• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Car To Choose

carnuwan1

sorry boys i intended to get the price of a non registerd or registered latest corolla wagon.... :(

because my farther is insisting on it :jumping-smiley-013:

however he is asking me to get one with a good selling value as well

and i seem to be totally lost not knowing where to turn to with the price he offered me now reduced to 10 lacks

he is a devoted toyota person

what makes nissans lesser in price than the toyotas

hope i will get real good advice from you boys : :rolleyes:

thanks

a latest (121) model toyota wagon is going to set you back at least 3 million rupees.... so you're father is going to have to loosen his purse quite a bit more...'

if 1.0 mill is your limit and you want something brand new, your only choices are Maruti 800's and perhaps Altos, maybe even the Chery QQ

the only toyota you're gonna get at that price as Pericles pointed out, is going to be 10-15 years old...... minimum

as for why Nissans are cheaper than toyotas, its because the SL market imagines that toyota magically makes better cars (some members here also share this theory), something that is patently NOT true.

Edited by Supra_Natural

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a latest (121) model toyota wagon is going to set you back at least 3 million rupees.... so you're father is going to have to loosen his purse quite a bit more...'

if 1.0 mill is your limit and you want something brand new, your only choices are Maruti 800's and perhaps Altos, maybe even the Chery QQ

the only toyota you're gonna get at that price as Pericles pointed out, is going to be 10-15 years old...... minimum

as for why Nissans are cheaper than toyotas, its because the SL market imagines that toyota magically makes better cars (some members here also share this theory), something that is patently NOT true.

thanks sn

well i talked with dad on the cash and the end result was this initially

:violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-030:

but mother helped and the only good thing was i mananged to talk in for another one and a half lacks

so i can get either 10 lacks or leave

thats it

but i got him to agree for any brand

so guys please tell me the best i can buy at that price ant type model or year with a respectable reselling value

he insists on that saying it must be salable without a loss

what i look for is fuel consumption(because I need to use the vehicle on a daily basis) and the availability of spares.

thanks guy

its a great feeling to share your wisdom amd experience boys :alc:

You need to ask ur dad if he knows the meaning of "depreciation". The car market in SL has been mostly appreciating for years but there is no GUARANTEE that is a permanent state of affairs.

But based on the current state of affairs, the I'd say stick to the Corolla's you've been looking at. 3 to 5 years is a long time, and no one can predict the future, but short of Merc, it probably has the best option of holding value. Unless you can get hold of a classic and keep it well. Something like a Mini or a Beetle is what comes to mind. Or an old Merc.

Mate

Like Peri said... the way things are going now... Toyota's are the way to go. Not the best driver's car by any means but it'll give you pretty good fuel economy, parts availability, reliability and good resale value...

Most people think toyotas are indestructible :) though its not exactly true it helps at resale :)

The ae100 marinos, ceres are good cars... But before settling...take a good mechanic and check them out...

I was hunting for a car in the same budget range sometime ago and went through lots of thrash before finding a good one...

Don't be fooled by the number plate or the exterior appeal...

I almost got caught to a horrible eg8 and looked absolutely great :) after driving it only i found out that my mountain bike can pull better :) :)

And the Marinos i've seen tend to sit a little low than the normal corolla... Not sure if it's a universal thing but one in my office and another few i've seen close up all tend to sit pretty low...

An AE100 sprinter is also another option if you want to go for a Toyota.

Best bet is to check out a few models before settling for one...

good luck :)

hi you all :jumping-smiley-013:

i am a new member but i love what is already in this web site

i want to buy a vehichle and my budget comes upto about 11 lacks

sort of what you get from dad as a just left school fellow :action-smiley-060:

but i want to buy something thats worth to the money :rolleyes:

my desire is either a good corolla wagon or a corolla 100 :unsure:

what is the BEST OUT of these two or what about the doctor sunny or the fb 14

value the advice from you all

nuwan

Hi Pal,

Why don't you go for a Micro Trend. You'll get a brand new car, and it's economical . <_<

sorry boys i intended to get the price of a non registerd or registered latest corolla wagon.... :(

because my farther is insisting on it :jumping-smiley-013:

however he is asking me to get one with a good selling value as well

and i seem to be totally lost not knowing where to turn to with the price he offered me now reduced to 10 lacks

he is a devoted toyota person

what makes nissans lesser in price than the toyotas

hope i will get real good advice from you boys : :rolleyes:

thanks

brother, your father is correct. Go on your father’s advice.

