• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cheap Car To Learn Driving... Any Suggestions?

Saturn

My sis is learning driving, so she wants a cheap car to practice driving with... Does anyone have any suggestions of what one could buy for under 250K... ?

I was thinking of maybe recommending a ke20 wagon or something... maybe even a very early mitsubishi or nissan...

thing is its hard to find one that's functional. Would be ideal if she could find something with airconditioning but with todays crazy pricing, I don't know if that can be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions on Japanese vehicles in this range?

Edited by Saturn

My sis is learning driving, so she wants a cheap car to practice driving with... Does anyone have any suggestions of what one could buy for under 250K... ?

I was thinking of maybe recommending a ke20 wagon or something... maybe even a very early mitsubishi or nissan...

thing is its hard to find one that's functional. Would be ideal if she could find something with airconditioning but with todays crazy pricing, I don't know if that can be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions on Japanese vehicles in this range?

For that budget you'd be looking at Nissan B310s and 12 or 13 Sri Corollas- None of which would be safe enough for someone to learn to drive in.... (Shot gearboxes, no power steering and dodgy brakes) First thing that came to mind are the 14 Sri first generation Starlets - but i think you'd have to increase your budget by about 100k. You could also look for a first or second generation Ford Laser or Mazda 323 Hatchback. their mechanical bits are rock solid. Only need to check for corrosion.

Edited by nira74

Daihatsu Cuore... 15 or 16 sri. Small car, easy to drive, ideal for ladies (my mother, sis and wife learned driving in my cuore which is 97' 300-xxxx) almost all the cuores imported brand new so should be in somewhat good condition. Hard to find though... :(

You can look for an early (10 or 11 sri) Lancer Box.. The re-sale value is quite good on those.. And also Nissan Sunny B11 would be a good choise.. those are really hard, mechanically.. I have seen some in good shape..

Try to look for something in good condition mechanically.. I dont think the body condition will be an issue coz its for learning purposes.. <_<

Daihatsu Cuore... 15 or 16 sri. Small car, easy to drive, ideal for ladies (my mother, sis and wife learned driving in my cuore which is 97' 300-xxxx) almost all the cuores imported brand new so should be in somewhat good condition. Hard to find though... :(

A small Coure would be good.. but dnt think it`ll meet the buget (250k) isnt it..?

On the other hand if anyone can learn to drive in an old mid sized sedan, a manual one without power steering and all I think he or she will turn out to be a really good driver by learning it the hard way.. :-)

get a somewhat decent ride FULL INSURE it! and give your sis to learn..(wont have to waste time on garages, or to worry)

for one of my friends, her parents got her a fine car (AE-100) with a FULLY INSURED and then after she learned to drive quite well.. sold it and got her a new car.. (they got enough use of the Insurance tho :P)

hey thank you all for your suggestions

@ash: she went to a driving school, but wants a car to practice with which she can cheerfully bump around.

I will try to convince her to get an early charade, lancer, or toyota

again, thanks for your useful suggestions! Now only problem is finding a roadworthy car :(

Edited by Saturn

hey thank you all for your suggestions

@ash: she went to a driving school, but wants a car to practice with which she can cheerfully bump around.

I will try to convince her to get an early charade, lancer, or toyota

again, thanks for your useful suggestions! Now only problem is finding a roadworthy car :(

"Cheerfully bump around" you say? this should concern anybody in close proximity when she's at the wheel.. j/k.. :)

my suggestion is let her use your car and goto some real big open area where she cant knock anything down ahd let her roam around... there's a HUGE open area on Baddagana Road in kotte... awsome flat grounds!!!!! check out th epic.. does it look like anyone can run in to anything over there? :) in face that car you see is a freind's cousin learning to drive for the 1st time :)

and for the rest of you who are interested in a little more than just driving (maybe a doughnut or drift) this is an awsome place.. ground is of a hard dried mud texture with loose sand on it.. so it isnt too hard on the wheels either.... some of you might even know this place

dsc09457vx6.th.jpg

"Cheerfully bump around" you say? this should concern anybody in close proximity when she's at the wheel.. j/k.. :)

my suggestion is let her use your car and goto some real big open area where she cant knock anything down ahd let her roam around... there's a HUGE open area on Baddagana Road in kotte... awsome flat grounds!!!!! check out th epic.. does it look like anyone can run in to anything over there? :) in face that car you see is a freind's cousin learning to drive for the 1st time :)

and for the rest of you who are interested in a little more than just driving (maybe a doughnut or drift) this is an awsome place.. ground is of a hard dried mud texture with loose sand on it.. so it isnt too hard on the wheels either.... some of you might even know this place

dsc09457vx6.th.jpg

Where exactly is this place? Looks huge and flat. Might be a good place to check your 0-100.... Is it a Land development authority property? Can people play in that area? :unsure:

Where exactly is this place? Looks huge and flat. Might be a good place to check your 0-100.... Is it a Land development authority property? Can people play in that area? :unsure:

yep.. its huge and flat..... i dont know anything on who owns it though... its alsoo a famous place in the area or young/old cricketers... in fact the ground is better here than parliment ground cos its harder, so more bounce, plus fewer people... see the building in the background, its some big football club..

Directions to go there:

method one: go down baddagana road and turn off near the soccer club (you cant miss it) (in fact i saw dragater driving past this club one day in decmber)

method 2: you guys know the bridge opposite water's egde right? (the one near the parliment road junction).. well, on the other side of the bridge (not the parliment side) there's a road going along the waterfront take it.. the road is a bit bumpy but it'll take you to this area.. trust me you cant miss it!!

as for 0-100 times.. no you cant check it there. since there is a thin layer of sand on the hard mud you get a lot of wheel spin.. but dont worry you wont dig into the ground and get stuck .... so in a way it's perfect for a few amature stunts.. i did my first doughnuts/powerslides there..

2 problems though.. ONE dont go on saturday/sunfay evenings cos its LOADED with people playing cricket. TWO its very dusty!!!!! so after a doughnut your car is covered in a thick layer of dust, it can b just rinsed off with water but if your car is a front wheel drive like mine, and when you do a doughnut (in reverse) a LOT of dust gets into the engine bay, and washing that off is a bit hard.. but overall its worth the fun!!!

and back to the topic of LEARNING TO DRIVE, there's loads of people who go there to training and even the cricketers dont mind.. in fact there's one end that people dont play on just because its the 'L-board" area :)

Edited by Dilesh