• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Personal Water Crafts

Watchman

sadly machang jetskis really haven't been caught up here just yet...

yes the local yammy dealers are brining the down parts for the yamaha's but i'm pretty sure they have a very small number of clients here....

there are few places who bring down cars and bikes at times bringing down pwc's but very rare...

once saw some kawasakis in car sale in negombo road...

don't think you get seadoo importers here machang...

i thought i'll bring this topic to a new thread cos it would have been a threadjacking of a useful thread...

anyway, yeah most jetskis that are selling at car-sales are used ones from japan. I think i went to check out the kawasaki you're talking about..it was more towards marawila wasnt it? asking price 425,00/= in december.. there some other yamaha lying around but most are not in running condition and some are missing a lot of parts... in fact the seadoo i'm looking for parts for was one such from panadura :) bought it as a restoration project actually... found some parts from a guy who was chopping up his seadoo and selling it for parts and i'm getting some more from S'pore....

someone tol me that the ones selling these days are all that were importeb before rthe govenment prohibited the import of PWCs and outboard engined over 45hp... dont know how far its true though... i guess this wont help make it any MORE popular in Sri Lanka... But i was quite suprised during a visit to the Colomob Yatch Club at the number of PWCs that are around but hardly used by users... some havent even been moved, let alone ridden in a year or 2...

if you goto the yamaha showroom you'll find a amazing massive beast... going price 2.3mil!!! dam beautiful....

All PWCs these days are built big.. the top of the range seadoo comes with an intercooled supercharged 1400cc engines throwing 255hp!!! othrs models use the same blick, but fewer tweaks but still give 150ho+hp....plus its a 60liter fuel tanks... now that puts MPG into perspective :D

Btw out of curiosity, why is boating off wattala etc restricted? or in the sense, why do you need a special permit for it?

i thought i'll bring this topic to a new thread cos it would have been a threadjacking of a useful thread...

anyway, yeah most jetskis that are selling at car-sales are used ones from japan. I think i went to check out the kawasaki you're talking about..it was more towards marawila wasnt it? asking price 425,00/= in december.. there some other yamaha lying around but most are not in running condition and some are missing a lot of parts... in fact the seadoo i'm looking for parts for was one such from panadura :) bought it as a restoration project actually... found some parts from a guy who was chopping up his seadoo and selling it for parts and i'm getting some more from S'pore....

someone tol me that the ones selling these days are all that were importeb before rthe govenment prohibited the import of PWCs and outboard engined over 45hp... dont know how far its true though... i guess this wont help make it any MORE popular in Sri Lanka... But i was quite suprised during a visit to the Colomob Yatch Club at the number of PWCs that are around but hardly used by users... some havent even been moved, let alone ridden in a year or 2...

if you goto the yamaha showroom you'll find a amazing massive beast... going price 2.3mil!!! dam beautiful....

All PWCs these days are built big.. the top of the range seadoo comes with an intercooled supercharged 1400cc engines throwing 255hp!!! othrs models use the same blick, but fewer tweaks but still give 150ho+hp....plus its a 60liter fuel tanks... now that puts MPG into perspective :D

Btw out of curiosity, why is boating off wattala etc restricted? or in the sense, why do you need a special permit for it?

well the problem in the wattala are is that it's quite close to colombo harbor if you have a fast enough boat...

once we were fishing close to the restricted area but didn't go into the restricted area cos that would've been the end of fishing there and man the Dvora that was so bloody far away got made dash at us in blistering speeds... quite scary to see a grey colored vessel armed with a big ass gun in front closing in on you :lol: i think they figure out were sportfishing and went passing us :lol:

You need to get special clearance from the navy to head out to the sea cos there is a naval detachment in crowe island that stop each and every boat that's heading in and heading out...

and they are positioned a damaged trawler in the middle of the river with armed sailors to take out any vessels that dis regard these checks etc...

And if you think that is tough...get this... You have to vacate the beach and the surrounding by 6pm every day so no more fishing into the night with a few beers by the side... That area is supposed to be high security zone....

I think you're ok if you stick in the river and not head towards the inlet and the sea :) but that's also within a time bracket

Onto watercrafts.... well actually the HP limit is a max of 25hp for any outboard motor and you can't have multiple motors even as a back up...

maybe you can get away by having a 15hp and a 10hp as a backup with the total being less or equal to 25hp

The government confiscated anything over this limit and gave the fishermen motors that are either 25 hp and less...

But i heard that in lakes and other inland water tanks etc people have higher hp rated motors... maybe there's a way to get clearance but as far as i know not a single commercial or recreational craft that operates in the seas have anything over 25hp...

