• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Weal Tight

BAnuradha

Question

7 answers to this question

Well, here are a few points that I could high light to you if the car is having a hydraulic power steering system

1) first of all ask him to check the P/steering reservoir for proper fluid level. lack of oil causes tightness of the wheel and would also seriously damage the entire system

2) if the oil is to the proper level, the belt needs to be checked for proper tension, if it's too loose you may feel the wheel being tight. but on the other hand, if the belt is loose it would make a screeching noise when you turn the wheel very fast while keeping the car stationary. this may not be good for the tires and must not me done very much.

3) if the belt is not lose, the next thing to do is to replace the P/Steering oil with a recomended good type of oil. if the car is a recon one most probably it may have run over 40k. so then its good to replace the oil and I do it at 20k intervals on my vehicle and always feel a difference.

4) if that too does not work it could be that the rack has been adjusted by someone and is too tight now, so if that is the case there's nothing much you could do to my knowledge as it may have been tightened to reduce noise of the steering system. if you loosen the rack now all the noises may turn up again. any way nothing like trying. failing all that you may be forced to change the rack

may be some one else could add more to this

Guys I did not move my car for about 10 days as out of the city. When I returned and drove off I noticed the steering was much more lighter than before. But in 2nd day again it's some what stiff.

But this was like that always and I dint realise the steering can be even light than what i have now becuase for last 6 months it was at same level as now.

There are no any other problems. So what could be the cause for this sudden lightness of the steering after one and half week of unused period.

what is the regular steering oil change interval? Is this high time for oil change?

thanks

mKx

Well, here are a few points that I could high light to you if the car is having a hydraulic power steering system

1) first of all ask him to check the P/steering reservoir for proper fluid level. lack of oil causes tightness of the wheel and would also seriously damage the entire system

2) if the oil is to the proper level, the belt needs to be checked for proper tension, if it's too loose you may feel the wheel being tight. but on the other hand, if the belt is loose it would make a screeching noise when you turn the wheel very fast while keeping the car stationary. this may not be good for the tires and must not me done very much.

3) if the belt is not lose, the next thing to do is to replace the P/Steering oil with a recomended good type of oil. if the car is a recon one most probably it may have run over 40k. so then its good to replace the oil and I do it at 20k intervals on my vehicle and always feel a difference.

4) if that too does not work it could be that the rack has been adjusted by someone and is too tight now, so if that is the case there's nothing much you could do to my knowledge as it may have been tightened to reduce noise of the steering system. if you loosen the rack now all the noises may turn up again. any way nothing like trying. failing all that you may be forced to change the rack

may be some one else could add more to this

isn't Suzuki Swift came with EPS? (Electronic Power Steering) so this must be related to the Motor. better check with Agents..

Edited by Ruslan

isn't Suzuki Swift came with EPS? (Electronic Power Steering) so this must be related to the Motor. better check with Agents..

Machan.. swift issue was looong ago. must be sorted now. I didn't open new thread. I was searching and used one of the thread for my issue.

Machan.. swift issue was looong ago. must be sorted now. I didn't open new thread. I was searching and used one of the thread for my issue.

Oops my bad machan. didn't check the dates :action-smiley-060: . did you check the belts? this could even happen when Belts are old. if the oil is kinda brown then it's time for a oil change. and don't let any air into the system when you change power steering oil. what's the make and model machan?

Oops my bad machan. didn't check the dates :action-smiley-060: . did you check the belts? this could even happen when Belts are old. if the oil is kinda brown then it's time for a oil change. and don't let any air into the system when you change power steering oil. what's the make and model machan?

Model is EK3. The experienced the lightness only 1st day after 10 days of non use of the car. 2nd day onwards steering is stiff as i always had in last 6 months. So i really can't tell whether its stiff or not.. may be need to try with another EK3