• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

When The Fuel Tank Light Comes On

Stingray

hi guys, just curious to know, when the fuel is low and the warning light comes on on an average how many litres of fuel is left in the tank?

[/quot

Macho , first of all what the is your vehicle ur using. ? It depends onthe fuel type also

Pls let me know the model and engine capacity ! I will answer your question

Regds

D.......

hi guys, just curious to know, when the fuel is low and the warning light comes on on an average how many litres of fuel is left in the tank?

Good question.

It depends on the model of the car (Tank capacity)

Whether it is going uphill or down hill

What I used to do when I start to use a new car.

Find the tank capacity from the manual (or ask an expert).

Fill up the tank and runout the fuel until warning light comes up.

Fill up the tank again. Now U know how many liters the tank holds from the warning(level) to the fillup level. "SAY X"

Now the difference between the total volume of the tank(what's in the manual "SAY Y") and the voulme above the warning level gives U how many liters stays below the warning level to the bottom of the tank

Volume of fuel under the warning level=Y-X

Good luck

Hi d.nigo

i use a Mazda 323 i guess it varies from car to car. Pilawoos- 5-10 litres? i was thinking it would be around 2-3. Always wondered about this since i get a little panicky when the light comes on and the nearest fuel shed is some distance away.

Hi d.nigo

i use a Mazda 323 i guess it varies from car to car. Pilawoos- 5-10 litres? i was thinking it would be around 2-3. Always wondered about this since i get a little panicky when the light comes on and the nearest fuel shed is some distance away.

I use a 323 myself ( 1600 ) and I was told by the guys at Car mart that the tank holds 45 liters,

and when the light comes on its approx 5-6 liters.

Is this from the total 45 or is it an extra 5-6?......

Actually, even if the tank had only 2-3 liters when the light comes on, there shouldn't be a prob

getting to the next Petrol station even if it's 12kn away.

This is unless of course the car gets an economy of something like 4km per liter.

Hi d.nigo

Had a '94 323 myself once.. nope its got be at least 5lt as theres no logic in anything less. The ae100 sprinter we once had was even closer to 15 I'd say

I use a 323 myself ( 1600 ) and I was told by the guys at Car mart that the tank holds 45 liters,

and when the light comes on its approx 5-6 liters.

Is this from the total 45 or is it an extra 5-6?......

This is unless of course the car gets an economy of something like 4km per liter.

I believe you are right SHAI as I generally pump in about 40-42 when I’m on the last bit be fore the fuel light come on. Anyway I was told by several that best avoid running at low fuel regularly as the pump is a submerged one in Mazda’s and as there is no fuel to lube the system the pump get’s damaged…

BTW I got myself a 323 1.6 L as well …. Just curious – How much does your car do per Liter ? Do u use 90 or 95 ? I’ve been getting mixed answers and would like to know from an car on the same level ( Mazda 323 -1.6L) as I believe 1.5 gives a different reading .

Cheers

I believe you are right SHAI as I generally pump in about 40-42 when I’m on the last bit be fore the fuel light come on. Anyway I was told by several that best avoid running at low fuel regularly as the pump is a submerged one in Mazda’s and as there is no fuel to lube the system the pump get’s damaged…

BTW I got myself a 323 1.6 L as well …. Just curious – How much does your car do per Liter ? Do u use 90 or 95 ? I’ve been getting mixed answers and would like to know from an car on the same level ( Mazda 323 -1.6L) as I believe 1.5 gives a different reading .

Hi mazdaspeed..........I've had the car for only the last month, but on average, I get approx 9.5kms per liter.

This is in heavy traffic ( Morning and evening ) plus being a little heavy on the accelarator where possible :rolleyes:

I use 95 and so had the previous owner. Was told by the agents to add in an injector cleaner for four consecutive

full tanks, and also to periodically mix 90octane. ( after

Mail me on: [email protected] an I'll give you a contact at the agents who will be able to help you further.

I use 95 and so had the previous owner. Was told by the agents to add in an injector cleaner for four consecutive

full tanks, and also to periodically mix 90octane. ( after

Interesting...any idea why they asked you to mix with 90?

Hi...... Don't know the intricacies of this, but the it was because 90 has an oil content that will help with the

lubrication of the engine, which the 95 has less of. ( and thus doesn't lube the valves enough )

I was told this should be done only once in a while.

Say, every 4 months sorta thing.

Again, not sure of the intricacies, so I need to verify this.

Actuallly, anyone out there who can shed some light on this???????

Hi d.nigo

Hi ,

I had a mazda interplay 323 1500cc which had a total fuel capacity of 46 liters. ( ref 94' mazda car spec) . The first light indication comes when there's about 8 - 10 liters left. How ever it depends on the surface you drive the car b'caus if its driven on an uneven surface ( rutty road ) with about 10 liters the petrol tank floter does not give a propoer reading and will send a pluse to the fuel light. ( With about 10 liters left if you drive on a strait road the light may not indicate, but if your climbing up hill the light will indicate once or twise b'caus the car is not level.

How ever in mazda's the reserve fuel capaciyty is around 7 liters. When the petrol come to this level the light keeps on indicating continiously what ever the road circumtance is.

Thanks & Regds,

D

Hi...... Don't know the intricacies of this, but the it was because 90 has an oil content that will help with the

lubrication of the engine, which the 95 has less of. ( and thus doesn't lube the valves enough )

That doesn't sound quite right.

Usually the valves need lubrication when running a car that was designed to be used with Leaded Gasoline on Unleaded.

Since both the 90 and 95 octane fuels available here are supposed to be 'unleaded' - there would be no difference in terms of the impact on the valves. Actually there are some lead additives available for use on older engines.

Hi guys! my toyota sprinter marino 1.6L has a 45Ltr tank.. the warning light keeps steadily turned on with a warning message when there are 3Ltr left in the tank (found through the same method explained by Parak). but before that, it tends to comes and goes off time to time...so i suspect in my vehicle the warning first appears when there are 5Ltr left.

Archon

Usually the valves need lubrication when running a car that was designed to be used with Leaded Gasoline on Unleaded.

Since both the 90 and 95 octane fuels available here are supposed to be 'unleaded' - there would be no difference in terms of the impact on the valves. Actually there are some lead additives available for use on older engines.

Remember don’t use Leaded Gasoline or lead additives for vehicles. Lead will destroy the catalyst converter and will damage oxygen sensor. Valves usually lubricate with engine oil.

Unburned Gasoline also will damaged the catalyst converter

injector cleaner use to get clean injectors. but it also don't want to use often.

Yes I do see your point. However, are you sure that both are unleaded?

I also agree with Nilantha, that Injector cleaners should not be used frequently. In fact I was told to use

it only 3-4 times and then stop. Just to do exactly what it's supposed to do........clean the injectors.

Yes I do see your point. However, are you sure that both are unleaded?

I also agree with Nilantha, that Injector cleaners should not be used frequently. In fact I was told to use

it only 3-4 times and then stop. Just to do exactly what it's supposed to do........clean the injectors.

90 and 95 both marked as unleaded but I don’t know its contained lead. Anyway Its shouldn’t contain lead.

When you r using anything than petrol or engine oil read the instruction set of the particular things that you r going to add to fuel or engine oil. It may contain harmful chemicals to oxygen sensor and catalyst converter.

Using Injector cleaners you can’t take at least 60% clean of the injectors. It may only money waist.

Hi shai, click on the link below.it will direct you to an article published by shell.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/ke-en/sh...a_27102006.html

Edited by GearHead