On the yatch club...actually not only pwc's but also sailing boats are there without seeing much use by their owners... My immediate boss is into sailing and the bugger keeps his sailboat there :)

For your project... won't it be a bit more easier and effective to order part from abroad...maybe even buy online... places like ebay should have used parts...

I'm not a big fan of jetskis...prefer sailing and kayaking...the quieter types i suppose :)

Have no choice but to like motor boats since those are the only ones that i can troll off from and can get me to deeper fish holding waters :)

Care to share pics of you PWC? :)

anyway, yeah most jetskis that are selling at car-sales are used ones from japan. I think i went to check out the kawasaki you're talking about..it was more towards marawila wasnt it? asking price 425,00/= in december..

Dili, figure you've mentioned is bit confusing. Is it missing a 0 in the end or is the comma in misplace? If it’s the later one, that's quite a lot of money for a jet ski. Not that I know about the market price for these things I simply didn’t expect them to be that expensive.

On a similar subject I remember seen couple of lovely yachts in down south many moons ago. Any ideas weather they are owned by the hotels/resorts in the area or by private individuals?

There is a rule saying you have to register your watercraft with the police... as in just inform them that you have one, which we have done.. aparently the forces had uncovered a plot where the LTTE had planned to rig a jet-ski wth explosives n drive it into the habour... So they've decided to keep an eye open on these...

i think all 25+hp engienes have been confiscated.. cos last time i was at bolgoda, i saw a speed boat (maybe a 25 foot long one) skimming over the water like nothing... i seriously doubt if it was under 25... but i dont think they can impose that rule on Jet skis and other boats that work on water-jets though... not that easy taking out a impeller assembly and replacing it...

As for our project, being in S'pore i was able to track down a agent here who imports parts from canada, so i got most of the engine componants and other minor parts that i could get here... but Ebay doesnt have a lot of specific parts... anyway most parts are covered now.. its a few cosmetic parts that i'm looking for... wasnt worth getting them here cos they were bulky.. but like i said some people who have siezed machiens sell them in parts... so their parts kinda go cheap too...

As for ours its a 95 Seadoo XP... for an actual picture, well, cant get one, cos its in a thousand peices all over the garage :D bu this is basically the model and the same colour scheme.. seadoo changed colours only when a model changed.. as in, all 95 ones were yellow/white/purple mix like this.. 96 were green/white/purple if i remember right...

leighjetski2mu9.th.jpg

Dili, figure you've mentioned is bit confusing. Is it missing a 0 in the end or is the comma in misplace? If it’s the later one, that's quite a lot of money for a jet ski. Not that I know about the market price for these things I simply didn’t expect them to be that expensive.

On a similar subject I remember seen couple of lovely yachts in down south many moons ago. Any ideas weather they are owned by the hotels/resorts in the area or by private individuals?

sorry my bad.. its actually 425,000... thats fourhundred and twenty five thousand... hehehe!

Yeah thats a bit on the expensive side, but for one that WORKS and comes with a trailer thats a good price.... it was 1997 700cc i think...

you can find some in the 150,000 - 250,000 range depending on the condition (meaning not working, and extent of repair varies)... some may be a simple carburate/startermotor replacement but some could be more serious as entire engine/hull replacements... upon imidiate inquiry they probably might quote a big pricetag, but once they understand that you are serious and know the extent of repairs needed, they come down to a more realistic figure..

you could easily find 6-7 of these if you keep your eyes open on your way along galle road or negambo road... in fact my dad has seen one inland as far as Kurunegala :D (also car-part importer).. not to mention some that are just rotting in garages all around...

Like i said the new one at Yamaha is 2.3 Million... and for someone who wants to BUY a brand new jet-ski, i guess they probably have the cash to spend on it... as for those who cant, they buy run down old ones and fix-em-up :D

As for yatches, well, like Ripper also said there are lots of boat owners who i guess dont have the time... Col. Yatch Club i would say has about 50-70 watercrafts lying around the grounds, some unused in ages... but there are some who do take them out... And i think Bolgoda is one of the MOST popular places for boating, cosidering how vast it is.. They also have occasional sailing compertitions that i've seen... its a nice sight seeing so many sials just floating around..!!

Edited by Dilesh

I would like to write this for everybody who interested in PWC, Fishing, Diving.. etc at SEA.

According to naval regulations, some areas are restricted to use even more than 15HP out board motor driven boats. From Wattala to Wellawatta area, you have to get a special permission to use a boat. Its not difficult. But you have to clearly state your requirement in the request. I dont think that they will allow just for fishing.

If you have a PWC, always try to NOT to use it at open sea area because of security situation in the country. U can still have a fun in a bay like Unawatuna, Weligama, Thangalla, .. etc. Don't use it at open sea since PCW doesn't have marine communication sets, nobody can recognize u before shooting.

