• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Whats Good Under 4mil.?

Buddhika M H

Question

hi guys

i got some problem of selecting a vehicle to my friend, well little unusual one i guess. :)

so here's the criteria,

1. he wants a vehicle(car/suv or similar type) under about Rs 4 million.(brandnew/unreg/used anything)

2. Extremely fuel efficient (probably diesel) cause travels long way to work.

3. comfortable. reliable. good market for resell.

well my opinion was to go for a Corolla N 121 (prbably diesel) but he thinks its too common. :)

he looked for a diesel micro (b'new, i think kyron?) but i think its resell value should be low no?

he aslo looked for a FREELANDER used diesel(65-xxxx) for about 3.5mil,but is it good??

THanks for any help.

21 answers to this question

Firstly there are very few 121 Corolla diesels in the country, and almost all are on permits. But I've seen a few selling around 3.5 - 4 mil range.

Next there is no Micro that'll fit within the budget. The Kyron is 6.5 mil and the Rexton is 7.5 mil. I'm yet to see any second hand Kyrons, Rextons in the market, but when they do come out, I don't think they'll drop value very much.

Best reliable and economical diesel within the budget would be a 64-/65 - Merc C200 or a C220 diesel. Or if you look around a bit there might be some 65- BMW 320d within the budget.

first thank for the reply,

so you think bmw / benz are of relible and within that price range then?

specially the 320d

and are they fuel efficient i mean they look like a bit heavy no?

so no small used jap suv's gor that prices??

In SL Mercs have a better reputation for being reliable over the bimmers. BTW I'm talking about diesel C class and the 3 series diesel. They are very economical fuel wise, averaging about 10-12 kmpl in city running. Most Japanese SUVs under this price will be moslty petrol ones with fuel economy of about 7/8 kmpl. However the early 90s Landcruiser II and Nissan Patrols will be within the budget.

first thank for the reply,

so you think bmw / benz are of relible and within that price range then?

specially the 320d

and are they fuel efficient i mean they look like a bit heavy no?

so no small used jap suv's gor that prices??

I'm inclined to say that a BMW of this age especially a 320d is going to be a VERY expensive affair , maintenance wise.

Cannot comment on a Merc as i'm not sure.

Hi Buddhika,

While you will find quite a few Euro Diesel within 4 mil, they won't be cheap to maintain and the per/km cost will be higher.

If economy, comfort and re-sale are the main points a newly registered Corolla 121 (B'New Company maintained make super buys) or an Allion makes the best buy. Either car is available unregistered as well with a good facelifted 121 G grade going in the 3.5-3.8 range and the Allions in the 39-49 range.

The fact that these cars will do 14km/l or more out of town less the hassles of a diesel make them more desirable.

If a diesel is a must, you can pick a 121 diesel regd. for under 4 but as Madmax mentioned are very rare. The cheapest I have come across is 3.2 mil for an Unregd 2001 model just over a year ago (A retirement permit car)

Other diesel options include the Toyota Surf (4Runner), Hilux SSR-X Indep. Sus, Nissan/Mitsubishi L200 and Isuzu Double Cabs. The 2WD versions come even cheaper and are more comfortable to drive.

The SUV you can get would include the Nissan Patrol/ Pathfinder, Landcruiser LJ79 but these are quite old despite being rock solid. I saw a registered Terios (New Model) with the 1.5 VVTi advertised for 4.2 mil. A regd. Rav 4 VVTi 2.0 is also possible.

Let us know how the search goes.

Hi Buddhika,

While you will find quite a few Euro Diesel within 4 mil, they won't be cheap to maintain and the per/km cost will be higher.

I guess the fuel ecenomy counter balances the maintainence. However they are more prestigous and luxurious than a Corolla and definitely easy on the pocket than a petrol luxury car.

actually he's looking for a everyday vehicle so a 4 dour little suv or a sedan

Anyway i saw a Corolla N121 XLi facelift YOM 2005 @ AL classi. a manual one with only 20 000km. @ 2.7m

i think not a

what do you think about that or any petrol n121 manual? is it hard to find manuals?

thanks.

actually he's looking for a everyday vehicle so a 4 dour little suv or a sedan

Anyway i saw a Corolla N121 XLi facelift YOM 2005 @ AL classi. a manual one with only 20 000km. @ 2.7m

i think not a

what do you think about that or any petrol n121 manual? is it hard to find manuals?

thanks.

its a 1.3, just be careful! no comments about the 1.3 market, mite be okey as for the power fact, as its a VVTi engine, but then so far these underpowered vehicles had no good market! but again, i have no clue about the VVTi ones. Anyone? with a idea?

Machang why dont u try a brand new Terios. That should be in that price range. Same engine as a Corolla 1.5.

BTW 3.5mil for a 65- Freelander, thats way too much. You can get a good Freelander Td4 (Same engine as a BMW 320d) english nos at that price. But as they say european cars are a bit hard to maintain (money wise) than the japanese.

But of course if you get a well used vehicle with a good history then u will enjoy driving a european vehicle everyday.

For second hand cars dont go to all the car sales try people selling from their homes (migrating, or had bought a new one and wants to dispose the old) or offices (company vehicles).

no one for help?? :unsure:

Facelifted 1.5l models will range from around 2.9-3.3million. Its not easy for a seller as its the same price as an Allion registered. There was a dark blue 2005 auto in mint with 22k on the clock a few weeks back with an asking of 3.2 million.

The Corolla will do 9-10km/l in the city and around 14km/l out (There are private users who claim more). The manual should do around +1-2 km/l more than the auto depending on the driving. I got 14km/l on a 2003 B.New 1.5 Manual a few months back on a return trip to Kandy with a reasonably brisk run.

Facelifted 1.5l models will range from around 2.9-3.3million. Its not easy for a seller as its the same price as an Allion registered. There was a dark blue 2005 auto in mint with 22k on the clock a few weeks back with an asking of 3.2 million.

The Corolla will do 9-10km/l in the city and around 14km/l out (There are private users who claim more). The manual should do around +1-2 km/l more than the auto depending on the driving. I got 14km/l on a 2003 B.New 1.5 Manual a few months back on a return trip to Kandy with a reasonably brisk run.

@milindu

when You mean facelifted corolla price range those are for "reg." ones no?

anyway Allion's fuel cons. will be bad no?

BTW, think its better to get a Allion?

@milindu

when You mean facelifted corolla price range those are for "reg." ones no?

anyway Allion's fuel cons. will be bad no?

BTW, think its better to get a Allion?

Yeah unregd ones are being quoted 3.6 and up in Colombo for a 121 Facelifted (Dickie Light Model:))

Allion will also do around 1km/l less if at all with the same driver. Pretty economical for a car of that class.

Yeah much better to go for an Allion.

how about a diesel Suszki Vitara ( registered eng. number )or peugeot 307 petrol car ( i think u can buy a brand new for 4m )

Even freelander also very good comfortable vehicle.

For a budget of 4.0 mil i think you should be able tto get teh Grand Vitara Diesel with an english plate. It was i think the more popular choice for the permit that cam out like 7-8 years ago... but i dont think it'll cost 4.0 mi.. probably be less... a freelander might not be that wise rliability wise, cos if i remember right it used to giv a lot of trouble with its fancy gadgets... and come to think of it, of all the freelanders that came into the country and were so frequent on the roads those days few are still running...

Does anyone know how much a diesel G.Vitara is going for these days?