• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pajero Exceed

isam

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a Pajero Exceed (1992) tdi, 2.5L. Odometer says it has done about 14 0000km but I doubt it. The vehicle is having FZ plates because it has been registered in 2006 taken from a customs auction.

I have been using a petrol car and am totally new to diesel engines. What should I look for when I buy the jeep, and what should I expect after buying in terms of maintenance.

Appreciate your comments very much. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a Pajero Exceed (1992) tdi, 2.5L. Odometer says it has done about 14 0000km but I doubt it. The vehicle is having FZ plates because it has been registered in 2006 taken from a customs auction.

I have been using a petrol car and am totally new to diesel engines. What should I look for when I buy the jeep, and what should I expect after buying in terms of maintenance.

more importantly check whether the timing belts have been properly replaced in 100,000km or if you're not sure replace 'em once you get the vehicle on your hands. AFAIK there are 2 timing belts in this engine. In contrast to the Turbo Inter cooled one this engine (4D56TD) is known to be rigid but check the engine for symptoms of low engine compression.

you can tryout a cold start without pre-heat and idle run soon after cold start whether the run is too rough.

Quick throttle to the metal and check for heavy black smoke ;)

Hi guys,

i assume your talking about the computer body (known by d traders)! i would agree with harshan's comments, but his latter comment is the most important i think. you better check about it before you buy the vehicle, as many mitsubushi intercooler engines tend to wear out due to under-compression after about 100-150k. the best thing is you better show it to a good mechanic and get their opinion before you buy it, as repairin mitsubishi engines tend to cost a hefty sum.

Hi guys,

Guys

How much are these vehical going for thesedays?

i think intercooler model came with a 2.8 engine, not 2.5 .... am i correct ??? anyway u dont need to do any engine repair (except the t-belt) @ 100-150K km if it maintained properly ....

The initial models came with a 2.5 litre engine. (turbo & intercooler)

Guys

How much are these vehical going for thesedays?

my uncle sold his Exceed 2.5 Turbo (not inter cooled) for 3.2 mil.

price of 2.8 inter cooled version of it vary starting from 4.4 mil to 5.5 mil depend on the reg no and options. FYI same person bought an inter cooled model for 4.5mil with 65 plates. it has electric, heated leather seats, Power mirror and ride adjustable shock absorbers (to my knowledge all these were optional for this model). Dual A/C, Electric sun roof, full option were basics for this model

Many thanks for all the helpful comments. Pls keep them coming.

i think intercooler model came with a 2.8 engine, not 2.5 .... am i correct ??? anyway u dont need to do any engine repair (except the t-belt) @ 100-150K km if it maintained properly ....

There are two generations it seems, till 1993 the engines were 2.5L, the ones manufacutred after 94 have 2.8L engines. They are asking for 4.6 mil. I feel its a bit too much.

Edited by isam

Many thanks for all the helpful comments. Pls keep them coming.

There are two generations it seems, till 1993 the engines were 2.5L, the ones manufacutred after 94 have 2.8L engines. They are asking for 4.6 mil. I feel its a bit too much.

2.5L intercooled ones has lesser market value compared to 2.8L. We came across few apparently and they were asking around 4.0 mil. There were few 65 plates and some of them were asking 4.8 mil or above which I felt too much.

the lowest we came across was 4.2mil with 64 plates and was poorly maintained, engine was weak and pouring oil all over, interior was terrible seats torn and cracked side upholstery and A/C vents were broken, tires were worn out and had major suspension repairs to be done and mind you that suspension repairs cost a fortune in this model not the engine.

Therefore its better to pay slightly a high price for a better maintained one. Always consider the condition of the tires, and suspension system.

Another fact is that try to find a one above 65 plates at least and with most number of options to justify the asking price ;)

there are three models which came in 92, pajero turbo wagon, the computer model (or police model) and the intercooler shape 2.5 litre (without turbo). the 2.8 litre intercooler came 93 onwards.

pajero turbo wagon's are for sale from 28-33! the computer model - 30-37. intercooler 2.5 - 36-42! All these prices vary according to the condition of the vehicle.

the brand new, company through 2.5 intercooler shape models nvr came as exceed and they didn't have intercooler turbo.

as yours is a exceed and is TDI, it should be a domestic model recondition import.

the 2.5's were much better dan the 2.8 intercoolers as their engines gave less trouble and is very economical in fuel terms.

for 4.6 i dont think its worth it cos cud you get a intercooler 2.8 65- for that price or 2-3 lacks higher.

with intercooler 2.8 models, i wud hav to agree with harshans comments. many 64-'s tend to be hacked. but u shud try to get a 65-,

as most 65- in the market ar at present in good condition. many traders charge a slightly higher price if the colour is red or white as wel for some unknown reason.

but i wud agree with vwvortex, i wud also opt for a prado box model. we had 2 65-'s and dey were easy to maintain and easy to resell.

can someone maybe explain why the computer model is called that? first time i'm hearing this but seems like an interesting nick for a jeep :D

as for the red/white intercoolers fetching a higher price, it might be because they DO look quite nice in those 2 colours especially... i never did fancy the 2 tone intercoolers. All the colours Mitsubishi decided to use looked very burnt out or faded away.... :D

can someone maybe explain why the computer model is called that? first time i'm hearing this but seems like an interesting nick for a jeep :D

This name was given to the High roof variants - so i'm guessing the name stemmed from quite possibly from the phrase "Commuter model" :)

I sold mine for 4.5m 3 months back to the same person from whom I bought it 4 1/2 yrs back for 3.3m. Its a 1995 2800cc turbo intercooler with full option + leather in very good condition 128000km & 65-1xxx.

Too bad milinda I missed yours

Came across with another today, which was badged as Montero (european brand?). It seemd to be in very good condition and the YOM is 1999, with leather interior and 2500K km on the odometer. But they were asking for 60 which is out of my budget. Still on the lookout :(

Came across with another today, which was badged as Montero (european brand?). It seemd to be in very good condition and the YOM is 1999, with leather interior and 2500K km on the odometer. But they were asking for 60 which is out of my budget. Still on the lookout :(

its not a european brand. its the model which came after the 2.8 intercooler (97/98 onwards). it was a very reliable model. the avarage market price i think is between 50-55, 60 is way too much.. there is a 2000 model 2.8 montero (leather seats) for sale on AL classified at 7 mill (negotiable as well), i would consider that as a bargain although the leather seats looks worn out.

by the way how much is your budget??

That pajero was bought from and sold back to racing driver late Mr. Dilshan Bandaranayake. I still cant beleive that he's not with us anymore.

its not a european brand. its the model which came after the 2.8 intercooler (97/98 onwards). it was a very reliable model. the avarage market price i think is between 50-55, 60 is way too much.. there is a 2000 model 2.8 montero (leather seats) for sale on AL classified at 7 mill (negotiable as well), i would consider that as a bargain although the leather seats looks worn out.

by the way how much is your budget??

40, maybe able to push the envilope a little more for if the condition is good with the expectation of not having to do much after buying.