brother, your father is correct. Go on your father’s advice.

thanks NILANTHA :rolleyes:

IN REALTION to my farthers advice what is the best car you think i should go for

WHATS THE TREND FOR A WAGONS SELLING VALUE AT THE MOMENT AND CAN I GET A REGISTERED WAGON WITH ENGLISH NUMBERS FOR ABOUT 11.5 OVER THE 300- SALOON FOR 13.5

by the way checking todays adds what about the CIVIC FERIO EG8 for 985,000 AND WHY IS IT AT THAT PRICE LESSER THAN THE COROLLA OF THE SAME TIME

its made is 1992 ac ps pm is there

HOW IS THE FUEL EFFICACY ON THAT CAR LIKE THE LOOKS OF IT :jumping-smiley-013:

WHAT COULD BE THE SELLING PRICE

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL YOU GUYS

I THINK THIS IS ONE HELL OF A FORUM FOR GUYS :ninja:

thanks NILANTHA :rolleyes:

IN REALTION to my farthers advice what is the best car you think i should go for

WHATS THE TREND FOR A WAGONS SELLING VALUE AT THE MOMENT AND CAN I GET A REGISTERED WAGON WITH ENGLISH NUMBERS FOR ABOUT 11.5 OVER THE 300- SALOON FOR 13.5

by the way checking todays adds what about the CIVIC FERIO EG8 for 985,000 AND WHY IS IT AT THAT PRICE LESSER THAN THE COROLLA OF THE SAME TIME

its made is 1992 ac ps pm is there

HOW IS THE FUEL EFFICACY ON THAT CAR LIKE THE LOOKS OF IT :jumping-smiley-013:

WHAT COULD BE THE SELLING PRICE

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL YOU GUYS

I THINK THIS IS ONE HELL OF A FORUM FOR GUYS :ninja:

The civic Eg8 is a pretty decent car, the reason its priced less than the toyotas of similar age is because as i said earlier, people in SL imagine that toyotas are somehow better than everything else (Friend Nilantha is a good example of this misguided view)..... this is by the way ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE...

the car in the classifieds seems to be a good one, you might be able to get it for less as well..... and civics also tend to hold value now since they are quite popular. if it is a Single carb model you will get 10-11 in town with ease... Twin carbs a bit less... if its a VTEC it's about there as well as long as you dont floor the throttle too much.

brother, i don't know about CIVIC. i never used.

anyway u have to find out Toyota corolla wagon manufactured in 1995 or after model. usually 5AFE (EFI) engine comes with Toyota corolla models from AE91-AE110 its full economical and reliable. Usually 5AFE Manual models give 11kmpl city and 15kmpl long running.

There are so many corolla wagons in the market (Sprinter, DX, G-Touring, L-touring, L-Extra, With basic option, With or without Duel Air Bag, with or without ABS Break and so on) . Don’t hurry to buy a car. Start to do market survey by your self finding corolla wagons that are available to sell in the weekend papers and so on. After few weeks you can come to decision what model and what price that you have to go. Remember, usually Toyota owners telling high price.

Also remember these days tire princess and battery princess are too high.

Edited by Nilantha

buddy

the toyota wagons and other toyotas are pretty dull cars to drive over a Civic of the same price range.. :)

Though the toyotas dp have quite a few other things going for them...

I drive a Toyota...chance are the next change won't be one of em :) Unless it's lexus or something :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Ripper

buddy

the toyota wagons and other toyotas are pretty dull cars to drive over a Civic of the same price range.. :)

Though the toyotas dp have quite a few other things going for them...

I drive a Toyota...chance are the next change won't be one of em :) Unless it's lexus or something :angry-smiley-048:

thanks RIPPER any way whats the toyota you drive and how is the fuel on it

is it true that parts for thr civics are really expensive

Nuwan the young dude

Don’t spend much either your father is rich and do not expect much comfort. My advice is buy a old car like Mini and lean to repair your self spend time in the garages and bargain for spare parts. Try to do your own modification. Listen to girls friend bashing when breakdown on the way.

It is much interesting than going for good comfort car.

So you will be more comfortable when you real life begin as an independent guy in future!!!!!!.

Regards,

Ruwan

Nuwan the young dude

Don’t spend much either your father is rich and do not expect much comfort. My advice is buy a old car like Mini and lean to repair your self spend time in the garages and bargain for spare parts. Try to do your own modification. Listen to girls friend bashing when breakdown on the way.

It is much interesting than going for good comfort car.

