• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Experts Pls Help

BOYZ

Hi experts,

Im planning to buy my first car in a couple of weeks time. My main focus is to get hold of a stylish, comfortable and super performance machine. Im planning to use the car for atleast one and a half years and I dont want to loose much on disposal value.

Im ready to spend around 1.8 million.

Option #1

I came across a superbly used Honda RS - EK3 2000 model with triptronic gears, full bodykit and leather interior.

Option #2

Honda Civic - ES8 ( 2000 model)

Other options

Hyundai Sonata (Hmatic)

Peuguet 406

Primera TP12 (I dont think i can get this to fit my budget)

Pls help me with this. U'll are the experts, so pls feel free to give your expert opinion. :unsure:

Thanks in advance

well well, so nice to see someone giving a honda first place :-)

I'm no expert bro, but I would def recommend the RS. It will def hold it's value, and It'll help you manage your fuel budget as well...

and with a few tweaks here and there, you will certainly enjoy the ride.

the Hyundai is likely to guzzle gas, and prolly won't hold value as well as the civics.

Like you said, Primera is aslo an option... and i'm pretty sure you can get a decent P11 for your budget.

(but as a die hard honda lover, i gotta tell ya, go for the civic RS bro ;-) )

and welcome to the forum.

Edited by Arc Angel

Hi experts,

Im planning to buy my first car in a couple of weeks time. My main focus is to get hold of a stylish, comfortable and super performance machine. Im planning to use the car for atleast one and a half years and I dont want to loose much on disposal value.

Im ready to spend around 1.8 million.

Option #1

I came across a superbly used Honda RS - EK3 2000 model with triptronic gears, full bodykit and leather interior.

Option #2

Honda Civic - ES8 ( 2000 model)

Other options

Hyundai Sonata (Hmatic)

Peuguet 406

Primera TP12 (I dont think i can get this to fit my budget)

Pls help me with this. U'll are the experts, so pls feel free to give your expert opinion. :unsure:

Thanks in advance

That's a nice list of cars. ! I'm not a major expert at this but the RS is fun to drive, comfortable and fuel consumption is ok. it looks good too. You shouldn't have problems with reselling either.

I don't know much about the ES8. The Sonata while its a big comfortable and luxurious type of car suffers from poor resale. It also seems to age quicker than the Jap cars. After a couple of years on our roads it doesn't hold up so well.

There are lots of threads on the 406 in this forum, it handles well on our roads but some have complained about reliability and resell is a problem.

The TP12 goes for over 2 mil but its stylish and comfortable. Its a 2 litre CVT so fuel consumption is high. There are lots for sale now so you should be able to bargain quite a bit.

Hey people,

You all dont have to be an expert to give your opinion, but just give your thought on this. I've heard people saying that the Primera TP12 is a failure model in SL. Is it true?

SL is a lil weird when it comes to cars being failures or success's ... there are lots of reasons for this but i rather not go there :angry-smiley-048:

IMHO....the TP 12 is definitely not a 'failure" as a car :)

But you won't get a tp12 for that price...it's 2.2 and up

Just out of curiosity what's the definition of a "faliure car?"

There are lots of tp12's around and like most nissan's they are pretty reliable. Ok they are never going to be as popular as the sunnys and the corollas because of the price, fuel consumption and relatively expensive spares.

But if we are going to call a car a faliure because of these factors and its poor resale value, then just about everything's a faliure in SL apart from the toyotas and the mercs!

Go for a 2.0 406 is you want comfort, decent pace over real Sri lankan roads, driving pleasure and style or the Honda if you want outright acceleration and nice (and nice sounding) engine but don't mind a bumpy ride and bit less refinement.

The RS is also not the easiest of cars to sell I am told but should prove slightly better than the 406.

The TP 12 has CVT gearbox problems.

Stay away from the Sonata. It's the worst of this bunch in everything.

Not to state the obvious nor to diss the civic...but i feel civic's have gotten this "image" of being a fast and good handling car...

