• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to fit a 2" Exhaust Tip to a 1.5" Exhaust Pipe

I have a Toyota Vitz with a 1.5" Exhaust pipe (default) and I want to fit a new cool-looking exhaust tip on the boring pipe, but I can't find any that is less than 2". Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

p.s. purely aesthetic, not trying to increase the sound or anything.

5 hours ago, Noobdriver said:

I have a Toyota Vitz with a 1.5" Exhaust pipe (default) and I want to fit a new cool-looking exhaust tip on the boring pipe, but I can't find any that is less than 2". Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

This depends on the mounting method of the tip.
Usually, good ones will have one of two types to mount it:

1. screws at the end mounting end, which you use to tighten against the narrower main outlet.

2. an adjustable inlet with a tightening strap, which you can use to make the mounting side smaller and fit tightly against the tailpipe of the original exhaust. This type is very restrictive, and you need to get one that is within X cm of the size of the original tip.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:01 AM, Noobdriver said:

Go to a silencer joint mate, they have the flaring tool and create an adapter, then get them to weld it in. 

Lastly be sure to buy a SS tip.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:16 AM, tiv said:

Go to a silencer joint mate, they have the flaring tool and create an adapter, then get them to weld it in. 

Lastly be sure to buy a SS tip.

Awesome, any recommended silencer joints in Colombo? Also, by SS you mean Stainless Steel, right?

16 hours ago, Noobdriver said:

Awesome, any recommended silencer joints in Colombo? Also, by SS you mean Stainless Steel, right?

I'm sorry I am not from Colombo, others will educate, 

Yes get an SS tip or else those cheap chinese ones will flake away, some with spring like bits even end up sending debris into the muffler and you have to cut it out and replace again.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:46 AM, Noobdriver said:

Actually, think twice before you weld in the SS tip, especially if you buy a good branded one. If, for some reason, the silencer needs to be replaced, then you have to cut away the tip. You will have to put a flare gun in, reshape it, and do all kinds of stuff to refit it again. Subsequently, this will spoil the tip's finish.

Why not get a custom silencer done up with a nice tip ? The car actually will end up sounding better and might even see a slight performance change.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 7:53 PM, iRage said:

Actually, think twice before you weld in the SS tip, especially if you buy a good branded one. If, for some reason, the silencer needs to be replaced, then you have to cut away the tip. You will have to put a flare gun in, reshape it, and do all kinds of stuff to refit it again. Subsequently, this will spoil the tip's finish.

Why not get a custom silencer done up with a nice tip ? The car actually will end up sounding better and might even see a slight performance change.

That must be expensive to do, eh?

On 6/17/2024 at 2:24 PM, tiv said:

I'm sorry I am not from Colombo, others will educate, 

Yes get an SS tip or else those cheap chinese ones will flake away, some with spring like bits even end up sending debris into the muffler and you have to cut it out and replace again.

All good, thanks for the advice.