So you will be more comfortable when you real life begin as an independent guy in future!!!!!!.

Regards,

Ruwan

Ruwan67

Do agree with you on the concept of things but cars breaking down and getting an old ride doesn't guarantee that you will learn things about the ride. I know quite a few people who own oldies due to budget reasons not knowing the simplest of basics about them..

On the other hand...just because you buy a decent ride doesn't necessarily mean that you cant learn to do the repairs on your own etc etc...

IMHO it's the person and his or her attitude that counts and not the state of the car or how rich their daddies are :)

Nuwan

I also recently migrated to a car from bikes... Since it was my first car i had to ply the safe boring route as many here would agree :)

So bought myself an Ae100 Sprinter SE limited after checking out lotsa cars that included Mazdas, Mitsubishis, Civics and a P11...

I was on a budget and running costs weer important and didn't expect that much of "driving pleasure" out of the car.

I'm happy with the decision i made under the circumstances and the car hasn't failed me yet :)

It does 10+ in colombo traffic with AC on econo Auto- my AC works pretty well i very rarely use the full on AC

I have got an unbelievable 17kmpl on one trip to Habarana...but that was an early morning drive with virtually no traffic

My Only complaints are that the car is pretty bad at taking corners at higher speeds... The low end torque is pretty crap and the it feels a little tall so speedy maneouvers are a little dicy...

These cars are pretty old now and was never meant to be driven the way people like myself drive them :) so can't blame the japs :)

I've taken out the occasional civic...the 17-19- dudes with fart cannons and all the ricey stuff... But recently got creamed by a newer vtec so bad don't think i'll ever try to play with them :) Just that some ricers annoys the pi$$ out of you buy cutting into you etc just to show off their "driving skills" and "souped up" machines :angry-smiley-048:

So IMHO the way things are in SL at the moment...if you're not looking for "driving pleasure" from the car...Toyotas are the safest bet.

But if ya want more kicks...a Honda, Mazda, and cars like Nissan P11 are very good rides...

I needed a car to learn the ropes and graduate to something better and not loose out on the deal that much...so i chose the toyota :) No complaints :)

Edited by Ripper

Ruwan67

Do agree with you on the concept of things but cars breaking down and getting an old ride doesn't guarantee that you will learn things about the ride. I know quite a few people who own oldies due to budget reasons not knowing the simplest of basics about them..

On the other hand...just because you buy a decent ride doesn't necessarily mean that you cant learn to do the repairs on your own etc etc...

IMHO it's the person and his or her attitude that counts and not the state of the car or how rich their daddies are :)

Nuwan

I also recently migrated to a car from bikes... Since it was my first car i had to ply the safe boring route as many here would agree :)

So bought myself an Ae100 Sprinter SE limited after checking out lotsa cars that included Mazdas, Mitsubishis, Civics and a P11...

I was on a budget and running costs weer important and didn't expect that much of "driving pleasure" out of the car.

I'm happy with the decision i made under the circumstances and the car hasn't failed me yet :)

It does 10+ in colombo traffic with AC on econo Auto- my AC works pretty well i very rarely use the full on AC

I have got an unbelievable 17kmpl on one trip to Habarana...but that was an early morning drive with virtually no traffic

My Only complaints are that the car is pretty bad at taking corners at higher speeds... The low end torque is pretty crap and the it feels a little tall so speedy maneouvers are a little dicy...

These cars are pretty old now and was never meant to be driven the way people like myself drive them :) so can't blame the japs :)

I've taken out the occasional civic...the 17-19- dudes with fart cannons and all the ricey stuff... But recently got creamed by a newer vtec so bad don't think i'll ever try to play with them :) Just that some ricers annoys the pi$$ out of you buy cutting into you etc just to show off their "driving skills" and "souped up" machines :angry-smiley-048:

So IMHO the way things are in SL at the moment...if you're not looking for "driving pleasure" from the car...Toyotas are the safest bet.

But if ya want more kicks...a Honda, Mazda, and cars like Nissan P11 are very good rides...

I needed a car to learn the ropes and graduate to something better and not loose out on the deal that much...so i chose the toyota :) No complaints :)

thanks ripper

it really made me come to a stand

to hear from a person who was in the same position as me is great

thanks dood

i will forget all about wagons and go for this for i got an increase in budget from 1.0to 1.2 million

hope fully will be able to get something good

hey what do you think of going to a starlet over a ae 100 ?

so

thanks ripper

it really made me come to a stand

to hear from a person who was in the same position as me is great

thanks dood

i will forget all about wagons and go for this for i got an increase in budget from 1.0to 1.2 million

hope fully will be able to get something good

hey what do you think of going to a starlet over a ae 100 ?

so

ehm...i'm not a big fan of hatchbacks :)

need to be able to haul a$$ when called for and need boot space for the beer cooler and similar stuff.