If you're a diver, don't dive near harbours & naval camps. Because navy ppl dropping depth charges (Dynamites) to sea when they feel a treat. Never try to dive near Colombo, Galle & Trinco harbours. Even after taking permissions, we usually informing them just before starting diving & just completed. Even after following above regulations, we had some bad experience in our past. Since we are in port, we really feel the threat we have. Therefore no time to think twice when find a stranger near the harbour area.

Better you all guys could use your PWC at a lake, tank.. etc.

For diving, always think about popular diving sites. If still like to dive in a unpopular area, better to inform navy and obtain a proper permission.

Wish u all the luck guys..

sorry my bad.. its actually 425,000... thats fourhundred and twenty five thousand... hehehe!

Yeah thats a bit on the expensive side, but for one that WORKS and comes with a trailer thats a good price.... it was 1997 700cc i think...

you can find some in the 150,000 - 250,000 range depending on the condition (meaning not working, and extent of repair varies)... some may be a simple carburate/startermotor replacement but some could be more serious as entire engine/hull replacements... upon imidiate inquiry they probably might quote a big pricetag, but once they understand that you are serious and know the extent of repairs needed, they come down to a more realistic figure..

you could easily find 6-7 of these if you keep your eyes open on your way along galle road or negambo road... in fact my dad has seen one inland as far as Kurunegala :D (also car-part importer).. not to mention some that are just rotting in garages all around...

Like i said the new one at Yamaha is 2.3 Million... and for someone who wants to BUY a brand new jet-ski, i guess they probably have the cash to spend on it... as for those who cant, they buy run down old ones and fix-em-up :D

As for yatches, well, like Ripper also said there are lots of boat owners who i guess dont have the time... Col. Yatch Club i would say has about 50-70 watercrafts lying around the grounds, some unused in ages... but there are some who do take them out... And i think Bolgoda is one of the MOST popular places for boating, cosidering how vast it is.. They also have occasional sailing compertitions that i've seen... its a nice sight seeing so many sials just floating around..!!

he he...and ourboatd motor alone costs more than 200k these days so a jetski for 425 is a good deal imho :lol:

he he...and ourboatd motor alone costs more than 200k these days so a jetski for 425 is a good deal imho :lol:

No man. Just lookaround at Down south area, probably u could get 15hp OBM less than 75,000/-. (Tsunami AID) :D

No man. Just lookaround at Down south area, probably u could get 15hp OBM less than 75,000/-. (Tsunami AID) :D

more than that it's the 19foot or so fiberglass boats...

they are everywhere and totally neglected... what a waste...

there's one next to my house and they use it to keep flower pots in the garden :angry-smiley-048:

I've seen so many in tangalle area in those small by roads close to the sea...

I got a yamaha wave runner. 250cc. havent used it for some time now. i used to ride it in the bolgoda river but now with security concerns and stuff you can not do that anymore

well i'm all for the country and all that but sometimes this security concerns really get to my nerves...

In my area...we can't go and stay in the beach after 6pm due this bloody thing... btw this is not in boat but just you in person

Can't go out to sea in a boat without getting navy clearance EACHTIME and that process is very inconvenient... And this is also required after using proper OBM's with approved ratings and to fish in cleared zones...

can't get radio controlled toys even if it's a tiny palm sized helicopter that's only capable of flying indoors with zero carrying capacity and minimal control range...

Yes it's true the present situ demands we do all these but at least they can be a bit more intelligent with their systems and make the processes easier for people....

I got a yamaha wave runner. 250cc. havent used it for some time now. i used to ride it in the bolgoda river but now with security concerns and stuff you can not do that anymore

machan, dont mean to contradict you outright, but Yamaha naver made a 250cc Waverunner.... they started with a 500cc 2 stroke and increased capacity with time... maybe you got some figures wrong.. check the engine number... it should have something like WJ500, WR500, SJ650 etc followed by a unique couple of digits.. these three digits followed by the WR/WJ/SJ indicates the capacity...

http://www.waverunner-fan.com/waverunners/history.html

this isnt an official yamaha site, but info is more or less the same in a Yamaha catalogue i got recently...

As for bolgoda, i dont think there's any 'restriction' per say.. you still can go out.. cos i did in early January this year... and saw some others in the water too...

just make a police report at the station near your area stating that you own such a PWC and mentioning where exactly you're gona use it, and get thier acknowledgement, and take a copy of the report with you when you go out.. And we havent had any cop issues as yet.. was stopped once but they just checked my NIC, asked where i was going with it, and told me to go ahead..

So, dont worry, you should be OK if you have the paperwork (provided you stay away from the HSZs mentioned earlier by ripper n iroshana). So go have some fun... i'm sure you know how MUCH fun it is :D