• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Self Healing Paint

dillongt

The Mercedes article is available here..

http://www.ae-plus.com/Key%20topics/kt-materials8.htm

What I understand from the articles is Mercedes and Nissan uses two different techniques to safeguard the paint. Nissan uses a more elastic resin clean coat which flows back to its original shape easing minor scratches and Mercedes used a tougher clear lacquer, which contains microscopic ceramic particles which hardens when it dries in the oven, forming an extensively cross-linked network.

Anyway, according the article, mechanical car washes are the main reason for these blemishes. I have seen enough muddy coloured automatic car washing wheels in so many places. So try to avoid these Automatic car washes as much you can.

What I understand from the articles is Mercedes and Nissan uses two different techniques to safeguard the paint. Nissan uses a more elastic resin clean coat which flows back to its original shape easing minor scratches and Mercedes used a tougher clear lacquer, which contains microscopic ceramic particles which hardens when it dries in the oven, forming an extensively cross-linked network.

Anyway, according the article, mechanical car washes are the main reason for these blemishes. I have seen enough muddy coloured automatic car washing wheels in so many places. So try to avoid these Automatic car washes as much you can.

Amen to that....

If you closely examine the bristles on the tips of the washing brush... it is clearly evident that it can cause damage to paint... on the long run...

How many of you guys out there use Automated Car washing..?

i use low altitude bucket drop & gravity fed dsi garden hose techniques complimented with a car washing sponge :)

and finish off with chamois :)

all MANual :)

seriously...i kinda like washing the car meself... gets me pretty close to all the little scrapes/dings/blemishes etc that you might miss in an automated car wash or a service station wash :) i like to keep track of my scrapes etc :)

I’ve never used this auto car wash contraptions – I just don’t like the idea of some wheels with bristles rubbing against my car.

A good old manual system is the best – I got a small pressure washer (domestic 1) which has a decent power (don’t have a overhead tank at home so the pressure is quite low) with a bucket and wash/wax liquid with a sponge.

Only if I’m feeling really lazy or tired I take it to a car wash ( manual) . I’ve instructed them to clean near the door hinges (Front doors) as u tend to get stuff stuck inside as well as the plastic trims I got on the hood – u get bits of dirt flying off when u use a good pressure washer.

Amen to that....

If you closely examine the bristles on the tips of the washing brush... it is clearly evident that it can cause damage to paint... on the long run...

i used to... couldnt bear the thought of driving a dirty car and by the time i get kome after work, the automated one was the only option...

recently got a cut and polish done, so I avoided the auto wash afterwards.. it's bad news