• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Us Octane Vs Other Countries Octane Ratings

GearHead

I remeber Evilmak telling me that Evos can handle low octane fuel.

All of the Evos since Evo IV (possibly some earlier models as well), which carried factory fitted stock ECUs come with "Dual Maps" to deal with High and Low Octane fuels. This is documented in the fuel section of the Evo IV-VI Service manual. "Detonation sensor Switches the ignition timing from ignition timing for super petrol to ignition timing for standard petrol."

I have been running 95 Octane over the past 6+ years (in safe boost levels) and have had no issues. Of course for high boost track days you must use high octane fuel and you will notice significant performance boost due to the ECU switching to high octane mode! I have safely used Av Gas but I recommend using a good octane booster instead of Av gas as Sri Lankan turbo prop airplanes run on "Low Leaded Av Gas" and fuel with lead is not good for 'em modern cars.

Very useful thread guys- thanks for bringing up the Octane rating breakdown.

Velocity- I stopped pumping at IOC after having a few noticeable 'engine miss' incidents in my car. A few months later there was a thread here on AL about someone who's Mazda got hamaazzed after pumping fuel at an IOC shed- only to find there was water in the fuel. As a rule of thumb i never pump at IOC now...just can't trust what they are selling. Its either Laufgs or CPC.

I'm surprised that the CGT falls under the list of cars that need a higher octane...although it has a high-compression engine compared to the average Carina...

Out of curiosity, how much is a can of octane boost?

thanks for the info bro. why i thought to enter carina GT to that category was I know that the MIVEC 1600 CK2A even cannot be pumped with 98 RON. Its specified to RUN 100 RON. :( And i have seen one chap pumping 90 just as soon as the car came to SL. Only 2-3 MIVEC 1600 are in SL.

Octane Booster can is 1200 rupees and available at LAUGHS. Car runs much smoother.

Edited by Velocity

All of the Evos since Evo IV (possibly some earlier models as well), which carried factory fitted stock ECUs come with "Dual Maps" to deal with High and Low Octane fuels. This is documented in the fuel section of the Evo IV-VI Service manual. "Detonation sensor Switches the ignition timing from ignition timing for super petrol to ignition timing for standard petrol."

I have been running 95 Octane over the past 6+ years (in safe boost levels) and have had no issues. Of course for high boost track days you must use high octane fuel and you will notice significant performance boost due to the ECU switching to high octane mode! I have safely used Av Gas but I recommend using a good octane booster instead of Av gas as Sri Lankan turbo prop airplanes run on "Low Leaded Av Gas" and fuel with lead is not good for 'em modern cars.

I used TOLUENE on my rex and i am not sure if its quality stuff. So WURTH is a pretty good octane booster.

by the way heard that there was Evolution inside one those ships which was distroyed by our NAVY.

Edited by Velocity

I used TOLUENE on my rex and i am not sure if its quality stuff. So WURTH is a pretty good octane booster.

by the way heard that there was Evolution inside one those ships which was distroyed by our NAVY.

Yeah it was a Cutt Butt Evo ekak. Anyway glad that they destroyed it as it's more like the next best weapon to a bullet in wrong hands! Toluene is good stuff as long as you are clinical on proper mixing.

Edited by evilmak

Yeah it was a Cutt Butt Evo ekak. Anyway glad that they destroyed it as it's more like the next best weapon to a bullet in wrong hands! Toluene is good stuff as long as you are clinical on proper mixing.

just read 2 articles on the net about this...

heard it was arms+aircraftparts+a bullet proof car... I'm guessing thr Evo wasnt for the LTTE. which means people in colombo or the cities are dealing with the LTTE.. now thats scary!

Ane no machan i was just kidding. What i meant was that HE WILL SOON NEED A EVO TO RUN AWAY.

:)

Dont know what his policy is on Drag Racing ???? LOL. I am also sure AVGAS is available over there as well now that they dont use any plane.

Edited by Velocity

Most european cars including Jap derived ones happily run on 95 octane(RON) and says so in a sticker inside the fuel flap-I.E.Mercedes etc. High octane here in the uk is 98 (RON)-called Super un leaded works well with some of the sportier engines by providing smoother and higher ouput power. How ever these will still run very well on 95(RON) on normal use. UK speed limits on Dual Carriageways and motorways are 70MPH (approx 110Kph) Town limits are 30MPH (around50Kmph).

As you know the Sri Lankan traffic moves much slower than this so any gain in power is not going to be obvious and may not warrent the extra cost. The high octane Fuel should not be confused with high quality-That is a whole new ball game with additive packages to help with low emmisions etc.

Modern engine management systems have all sorts of devices Knock sensors, Air mass Meters, etc.etc. to get the best power output possible in all conditions and will automatically adjust to the needs-so unless you are doing track days high octane fuels will only hurt you in the pocket.