• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Permit Options Just Grew To Its Best!

madmax

The government has given approval to Micro to sell localy assembled vehicles for the permits. This means permit holders now have the option of buying even the Rexton. A base version will be available at 4.3 mil and the 7 seater fully loaded version will be available at 4.6 mil.

I think this is the best deal you can get for you permit.

The Rexton 2 is a good option for any body looking at buying a large SUV. But how well are these locally assembled ones built? Usually these cars are manufactured by fully automated robotic plants and the precise workmanship of these assembly lines ensures a perfect fit all the time. At the end of the assembly line, all the parts become one unit.

But I have no idea how it is done in the local assembly facility. I believe it is a semi knock down kit that is brought in to the country and then put together manually. I would like to know more information on this if any body happens to know exactly how it is being done in the local assembly facility.

If the assembly is not done properly, it will become a never ending disappointment with haunting rattles and squeaks similar to an old hacked car that has gone through many years and miles of abuse. The SL roads will make things even worse. If this is the case you rather put your money in some thing else that is manufactured in a proper way, because it would be a disaster for any body to find out that the new car they bought with their hard earned money and especially after paying those absurd SL prices that they got a lemon. It will be really hard to get rid of it afterwards.

I would really like to find out the honest opinion of people who use these cars in Sri Lanka.

But I have no idea how it is done in the local assembly facility. I believe it is a semi knock down kit that is brought in to the country and then put together manually. I would like to know more information on this if any body happens to know exactly how it is being done in the local assembly facility.

Yes they are imported in knocked down form and assembled manually by hand I was told.

Is it worth while paying about Rs.400K extra and buying a factory assembled one as opposed to the local one? But if I go with that option the Rexton is not available.

I have ordered an Actyon which is already on the ship. I'm in negotiations to see if I can have the Rexton instead?

Is it worth while? Everyone share your ideas.

Edited by madmax

Madmax, personally, I would pay that extra Rs. 400K to get a car assembled in the Ssangyong factory in Korea. The amount paid extra is for peace of mind, and would be worth it.

But in your case, we are talking about a complex situation that involves several different cars. We are not just talking about 1 car but several car options. Well, in my opinion, paying the 400K extra for a car done in Korea as opposed to saving that money for a locally assembled one is a clear choice in favour of Korean one.

As for the rest of the story, I am quite handicapped in giving my opinion as I don’t fully understand the permit schemes and the terms you are bounded within it. If possible, always go for a factory assembled one. About the locally assembled ones, you will really need to speak with the people who are using such cars to get a clear idea.

I really think spending 4.6mil on a locally put together SUV is a risk.. specially considering that you're stuck with it for 5 years? The roads aint getting better.. and Who knows if the local company will survive five years? The local company may not even have the same quality standards as the Korean plant plus this is new vehicle that has not been tested in local conditions.. at the same time you gotta think of resale value after 5 years..

I really think spending 4.6mil on a locally put together SUV is a risk.. specially considering that you're stuck with it for 5 years? The roads aint getting better.. and Who knows if the local company will survive five years? The local company may not even have the same quality standards as the Korean plant plus this is new vehicle that has not been tested in local conditions.. at the same time you gotta think of resale value after 5 years..

Hmm, I think I'll stick to the one I already oredered. It'll be here in 2 weeks anyway.

Hmm, I think I'll stick to the one I already oredered. It'll be here in 2 weeks anyway.
So we're saying here that you'll don't trust that putting the vehicle together in SL is going to work? Aren't all these parts designed and manufactured by the same Kerean company? If so, I don't see any problem in plopping down you money on an example put together in SL. Ofcourse, it would all depend on if there is good quality control of the assembly process and the design/quality of the parts themselves. A bad design is a bad design nomatter where it was put together.

I'm sure there's others out their who will back me up on this and I speak from experience because I work in the quality control industry and work with many OEM's (mostly GM and Ford supplyers) on the quality control on their parts. It all stems down to the design (I can't stress it more). For example: if two holes don't line up or a certain part isn't designed well enough to allow a bolt to hold its torque over a period of time when exposed to vibration, it's gonna fail if it was assembled in Korea or SL.

I saw so many Chinese cars running around in SL that looked pretty good and I beleive were pretty affordable too but have you seen or read the statistics of their crash test ratings and quality control? They are the crappiest built most fake versions of good brand name cars and only look their part on the outside .. the frame/etc. doesn't have the same level of rigidity/detail that a larger manufacturer has deisgned into it. You would literally die in a collision that would otherwise have the driver walking away with a few bruises.

400K isn't much but why just give it away? Unless you'll have definite proof that a venture taken on by SL in such a large scale is being handled in a ways that will be detrimental to its own health (like taking an example from each country and doing a long term test to see how they hold up), I'll stand by my verdict. If I'm proven wrong, and I am shown that I infact am wrong 'cos the company let critical quality control issues slip through the cracks, I will gladly accept it and apologise for supporting my country.

The localy assembled plants have strict quality controls monitored by Korean engineers. The main point is that Local ones are assembled manully by workers rather than robots in the Korean manufacturing plants.

The localy assembled plants have strict quality controls monitored by Korean engineers. The main point is that Local ones are assembled manully by workers rather than robots in the Korean manufacturing plants.
And the point is? Doesn't every manufacturer hand assemble their top of the line/performance cars for that personal attention that only a human can give? People can do the same thing that a robot does, maybe even better. Why the robots? They're faster sometimes and don't require you to pay them every month and pay for themselves in a couple years. BUT, if there's a problem, the robots will just keep going on their merry way but a trained human would and then rectify the problem.