I'm not saying civic's are bad but they are not as good as some people give them credit for :action-smiley-060:

within the selected cars here... a TP12 will beat the crap out of a vtec civic both in pure straight speed and in handling :)

admittedly the tp12 has got more displacement but one would assume it's also heavier than the civic...

funny thing s that lotsa people think civic's are the fastest among the sedans on that price bracket :angry-smiley-048:

flame on :angry-smiley-048:

The TP 12 has CVT gearbox problems.

that's a common misconception. a few cars had problems because the owners did not use CVT fluid in the gearboxes. they just changed it with the usual auto transmission fluid. others did not bother to change it at the recommended service intervals and sadly everyone thinks that its the gearbox at fault.

i don't think the tp12 can beat an RS or even a 406 when it comes to handling as someone else has suggested. the steering is a bit too light. but it does ride very decently on our roads and has a good turn of speed when you need it.

that's a common misconception. a few cars had problems because the owners did not use CVT fluid in the gearboxes. they just changed it with the usual auto transmission fluid. others did not bother to change it at the recommended service intervals and sadly everyone thinks that its the gearbox at fault.

i don't think the tp12 can beat an RS or even a 406 when it comes to handling as someone else has suggested. the steering is a bit too light. but it does ride very decently on our roads and has a good turn of speed when you need it.

If Pila was here we could've got a proper comparison :) the bugger has thrashed both the cars :)

I doubt that the RS have that much of stiff steering as opposed to the TP12 which is also a bit light

Ok I did not know that. Its just that one of my pals had one which he bought used, and it (the gearbox) gave him endless trouble. The agents seemed clueless after sometime. I accompanied him there on one occassion. Finally he sold it in disgust as he heard that there were other cars with similar probs.

provided that the es8 is with a vtec.

thats es3rsmate..v tec fully loaded..but goes over 2mil..hey mate go for the virs..it will chill ya..n its fast, good on fuel n reasonable spares n handling n ext..i used it for two year ( but its manual) n enjoyed every bit.if yo luckety there was a manual rs on sunday papers for under 1.8mn.who says a rs is hard to sell ..according to the brands given by u its the most liquid.for re sale.

thats es3rsmate..v tec fully loaded..but goes over 2mil..hey mate go for the virs..it will chill ya..n its fast, good on fuel n reasonable spares n handling n ext..i used it for two year ( but its manual) n enjoyed every bit.if yo luckety there was a manual rs on sunday papers for under 1.8mn.who says a rs is hard to sell ..according to the brands given by u its the most liquid.for re sale.

racersedge, what are the differences in between Civic RS and VIRS ?

I will withhold my opinion on any of the cars (Except to say the Sonata is not going to give you any of ur criterea, save maybe the comfort).

However, if you want a "super performance" machine, ur gonna have to increase the budget a lot more. Aint to "super performance" machines for that price. Maybe high performance :) Well, I suppose there are the Evo III converts and such, but thats anyones guess about resale.

Whatever you get, and SPECIALLY if you get a Honda, don't get too carried away with this performance tag. Know ur limits, and know the cars limits, and respect that. Aint need for speed on the roads, cars take damage from collisions and there aint no reset button in real life.

Whatever you get, and SPECIALLY if you get a Honda, don't get too carried away with this performance tag. Know ur limits, and know the cars limits, and respect that. Aint need for speed on the roads, cars take damage from collisions and there aint no reset button in real life.

also, is there any road in HERE u can run a "SUPER PERFORMANCE" car ??? :blink:

also, is there any road in HERE u can run a "SUPER PERFORMANCE" car ??? :blink:

you can in 100m increments :action-smiley-060::angry-smiley-048:

I was heavily on the civic bandwagon until i went through a few civics prior to purchasing and was completely turned off :(

I'm not saying all civics are like that but civics have been victims of many garage fellows trying to squeeze out every bit of "performance" in their understanding and ended up screwing the car.

There is an EG8 advertised in AL which i checked out with a friend which is absolutely horrible at pulling... A decent mountain bike should be able to outrun it :angry-smiley-048: I would be very careful with a used civic due to this reason be thorough about everything when you check the car out...

Don't ever go by the outlook of things :) This particular EG8 i'm talking about has appeared in AL for many times over the months or even probably years... At least it's good for the owners to be able to have such a forum to push it off once they figure out they've got screwed :angry-smiley-048:

Good luck with your hunt and let us know how things went :)

Not to state the obvious nor to diss the civic...but i feel civic's have gotten this "image" of being a fast and good handling car...

