• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing a car (used while being abroad)

K Ganeshanathan

Question

3 answers to this question

16 hours ago, K Ganeshanathan said:

I am coming to Sri Lanka to live permanently from the UK.

want to bring a car from the UK

What is the procedure for getting it?

as far as I know its not possible to do so ,unless its a EV and you have been remitting money to Sri lanka but not sure if that scheme is there or not

4 hours ago, carboy2011 said:

as far as I know its not possible to do so ,unless its a EV and you have been remitting money to Sri lanka but not sure if that scheme is there or not

Actually you can....on a NFE basis. But depends on how long and why the individual was away and if this is a car used by the individual while being abroad.

20 hours ago, K Ganeshanathan said:

I am coming to Sri Lanka to live permanently from the UK.

want to bring a car from the UK

What is the procedure for getting it?

If you were a resident of the UK (like actually living there) as a PR for a long time (in which case you would have filed for citizenship) or a (dual) citizen, and now want to return to SL on a permanent basis you can bring down your car as part of the rest of the assets you will be repatriating to SL. The usual import regulations do not necessarily apply in these cases.

However, if you remained just a Sri Lankan and was there just for employment/education (thus a migrant worker), then your chances of importing your UK car is very low and would only be possible if it meets existing import regulations (exemptions and exceptions maybe made depending on how much FX you have sent to SL and how long you have owned the car for, etc...). Either way you will be taxed based on existing rates. It is the same if you are planning to buy a new car and import it just before you move. Existing import regulations/controls and tax rates apply. 

Now...assuming you are the former (i.e. PR/Citizen) and want to bring down the car you were using in the UK...

You need to contact the Customs department then go to the Ministry of Finance then back to the customs department and then get a permit.

As there is no foreign exchange being remitted out of the country and since it is you bringing down your personal property (i.e. your own car) they should issue you with a NFE permit as a re-patriating/returning SL expat.

Your first port of call should be the High Comm over there. They should be able to tell you what documents you need to prepare, etc...If they are not aware of what to do, reach out to the customs department, they will tell you what to do This usually involves you making a request to the Ministry of Finance (who will ask for documents like your residency papers, car reg papers, proof of you returning on a permanent basis, assets being brought in, etc...). Then they will approve (or reject) your application. If you do get a no-objection letter, then you need to take that to the customs department. Since your car is not an EV and is probably older than 3 years, you will have to state your case (i.e., justify bringing in an older, non-compliant car). You may have to get things like new smog inspection certificates, etc...as well. The import duty rates will be a question mark. It is the Ministry of Finance that will determine if you are exempt or if you will be awarded any discounted rates. So you need to make a compelling case to reduce your import taxes.

Since you are not here in SL it might be best if you appoint someone locally to do the running around for you.

Edited by iRage

Actually from what I know the scheme that was in place "Blue Permit" is no more. If you want the best place to check is with the Department of Import Export Control. They were the ones who issued the blue permit those days. (it entailed you to import your own vehicle which you used overseas for a period of time without being bound by the restrictions on the 2 year limit but it should be below 10 years). You had to pay all the duties and taxes on the vehicle which was based on the value of the vehicle at the time at a depreciated value according to the table present at customs.

But given the fact that the duty is now based on the engine capacity / motor power in EV sometimes it would be better off to sell the car there and buy a vehicle here if its a high capacity vehicle.