• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motorcycle Onlight Change

kumudug

Hi guys

I need help. I have a Honda CBR and it has onlight. Both the lights and the instrument cluster lights are on always. I want to change it as only one light is on always and the instrument cluster lights are not on always. So I need to add a new switch to do this. Do you guys have any idea where can I get this done?

You can go to Anil's joint in Hill Street Dehiwala. He will get the thing done for sure..but one thing.. make sure you dont take yo eyes off the bike till hes done..otherwise u will have to bring it back with parts missing :angry-smiley-048: (no choice since good superbike people are lacking in sri lanka). :angry-smiley-048:

ALL THE BEST! :angry-smiley-048:

Hi guys

I need help. I have a Honda CBR and it has onlight. Both the lights and the instrument cluster lights are on always. I want to change it as only one light is on always and the instrument cluster lights are not on always. So I need to add a new switch to do this. Do you guys have any idea where can I get this done?

Not familiar with the switch you have for the heads...but if you have one to switch on your main beams you wouldn't be needing any additional switches to do this...

In your current configuration the instrument cluster lights and the main beams must are in "on" position...

if you can locate and route these wires to the main head beam switch...these will only be on when you switch that on...

It's a fairly easy DIY IMHO if you know your way around small electrical repairs etc...

If you haven't done these sorta stuff before you might feel safe with a pro :) Any decent auto electrical guys should do

good luck and let us know how it goes

Not familiar with the switch you have for the heads...but if you have one to switch on your main beams you wouldn't be needing any additional switches to do this...

In your current configuration the instrument cluster lights and the main beams must are in "on" position...

if you can locate and route these wires to the main head beam switch...these will only be on when you switch that on...

It's a fairly easy DIY IMHO if you know your way around small electrical repairs etc...

If you haven't done these sorta stuff before you might feel safe with a pro :) Any decent auto electrical guys should do

good luck and let us know how it goes

Hay Thanks for the reply.

This was my first thought too. But the thing is then on night I will have to use the head all the time. This could annoy the oncoming traffic. I was also trying to find a switch that I can fix to my bike. I kinda found some and they cost around 20$ - 50$ and I guess with shipping it will go for something like 70$. So I was thinking if I can find a decent switch from SL it will be much cheap. Do you know anyplace where I can buy a switch. I can manage the work myself. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Hay Thanks for the reply.

This was my first thought too. But the thing is then on night I will have to use the head all the time. This could annoy the oncoming traffic. I was also trying to find a switch that I can fix to my bike. I kinda found some and they cost around 20$ - 50$ and I guess with shipping it will go for something like 70$. So I was thinking if I can find a decent switch from SL it will be much cheap. Do you know anyplace where I can buy a switch. I can manage the work myself. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Well i found ebay to be cheaper than in SL for certain items...

for example a used CDI for an XR250 is about 17k here while you can get the same for about 25-30US$... even with shipping it's still cheaper providing you're willing to take the risks of ebay :)

Now onto your switch. sadly my limited knowledge is in offroad/dual sport bikes so i dunno much about the switch config of your bike...

If the switch doesn't control any other actions that's unique to your model...you should be able to easily substitute a switch from another bike that has the same handle bar size... most of the bikes commonly used as touring bikes etc have the high/low beam and some even have the parking light function...

it should be a simple swap as long as the switch properly fits to the bike...

There's a place called gayan motors in maligawatta that deals with used spares for bikes... I'm sure if CBR's originally came with the dual headlight switch...these guys will have a used part. But these are used parts so they won't look the best...

Also you should be able to get some other switch that fits your bike... sadly i'm not an expert on CBR's and hope that those who are more familiar with that bike will chime in :)

Can you guys please tell me some good motorcycle electrical shop so I can buy a switch

The pre 94' CBRs came with the light switch & the post 94' CBRs came with the full time lights

the pre 94' CBRs are known in the local market as the "CBR Gull-Arm" & the post 94' models are know as the "CBR Fireblade"

So go to any of those shops & ask for the "CBR Gull Arm" light switches.

But they wont be cheap. You will probably find a brand new switch in singapore for the price of a used switch in the local market

hope that helps in your search ;)

Edited by shamitz

The pre 94' CBRs came with the light switch & the post 94' CBRs came with the full time lights

the pre 94' CBRs are known in the local market as the "CBR Gull-Arm" & the post 94' models are know as the "CBR Fireblade"

But they wont be cheap. You will probably find a brand new switch in singapore for the price of a used switch in the local market

Thank you very much for your reply. The thing is mine is not a 250CC CBR. Its just a cruise type 150cc which the dealers are bringing these days

Thank you very much for your reply. The thing is mine is not a 250CC CBR. Its just a cruise type 150cc which the dealers are bringing these days

as long as the handle bar sizes are the same u should be ok... even if its' not jerry rigging it shouldn't be a problem

Yep...gullarm switch will do the trick..