn't get a clear idea. Comparatively I guess CVT's are better right?   

You might be referring to two different models here (atleast for the JDM). Until 2008 what we got was the BK series. That came with a traditional automatic gearbox or a manutal gearbox. From 2009 onwards there was a model change and we got the BL series. That (in Japan atleast) came with a CVT for the 1.5L variants, a 6spd automatic for the 2L variants and a 

The Axela, i.e. the JDM variant, had three gearbox options. The 1.5L variants came with CVT. The FWD 2L variants came with a 6 speed automatic. The AWD 2Ls came with a 4 speed automatic.

I am not sure about the export markets. However, knowing how the Japanese manufacturers rolled out CVTs I think we can be fairly confident that most of the export variants (i.e. Mazda3s) would have had standard automatics.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I am not sure about the export markets. However, knowing how the Japanese manufacturers rolled out CVTs I think we can be fairly confident that most of the export variants (i.e. Mazda3s) would have had standard automatics.

You mean that Export variant which is the 3 of this time may have Automatic tranny where the JDM Axela may have CVT boxes right? I think we can identify the engine by looking at the VIN to find which exact model we are looking at. I read we can feel the difference of AT and CVT just by driving and experiencing the gear shift. Some listed cars mentions the transmission as Tiptronic. This is a variant of the AT as I understand. Am I correct?

On 9/25/2024 at 2:03 PM, amsandun said:

You mean that Export variant which is the 3 of this time may have Automatic tranny where the JDM Axela may have CVT boxes right? I think we can identify the engine by looking at the VIN to find which exact model we are looking at. I read we can feel the difference of AT and CVT just by driving and experiencing the gear shift. Some listed cars mentions the transmission as Tiptronic. This is a variant of the AT as I understand. Am I correct?

Yes...the export variants still MAY have an automatic while the JDM variants definitely DO have a CVT with the 1.5L engine and standard auto with the 2L engine. Don't go by the Tiptronic alone because the CVT, depending on the variant, still would have a manual shift mode to simulate actual gears. So yes..automatic transmission will have tiptronic while CVT will also have it :)

Look at the ID plate and see what the transmission model is. 

Perhaps you could also go by the gear lever indicators as well but that is not a sure fire way to say it either. You should feel the difference when driving too...hard shifts of an automatic, drone of the CVT..

On 9/28/2024 at 8:42 AM, iRage said:

Yes...the export variants still MAY have an automatic while the JDM variants definitely DO have a CVT with the 1.5L engine and standard auto with the 2L engine. Don't go by the Tiptronic alone because the CVT, depending on the variant, still would have a manual shift mode to simulate actual gears. So yes..automatic transmission will have tiptronic while CVT will also have it :)

Thanks iRage, seems what's mostly available (listed for sale) from 2007/08 time are Axelas rather than 3. Cannot exactly say which is which as I'm yet to go and check one. I'm on the look for a 2nd car and looking at many options. These go for around 6.5 - 7 mil with 150K+ mileage, some nearing 200K too.

Even the 2007/08 Demios with same mileage are around 5 mil mark. Had a demio with CVT, Projection light and many options checked. Turns out the original CVT box has been replaced with a recondition one and so many mechanical repairs done and some ABS related things are around the corner. 

18 hours ago, amsandun said:

. Turns out the original CVT box has been replaced with a recondition one and so many mechanical repairs done and some ABS related things are around the corner. 

Well...sadly cars this age are going to have a lot of work done to them especially if they were owned by someone cost concious people. Dont forget, this was also a period where the Japanese manufacturesrs were first coming out with CVTs. Being their initial attempt these CVTs were nither robust nor refined compared to their modern units.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

cars this age are going to have a lot of work done to them especially if they were owned by someone cost concious people

Yes, the current owner of the car had bought it in 2020 and has done all the above mentioned repairs from time to time. But he also suspects that owner/s before him may have abused the car badly. My mechanic said there were signs of an accident repair too.

• Sad 1