• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Paint Nical Parts

ThunderBolt

guys is there a place where they paint nical parts ( to remove scratches) in a car. recently got my car waxed. :(

wonder I can get it fixed.

errr...don't think you can "paint" nickel or chrome...

guys is there a place where they paint nical parts ( to remove scratches) in a car. recently got my car waxed. :(

wonder I can get it fixed.

you need to 'plate' it... sometime to do with ions and electorns and ionizing.. basically, cant do it at home or at the local painter :D

but the easiest place is to take it to a place like Duro in maradana... i remember them doing this to some antique car parts few years ago when i went there for some school-related work...

Edited by Dilesh

its tough to repatch nikel and chrome as far as i knw.....i was always told nt to try touchin up nikel parts since if the jobs nt done properly it will def show and mite cause corrosion...this is wut i was told havent tried it personaly so dont hold me against it.....any other member who cn give there input on the validity of this ????

its tough to repatch nikel and chrome as far as i knw.....i was always told nt to try touchin up nikel parts since if the jobs nt done properly it will def show and mite cause corrosion...this is wut i was told havent tried it personaly so dont hold me against it.....any other member who cn give there input on the validity of this ????

there are two types of "chroming" as it were.

one is electro plating and the other is hot dip galvanizing... hot dip is supposed to be superior to electro plating but is more expensive and needs better facilities to operate.

I'm assuming that touching up "chrome" leading to corrosion might have it's roots when plating people don't know for sure which metal has been used originally to plate the part in concern.

though people call it commonly chroming...Cr is not the only metal used to plate. You can use Zn too...

If you use Zn to touch up a previously Chromed part...the Zn will react with O2 and rust off since it's more reactive than Cr...

correct me if i'm wrong...my Chemistry lessons were back in 95-96 era :lol:

Quick&Short:

As Ripper has said, there's Plating and galvanizing. We only have plating shops in SL, as far as i know.

You can't touch up plated items- you can only strip the plating and re-plate the entire peice.

95% of the time, our fellows botch the job (just don't do it properly) as you'll find the plating peeling off after a year or two.

Give the classic car club of ceylon a shout- those fellows know their stuff! They can best advise.

Quick&Short:

As Ripper has said, there's Plating and galvanizing. We only have plating shops in SL, as far as i know.

You can't touch up plated items- you can only strip the plating and re-plate the entire peice.

95% of the time, our fellows botch the job (just don't do it properly) as you'll find the plating peeling off after a year or two.

Give the classic car club of ceylon a shout- those fellows know their stuff! They can best advise.

actually there are at least two places who does hot dip galvanizing. One is a company called Lanka Transformers the other evades my mind.

Good thing is that both the companies claim that they serve to both large orders and the smallest ones :)

I remember this from rainbowpages or something like that... refer that under galvanizing... you can't miss it cos if i remember right it was quite a big ad :)

can i remove those marks on the nical parts using compound? or is there anyother stuff which i can use.

you have pics of this or can you describe what/which part that has got scuffed

Ok I see a problem here,

All the comments here were made on the basis that ThunderBolt was talking about a metal part in a car which is chrome plated.

but in reality I think the bit in question is plastic and painted with a paint that makes it glow like chrome. And I'm sure electro plating or galvanizing both will not work in this case

anybody have any suggestions as to how such a part may be reconditioned ?

yes, it's a plastic, chrome plated part, not a metal.

there is a place in maligawatha who does plasitc nickel plating . they can give the same original look of chrome in plastic.

i forget the name it starts with D . from panchikawatha road, when you turn to maligawatha side( right turn from traffic lights) passing all bike spare part joints it is on the left side . i had the contact somewhere i'll try to dig it for you

I had the same issue, in my case it was the upper part on the front grille. (Mazda) Ran out of options and finally painted it body color.

You can try it too, less hassle. Unless you want to maintain the original look.

Just a suggestion.

you can't "chrome plate" plastic..

what you can do is paint it with "chrome look paint"... cant remember the name but once i saw a chrome "look" spray kits online...

it's not cheap and i think "pimp my ride" fellas once painted a car using this paint...a civic if i'm not wrong