• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What are some good reliable cars on a budget?

Kyan

Question

I'm looking to buy a reliable vehicle but the issue I'm facing right now is my budget for that - I currently own a Pajero which was passed down by late father but sadly I have to sell it off as of the financial situation that weighed upon suddenly, so I'm looking for a vehicle to buy which can be reliable and isn't heavy on my wallet to keep it maintained for a while, and also I'm thinking it'll be nice to have some sort of resell value to the vehicle I'm looking to buy.

My requirements are mainly a decent fuel consumption, isn't heavy on wallet for maintenance, doesn't need to meet the doors of a garage everytime I put the vehicle on the road - and here's the gut wrenching part, I'm looking for all this with an maximum budget of 10-15 Lakhs.

Any sort of recommendations are highly appreciated

Thank you! :)

Edited by Kyan
Couldn't finish my post

5 hours ago, Kyan said:

I've been looking into Trad Sunnys cause I've always loved the car, but still I'll lean more into a Maruti than anything now - also I can resell it without having any hardships I believe.

There is a misconception amongst Sri Lankans that only certain badges and models of cars sell easily/quickly/not-lose value. The reality is in Sri Lanka any car will sell (okay..unless it is something abominable) and always has. The key is condition and price. Most cars, even when popular, do not sell because the condition is bad and/or the asking price is not realistic to what the car is. Granted there is a small group of people who will blindly buy any pile of junk just because it has some sort of badge on it.

All the cars that have been mentioned here...from the Corolla to the Sunny have a high level of desirability. So you will not have any issue reselling it as long as the car is in good shape (for its age) and the asking price is reasonable for what the car is. In fact there is a bit of a cult following for cars like the DX wagon, Trad Sunny and Lancer A72.

The bottom line is this...do not think about selling a car off even before you buy it. Buy the car that meets your needs and makes you happy. If you are not happy with the Maruti and the only reason why you are buying it is because of the cheapness to buy and run (as I showed before resale value is not a factor)...you will be miserable. Especially considering you are getting into this car with a huge emotional loss of your father's Pajero.  Buy the car that makes you happy, and you can use it within your budget. Don't forget...you have the added advantage of this car NOT being a daily driver. So your Maruti's costs for parts and such is not going to impact you that much. 

Finally...dude....if you buy a car...USE IT! A to B car in case of emergencies and occasional use is fine..but USE IT ! Use it to enjoy your life. Build memories. 

Edited by iRage