I'm not saying civic's are bad but they are not as good as some people give them credit for :action-smiley-060:

within the selected cars here... a TP12 will beat the crap out of a vtec civic both in pure straight speed and in handling :)

admittedly the tp12 has got more displacement but one would assume it's also heavier than the civic...

funny thing s that lotsa people think civic's are the fastest among the sedans on that price bracket :angry-smiley-048:

flame on :angry-smiley-048:

OUCH!!!!

there will always be those who love civics, and there will also always be the others who cannot understand why the first lot do so ;)

fine, so we're comparing 150bhp/1300 kg car vs 135bhp/1140kg car.... which is almost the same power-to-weight...so if you don't mind bro, i'll wait till i actually "SEE" the "beating the crap" :violent-smiley-099:

i've seen many a drag bro, as i'm sure you have too... and I've seen many a civic take a beating from others... BUT, I also have seen quite a few hondas leave their higher powered, forced induced competitors in the dust... so it's not fair to paint them all with one brush.

I accept, there are a few who think that the civic is the fastest car in the world. BUt if you talk to a TRUE civic lover, they will tell you, whilst you can make the civic a pretty fast beast, we love them cos they are so much fun to drive.

I'm on my second civic now. of about 6 cars in total. body balance is the best i've driven (and no, I haven't driven evo :) )

com on ripper, the thread is not about 'how to go the fastest for 1.8 mil'... if that were the case there are SO many other options that do not include just buying the car and driving it...

else go for a SiR hatch, and you can REALLY leave the tp12 in the dust :-)

I know a few boys on this forum, who've got civics that will make a a tp12 seriously think twice :-) ....

and like you said, the fact that so many people think that the civic is so great gives it great resale value.

anyways ripper bro, all in good spirit, yeah....

and also let me say, driving a 2lt primera will be fast, but it won't be as fun as that kick in the pants your gonna get from your rs when vtec kicks in.

cheers :D

Edited by Arc Angel

OUCH!!!!

there will always be those who love civics, and there will also always be the others who cannot understand why the first lot do so ;)

fine, so we're comparing 150bhp/1300 kg car vs 135bhp/1140kg car.... which is almost the same power-to-weight...so if you don't mind bro, i'll wait till i actually "SEE" the "beating the crap" :violent-smiley-099:

i've seen many a drag bro, as i'm sure you have too... and I've seen many a civic take a beating from others... BUT, I also have seen quite a few hondas leave their higher powered, forced induced competitors in the dust... so it's not fair to paint them all with one brush.

I accept, there are a few who think that the civic is the fastest car in the world. BUt if you talk to a TRUE civic lover, they will tell you, whilst you can make the civic a pretty fast beast, we love them cos they are so much fun to drive.

I'm on my second civic now. of about 6 cars in total. body balance is the best i've driven (and no, I haven't driven evo :) )

com on ripper, the thread is not about 'how to go the fastest for 1.8 mil'... if that were the case there are SO many other options that do not include just buying the car and driving it...

else go for a SiR hatch, and you can REALLY leave the tp12 in the dust :-)

I know a few boys on this forum, who've got civics that will make a a tp12 seriously think twice :-) ....

and like you said, the fact that so many people think that the civic is so great gives it great resale value.

anyways ripper bro, all in good spirit, yeah....

and also let me say, driving a 2lt primera will be fast, but it won't be as fun as that kick in the pants your gonna get from your rs when vtec kicks in.

cheers :D

Yo Arc Angel :)

That post was mainly to draw some friendly fire in this direction :angry-smiley-048: But i do believe the "civic boys" write checks their cars can't cash in reality :) I do like civics and wanted one too but i still feel it's over hyped up...

Though not in the same level if that's the word... one of my friends got a B4 TT... that's the real kick in the butt when you stomp on the gas... of course that car is not comparable to a civic... nor is it the best car in the world for butt kicking pleasure

What i find a bit hilarious is that our 1.5Ltr EG8 bugger thinks he can smoke em all.

