• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Darley Road Advice!!!

Ripper

Hello Guys,

I got ripped off royally yesterday and today in darley road and wanted to post details of it so that nobody here will face the same situ ever again.

One of the shutters on me sprinter got stuck on saturday and another one was a bit dodgy... and i had a power mirror was not retracting though the motor could be heard running...

I had to get the shutter fixed up on sunday due bad weather etc these days...

called up all of my friends to check for a place that's working on sunday but nothing worked and ended up in darley road :action-smiley-060:

I was driving by near sunlanka when two buggers in overalls waved the car down.... went with them to this small one way road right in front of sjc...Kavantissa road i beleive...

the guys said it's a small thingy at first but took full 4-5 hours to get everything removed to assess the situ...one shutter was sorted and i was charged 6k :violent-smiley-099:

since i din't know the scene gave the money and went today to fix the other shutter and the mirror issue...

another 3 hours and lotsa bullshit etc...another 6k down the toilet :violent-smiley-099:

while i was waiting there yesterday and today...got to know how they operate through curious observations and some human intel work :rolleyes:

most of these buggers only know how to remove stuff and to hook them back up...very few have the ability to do a job from start to finish...

what they do is that they fool idiots like us...get the faulty parts removed...take them to a fellow who knows the thing and get it fixed...

I managed to contact the guy who did my shutters and he has only charged 400 bucks... the total job had come only to about 2k when i dished out 12k :action-smiley-060:

these fellows were offering a full tint job for 1850 and after my intel work i found out that you can do it for 1200....

if you buy the material and give it to guy who does it....it'll be about 800 bucks...

Anways...little bit of free advice to all AL members who would go to darley road for a little emergency like mine...

never use those buggers who flag you down cos they will rip you off so smoothly you think you got a bargain...they are that good

If anyone needs to do up their power shutters, central locking, power mirrors...give me a holler cos i found a cheaper and safer placer to get it done...

not a posh joint but you won't in situ like i am in :(

I'm more pissed off cos all these days i thought i knew my may around these guys and all the input at AL also has helped to avoid these things...

I think we should share these kinds of information more so that at least AL members will be smart enough to avoid these crooks.

• Like 1

aaaaaahhh i know man...feel like a total moron :action-smiley-060:

but i learnt very good lesson....little pricey but a good lesson.

I hope at least nobody else from the AL community will get ripped off again...

that's the only positive takeout from it i suppose :angry-smiley-048:

i feel sorry for you....

My Friend,

It's good to go with an idea of the cost of parts before agreeing to those crooks prices. A second hand mirror for a sprinter would have cost about 4000 bucks max.

Had a similar 'emergency' about 6 months back when my fan belt broke in the middle of darley road. Got directed to the same joint...... ended up having to teach the 'expert' how to remove the fan belt and nearly squeezed his neck a couple of times when he tried to remove parts which were totally unrelated to a fanbelt replacement ... :)

In general, its best to avoid all the automobile joints on (Both Sides of) Darley road..... ;)

Nira...true...first went to magcity to find out that they were also closed. don't think the would've made the whole experience any better :action-smiley-060:

learnt my lesson though...

Wanted to post this so that everybody here knows what goes on there :)

I was observing them when they were working on it and found to be the repair rather simple. all you need is a few screw drivers and a 10mm socket driver :)

I've always been a grease monkey but somehow wasn't upto doing this myself

My Friend,

It's good to go with an idea of the cost of parts before agreeing to those crooks prices. A second hand mirror for a sprinter would have cost about 4000 bucks max.

Had a similar 'emergency' about 6 months back when my fan belt broke in the middle of darley road. Got directed to the same joint...... ended up having to teach the 'expert' how to remove the fan belt and nearly squeezed his neck a couple of times when he tried to remove parts which were totally unrelated to a fanbelt replacement ... :)

In general, its best to avoid all the automobile joints on (Both Sides of) Darley road..... ;)

Hello Guys,

I got ripped off royally yesterday and today in darley road and wanted to post details of it so that nobody here will face the same situ ever again.