Other than that hatches are also cool...

it really boils down to what you want out of the car :)

ehm...i'm not a big fan of hatchbacks :)

need to be able to haul a$ when called for and need boot space for the beer cooler and similar stuff.

Other than that hatches are also cool...

it really boils down to what you want out of the car :)

Never tried a Glanza or a Starlet GT, have you? If you wanna haul booty ... :D

Nuwan. Once again, gonna depend on ur needs. Now if this is likely to be mainly ur car, not the main family car, the Starlet sounds good. However, if you need to take ur family around, it might be more comfortable with a larger car like the Corolla. Its a trade off that you need to consider if you need to make. Again, if you wanna take a lot of stuff, then the wagon is the proper choice.

What you will have to keep in mind is, the Toyota will cost more than another brand car in the same class. However, it should also hold the value better. What I mean is, a standard Starlet will probably cost you more than a same age March. If the current car climate holds until you want to sell it, then the Starlet will hold the value better than the March (This will entirely depend on how well the car is used, however).

Thing is, we can't tell you what you need. If ur gonna pick a bad car, or if you find a particular car and want some info on it, then ur likely to get more help. As it is, YOU need to decide between what you need and what you want.

is it true that parts for thr civics are really expensive

that was a perception which was formed bout 8-10 years ago when spares were not as freely availible as those for toyota's or nissans. Back then you mainly had to rely on the agents for most parts hence having to pay a higher price. However there is no such scenario now cos there are many places from which you can get brand new/recon and even used parts for civics at decent rates.

Edited by Arc Angel

Never tried a Glanza or a Starlet GT, have you? If you wanna haul booty ... :D

Nuwan. Once again, gonna depend on ur needs. Now if this is likely to be mainly ur car, not the main family car, the Starlet sounds good. However, if you need to take ur family around, it might be more comfortable with a larger car like the Corolla. Its a trade off that you need to consider if you need to make. Again, if you wanna take a lot of stuff, then the wagon is the proper choice.

What you will have to keep in mind is, the Toyota will cost more than another brand car in the same class. However, it should also hold the value better. What I mean is, a standard Starlet will probably cost you more than a same age March. If the current car climate holds until you want to sell it, then the Starlet will hold the value better than the March (This will entirely depend on how well the car is used, however).

Thing is, we can't tell you what you need. If ur gonna pick a bad car, or if you find a particular car and want some info on it, then ur likely to get more help. As it is, YOU need to decide between what you need and what you want.

Peri

Yep...i've heard how mean a Glanza can be..especially the ones that are tricked out :)

I have my own little problems like being able to take the dogs to the vet, take my fishing gear around etc so hatches were never even a consideration :)

If i could pump the dough for a second ride...don't mind one of those nippy little things :)

Like your advice to nuwan...i had my "special needs" so had to go for a sedan :)

But defa the next upgrade won't be a corolla... most probably a civic if all goes well

if the YOM isnt that big a issue, maybe you could go for a older (much older) mercedes. Like peri said it holds value, plus it has a bit of class as well...

I think a petrol W124 190 (YOM late 80s early 90s) might fall in that price range, though it might be a bit hard to find... else you can go for a diesel W123 (mid-late 1980s) which i think should also fall in your budget... and the 3 point star might even make your dad loosen the purse strings a bit more.. "katada adambara putha benz ekakin yanakota" :D

Btw, the W123 diesel is said to do pretty good on deisel for a car that size, and so does the 190 on petrol....

I just checked out the AL clasified and saw a 18-XXXX petrol 123 (YOM 85) for 1.4 mil. I personally thought that was wayyy over priced, maybe someone else could also give some input on this... and if that price is right all i can say is DAAAMMMM! :D

es or ek?

how about an RS :)

Anyways i need to improve on the dough front for any of this... but after the thrashing i got from that civic on galle road...starting to believe that it's a decent option to "settle" for since i don't see myself driving a real performance machine any time soon :(

Dilesh

Some car owners do place absurd price tags on some very old hacked up cars also :) I've met a few of those during my hunts and it's pretty funny the way they react once you make your case that their nuts to ask for such a high price :)