I feel bad everytime we build a machine that'll eliminate the human factor in quality control, but that's what my company does, and it sad knowing that a bunch of people are gonna lose their job no sooner we install the machine at their factory. Honestly, if I had a company and I was looking to make more profit, I would try to eliminate the constant cost like labor too.

If the quality control is strict and if it gives more jobs to our people and the company can afford to pay their workers and not go after profit alone, I say its a win!

I'm don't wanna come on as a dick here but I feel very strongly about what SL can achieve if given the oportunity. Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of SL producing its own car (and dreamed that I was the one who did it .. ah ha) and that's a reality now (even in the smallest way). Maybe if the gov. would support the fact like other govs. have done by only using products manuafactured within the country for official use, there'll be a better future to look forward to. But ofcourse, everyone wants their BMW/Benz/Audi nowdays. Everytime we send more money out of the country because we don't like our own product that's identical, we're just losing.

Edited by Mean Green z28

Mean Green, what can I say, you have addressed some key points of this discussion in a true patriotic style which is also the truth.

Let’s just hope that these cars are done in the way we expect them to be built. I would still like to hear the story from an actual owner of these cars or at least if some one happens to know any body using such car closely enough for us to get a bona fide verdict on the product.

How much of assembling is really done here? Knocked down, yes - but isn't the whole shell/interior intact? Are they not just fitting the suspension/brakes etc. to the almost-finished product?

If thats the case, I dont think there'll be much of issue, as most of it is alreay assembed in the Ssangyong factory.

Silver, if what you are saying is true, then the engine and transmission together with all interior components are assembled and fitted in the Ssangyong factory in Korea. If this is the case, then the car is I would say 90 – 95 % a factory assembled unit. The suspension and brakes will not make a big difference to make it a substandard product in case the local assembly is not up to standard. The areas to check in this case would be to see if any suspension, brake and steering rack noises are present to make sure every thing is in order.

Mean Green

fair points mate. Happy to see people like this at least once in a while :)

but the little hitch is that our local boys very rarely learn the trade properly and give deserved value to the customer.

How many agents in SL do a good service to their car brands? handful at best and most people are a bunch of morons...

it's very difficult to trust sl folks to deliver a good product cos experience has shown that they don't give a damn about the users...

the day this changes... i would also love to go for SL made products. Until then...i'd stick to better products and better value cos i'm selfish and it works :)

And the point is? Doesn't every manufacturer hand assemble their top of the line/performance cars for that personal attention that only a human can give? People can do the same thing that a robot does, maybe even better. Why the robots? They're faster sometimes and don't require you to pay them every month and pay for themselves in a couple years. BUT, if there's a problem, the robots will just keep going on their merry way but a trained human would and then rectify the problem.

I feel bad everytime we build a machine that'll eliminate the human factor in quality control, but that's what my company does, and it sad knowing that a bunch of people are gonna lose their job no sooner we install the machine at their factory. Honestly, if I had a company and I was looking to make more profit, I would try to eliminate the constant cost like labor too.

If the quality control is strict and if it gives more jobs to our people and the company can afford to pay their workers and not go after profit alone, I say its a win!

I'm don't wanna come on as a dick here but I feel very strongly about what SL can achieve if given the oportunity. Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of SL producing its own car (and dreamed that I was the one who did it .. ah ha) and that's a reality now (even in the smallest way). Maybe if the gov. would support the fact like other govs. have done by only using products manuafactured within the country for official use, there'll be a better future to look forward to. But ofcourse, everyone wants their BMW/Benz/Audi nowdays. Everytime we send more money out of the country because we don't like our own product that's identical, we're just losing.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm the Rexton looks much much nicer than the Actyon...well in my opinion just because the Rexton is locally assembled doesnt mean it will fall apart in two years...i am sure the Ssanyong motors would have implemented strict quality control methods in place over here.. just saw in the papers that cherry QQ is being assembled here as well...at least we are making an effort now..

well my 2c on the matter....... I had a good look around one of the rextons and i must say it impressed me quite a bit!

the build quality and finish was WAY better than i assumed it would be, it really seems to be up to par with any korean vehicle.... perhaps even better!

the tech in it also sounds quite good IMHO, Merc designs after all right? the 2.7l Diesel in the rexton has a reputation for being strong and reliable...... honestly max i think you made the right choice

and btw, i Absolutely LOVE the interior of the rex...... quite honestly that interior looks more inviting on intial impression than that of our GC..... Micro should feel very proud of themselves... ;)

Edited by Supra_Natural

After a lot of thought I gave up my Korean built Actyon in favour of a locally assembled Rexton.

I didn't want to say anything, as I didn't really want to add to the dilemma, or put down your choice which was the Actyon (at the time),

I myself felt the Rexton was the better choice, he he so I also think you made the right choice !

the tech in it also sounds quite good IMHO, Merc designs after all right? the 2.7l Diesel in the rexton has a reputation for being strong and reliable...... honestly max i think you made the right choice

The roots can be traced back to the earlier generation ML 270 CDI, E270 CDI and Grand Cherokee CRD.

it actually IS the very same engine isnt it?

Block wise and electronics wise yes, But Mercedes, Jeep and Ssangyong seem to have played with stroke/bore themselves, becuase on each application the power/tourqe slightly varies.

Block wise and electronics wise yes, But Mercedes, Jeep and Ssangyong seem to have played with stroke/bore themselves, becuase on each application the power/tourqe slightly varies.

oh? didnt know that...... but couldnt they have achieved the same by simply remapping the ECU to suit the application?