One of the shutters on me sprinter got stuck on saturday and another one was a bit dodgy... and i had a power mirror was not retracting though the motor could be heard running...

called up all of my friends to check for a place that's working on sunday but nothing worked and ended up in darley road :action-smiley-060:

I was driving by near sunlanka when two buggers in overalls waved the car down.... went with them to this small one way road right in front of sjc...Kavantissa road i beleive...

the guys said it's a small thingy at first but took full 4-5 hours to get everything removed to assess the situ...one shutter was sorted and i was charged 6k :violent-smiley-099:

since i din't know the scene gave the money and went today to fix the other shutter and the mirror issue...

another 3 hours and lotsa bullshit etc...another 6k down the toilet :violent-smiley-099:

while i was waiting there yesterday and today...got to know how they operate through curious observations and some human intel work :rolleyes:

most of these buggers only know how to remove stuff and to hook them back up...very few have the ability to do a job from start to finish...

what they do is that they fool idiots like us...get the faulty parts removed...take them to a fellow who knows the thing and get it fixed...

I managed to contact the guy who did my shutters and he has only charged 400 bucks... the total job had come only to about 2k when i dished out 12k :action-smiley-060:

these fellows were offering a full tint job for 1850 and after my intel work i found out that you can do it for 1200....

if you buy the material and give it to guy who does it....it'll be about 800 bucks...

Anways...little bit of free advice to all AL members who would go to darley road for a little emergency like mine...

never use those buggers who flag you down cos they will rip you off so smoothly you think you got a bargain...they are that good

If anyone needs to do up their power shutters, central locking, power mirrors...give me a holler cos i found a cheaper and safer placer to get it done...

I'm more pissed off cos all these days i thought i knew my may around these guys and all the input at AL also has helped to avoid these things...

I think we should share these kinds of information more so that at least AL members will be smart enough to avoid these crooks.

Ripper I have had the same problem with shutters,

The best thing to do is to take the car to a company not rely on dudes waling around. Munasinghe is a good place on Darley Road, Pala Auto Electricals, and I get my work done in a Place again called Pala in Gansaba junction Nugegoda as its close to where I live, and they work Sundays too

Also get a quote from them before they start work !.

At those rates you could have bought new doors !! (well nearly I mean)

The Don

Gpmac...

don't think sunlanka does these types of repairs mate :)

Sorry to hear abt this mate but what do the senior members think are the better placed to get work like this done in darley road.

I havnt had a problem with sun lanka personally

thanks don for the tips.... the whole sunday thing only majorly screwed things up cos otherwise i might have gone to a legit place like pala :(

the rainy season and mmy lack of experience with these types of crooks didn't help the cause :(

later i found out that you can get a door for a 4K or so :violent-smiley-099:

you can imagine the way i feel now :action-smiley-060:

we should create a list of repair joints that are considered safe to be used by AL...

the baseline Vasantha is cool chap...got some stuff done by him and even sent friends there and everybody is really satisfied with him... i got his info also o n AL...

Ripper I have had the same problem with shutters,

The best thing to do is to take the car to a company not rely on dudes waling around. Munasinghe is a good place on Darley Road, Pala Auto Electricals, and I get my work done in a Place again called Pala in Gansaba junction Nugegoda as its close to where I live, and they work Sundays too

Also get a quote from them before they start work !.

At those rates you could have bought new doors !! (well nearly I mean)

The Don

Hello Guys,

Sorry Mate,

90% of those ppl are drug addicts and don't know jack about cars. As soon as you stop they'll reomve the parts and trap you. Then the rest happens in a tiny shop inside happened to me 8 yrs ago but got away paying 2.5k. If you ever want to get sm thing done goto a shop or to a known guy. My office is in Darley rd so know a few ppl you could trust. Contact me if any help required.

Cheers !

thanks mate :)

Sorry Mate,

90% of those ppl are drug addicts and don't know jack about cars. As soon as you stop they'll reomve the parts and trap you. Then the rest happens in a tiny shop inside happened to me 8 yrs ago but got away paying 2.5k. If you ever want to get sm thing done goto a shop or to a known guy. My office is in Darley rd so know a few ppl you could trust. Contact me if any help required.

Cheers !

thanks don for the tips.... the whole sunday thing only majorly screwed things up cos otherwise i might have gone to a legit place like pala :(

the rainy season and mmy lack of experience with these types of crooks didn't help the cause :(

we should create a list of repair joints that are considered safe to be used by AL...

the baseline Vasantha is cool chap...got some stuff done by him and even sent friends there and everybody is really satisfied with him... i got his info also o n AL...