Anyways...sorry for hijacking the thread away from it's main focus... I do enjoy bashing civic boys once in a while...both in the forum and out on the road when i'm in the right machine :)

Of course there are riced up eg8's with fart cannons that struggles to keep up with my stock sprinter :blink::angry-smiley-048:

Yo Arc Angel :)

That post was mainly to draw some friendly fire in this direction :angry-smiley-048: But i do believe the "civic boys" write checks their cars can't cash in reality :) I do like civics and wanted one too but i still feel it's over hyped up...

Though not in the same level if that's the word... one of my friends got a B4 TT... that's the real kick in the butt when you stomp on the gas... of course that car is not comparable to a civic... nor is it the best car in the world for butt kicking pleasure

What i find a bit hilarious is that our 1.5Ltr EG8 bugger thinks he can smoke em all.

Anyways...sorry for hijacking the thread away from it's main focus... I do enjoy bashing civic boys once in a while...both in the forum and out on the road when i'm in the right machine :)

Of course there are riced up eg8's with fart cannons that struggles to keep up with my stock sprinter :blink::angry-smiley-048:

and friendly fire it was, bro... :alc:

but your absolutley right on the fact that not all civics are equal... but if you know what your doing, and don't screw it, they can be damn fun.

agree about the riced up civics... it's cos of those that people loose faith in the ones that really have power.

which 1.5lt bugger are you reffering to bro?

oh and btw, not ALL 'civic boys' write those cheques :-) some know what they're machines are capable of and just enjoy them for what they are.

As someone questioned earlier, can anyone tell me the difference between RS and VIRS? Can anyone explain the performance machanism between a RS manual and RS Auto(Does triptronic gears come with only Automatic transmissions?) :blink:

mainly its the model differerance virs comes in ek model n rs comes in es modle.

ek3 models comes basicly in in three versions ( apart from rare jdm models we find here) exi, vi n vi-rs .exi is the normal export version which is 1500cc 16v non vtec, vi- is 1500cc 16v with v tec ( single stage ,two stage or 3 stage) virs is the more cusomised version with all 4 disks,factory fitted lip kit,black interior with seats from a difff material n with org stud bars ext.also the suspencian is diff too,(engine comes from 1500cc sohc to 1600cc dohc)

es3rs comes with 1700cc vtec engine,n with all 4 disk.lip kit ext as virs

in rs auto u got a the sports( S drive) option on yo automatic gear box( bello d) but no stearing shift gears,

in virs auto u got the auto gear box with the s1 n s2 gear shiter on yo steering with d.(its not triptronic more like steering shift gears)

in all rs n virs versions there are some upgrades to suspension, final drive n ext basicaly

this is very besic details nothing in depth mates :unsure::unsure:

well abt all the comments abt eg8 civic...mates there are abt 7 engine models (1300cc carb,1500cc single carb & duel carb,1500cc vtec & vtec -e,1600cc dohc non vtec &1600cc dohc v tec) comes in it( apart from specials)so the pulling power cant be that bad ripper

Edited by RACERSEDGE

mainly its the model differerance virs comes in ek model n rs comes in es modle.

ek3 models comes basicly in in three versions ( apart from rare jdm models we find here) exi, vi n vi-rs .exi is the normal export version which is 1500cc 16v non vtec, vi- is 1500cc 16v with v tec ( single stage ,two stage or 3 stage) virs is the more cusomised version with all 4 disks,factory fitted lip kit,black interior with seats from a difff material n with org stud bars ext.also the suspencian is diff too,(engine comes from 1500cc sohc to 1600cc dohc)

es3rs comes with 1700cc vtec engine,n with all 4 disk.lip kit ext as virs

in rs auto u got a the sports( S drive) option on yo automatic gear box( bello d) but no stearing shift gears,

in virs auto u got the auto gear box with the s1 n s2 gear shiter on yo steering with d.(its not triptronic more like steering shift gears)

in all rs n virs versions there are some upgrades to suspension, final drive n ext basicaly

this is very besic details nothing in depth mates :unsure::unsure:

well abt all the comments abt eg8 civic...mates there are abt 7 engine models (1300cc carb,1500cc single carb & duel carb,1500cc vtec & vtec -e,1600cc dohc non vtec &1600cc dohc v tec) comes in it( apart from specials)so the pulling power cant be that bad ripper

Thanks alot machang, Is there any difference between a auto VIRS and a manual VIRS?