Yes Wasantha is the man !!

I think one thing fairly safe to say is, if you are going to get a windscreen based repair done (such as refitting after tinkering etc) the only place to go for is Samarasinghe Windscreen House, in my old Mazda we had to do it 3 times and only they did a good job and even gave a warranty on their work, and redid it free of charge when they got it wrong once,

others just spray the whole thing with silicone sealant which leaves to water getting under the sealant and causing rust rather than drying away

The Don

Guys if any of you visits darley road you should directly go to a shop rather than talking those buggers who hang along the side of the road and wave at you! some times these guys may thief's who steal stuff from your car like hub caps and some of these guy will remove your original badges from your car if your not looking! If you go directly to a shop then they would appoint someone to do your work then if something goes wrong we can blame the shop and get a refund of some kind ! ! ! ! So you should never tell those buggers to do any thing! ! ! !

Cheers :)

well mates if any a/l member needs help on finding who n where gimme a call.i'm always there close by to help on a working day...cheers..

I too got caught once when my side mirror needed repairs. Ended up paying more than a recon mirror and the repair did not make it function 100%. Learnt my lesson too.

A list of good repair joints is a cool idea !

i had a similar experience some time back with my mirror as well... first guy didn't even tell me a price... he just removed it and them charged me 1000 bucks to partially fix it. had to go back there in a month. but this time i went straight to a shop called hamad house/hamad motors. the guys are decent and they directed me to a small joint near the lake house round about. the guy took my mirror apart and got it working perfectly for 800 bucks.

can't remember his name. but tyrell used the guy as well.

Thanks a lot for your piece of advice dude.

But I feel sooooorry for you.

Hello Guys,

yes indeed feel sorry for you, since my dad too got caught to a similiar issue some years back and ended up paying some 6000 bucks for some realy minor door and headlamp problem.Those buggers are all kudda fellows from the maligawatte area i guess..should be shot at sight.

anyhow -ripper- u indeed got ripped!!! :D

he he...it's not fun guys when you're ripped of this way :) feel like a total looser :(

anyways that'll never happen again and i would do ma best to make sure that anybody i know will face the same situ again with those people :)

If it wasn't the shutters and the bad weather these days...i would've got some tips on AL and this whole sad episode could've been avoided :)

guess you had to get "ripped" at least once to learn the mistake :)

I'm more pissed off cos i had spend the extra buck for the car that i have saved up for offshore fishing trips :action-smiley-060: that sucks :violent-smiley-099:

yes indeed feel sorry for you, since my dad too got caught to a similiar issue some years back and ended up paying some 6000 bucks for some realy minor door and headlamp problem.Those buggers are all kudda fellows from the maligawatte area i guess..should be shot at sight.

anyhow -ripper- u indeed got ripped!!! :D

i had a similar experience some time back with my mirror as well... first guy didn't even tell me a price... he just removed it and them charged me 1000 bucks to partially fix it. had to go back there in a month. but this time i went straight to a shop called hamad house/hamad motors. the guys are decent and they directed me to a small joint near the lake house round about. the guy took my mirror apart and got it working perfectly for 800 bucks.

can't remember his name. but tyrell used the guy as well.

The guys name is Sarath. I recommended him to a few friends of mine as well. Does a good job and reasonable prices.

Sounds interesting. How and where do you go Ripper? Spill the beans.

KLM

at present i go out from wellawatta and wattala...

from wattala i hire a boat with a known boatman...in wella one of my friends own a boat so i rent it out with the boatman :)

both are pretty basic boats...no canopy not even proper seats...

the wattala one is a 35 foot wood-fibre boat with an inboard 2 cylinder water cooled engine... pretty damn slow but steady...

the wella boat is a 19 footer, 25hp kerosene 2stroke outboard motor...bit faster but unsteady and noisier and smellier...

I used to fish on beaches, rivers... :rolleyes: but now i'm bored with it so mainly offshore... :)

we venture out till we can't see land...kinda scary since i can't even swim :action-smiley-060: not that you can swim from that far anyways and the boatman not even having a compass doesn't help :)

I still haven't caught anything big enough to brag :( max so far was a 10 kilo seer :)

it was fun and the steaks also tasted good over few pints of beer :)

Edited by Ripper