• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sudden Demise Of Our Fellow Member & Veteran Mini Racing Driver Dilshan Bandaranayake

GMI

Overdrive, Dilshan was unfortunately the first racing driver killed in the history of organized Sri Lankan racing. However, racing riders have died before, including Ranjith Dhanapala at last year's Nuwara Eliya Road Races. Overall I'd say that about 3 riders have died and now 1 driver.

I only hope that his death was not in vain and that SLAS and the Federation use this opportunity to rethink the safety standards in local motor racing - from helmets, to suits, to roll-cages and most importantly, circuits.

Edited by KLM

sad news indeed. Hopefully this will make everyone involved revisit racing safety so the events can be as safe as possible.

Edited by dhp

my deepest sympathies to friends and family members :(

I was also wondering whether necessary safety precautions were followed...don't think i've seen many minis with roll cages etc and a proper seating with good harness system...

but then again i've not seen race ready minis up close so don't really know...

anybody else have a better idea on this

Looks like there is a roll cage but that doesn't mean much if it's not attached properly. Hard to tell from this pictures but it looks like a 5 point. Looks like a devastating impact against something flat and hard. Has anyone seen what he hit?

The A pillar is completely distorted and moved to the left. The cage also look to be bent to the left.

Mods, if posting this picture is inappropriate, please delete.

z_spo350.jpg

Looks like there is a roll cage but that doesn't mean much if it's not attached properly. Hard to tell from this pictures but it looks like a 5 point. Looks like a devastating impact against something flat and hard. Has anyone seen what he hit?

The A pillar is completely distorted and moved to the left. The cage also look to be bent to the left.

Mods, if posting this picture is inappropriate, please delete.

z_spo350.jpg

Some news reports said wall, some said tree.

My deepest sympethies to Dilshan's familiy!

One TV channel reported last night, that N'eliya road race were baned for cars. They showed an article issued by prsidential secretariet, which highlited clearly by authorising this track only for motorcycle racing considering safty issues.

If it's a banned track for cars, organaisers should take the blame for conducting un authorized race.

I hope they will act professionaly in future without costing any more lives of good racers in this country.

well what i heard was that it was either something made with cement or concrete...a pillar, post of some sorts

why can't they use tyres and other stuff to absorb impact upon a crash to make the tracks at least a little bit safer. :unsure:

It was a head on collision with the small concrete structure like a roundabout you get when you enter n'eliya from the radella road!! which is almost in the middle of a road where hardly two buses can by pass each other!!clearly not a track suitable to hold a car race with a mass start!!The small roundabout had sand bags around it filled with "dirt" clearly not sand..anyhow i dont think it would have helped in any case cos this was a head on collision with a dead stop!!the impact is all there to see..if what the reports say is true i hope ther will be some action taken against the organises who clearly had acted iiligaly without concedering the safty of participants and spectectors!!!

Guys lets not forget to pray for Ajith ayya who is still in hospital in a non-life threatening serious condition.He lost the sight of an eye and with partial vision of the other.

Get well soon Ajith ayya!

MINIACE

It's good news...let's pray for him to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thnks for info....

Its really sad to lose a very close and a very good-hearted friend!

My sympathies to his wife ,kids, relatives and friends!

Dilshan! We miss you brother!

MINIACE

I didn't know he had kids, I feel really bad for them. I hope someone somewhere is thinking of a charity event to help out with some of the burdens for the families involved (hope I am not offending anyone)

was this event organized by any sanctioning body? I am not trying to point fingers but I just don't know the structure of motor racing in SL and to what degree the government controls it. At least this accident should force whoever is in charge to take a second or third look at safety.

Deepest sympathies to his family...

Very sad news indeed, its about time all the drivers got together and spoke to the organisers about safety.

Over here (in dubai), for high speed events an FIA approved rollcage is a must .... it doesnt have to be FIA in SL due to the high costs, but a regulatory body should be there to make sure safety is a number one priority. Safety of racers and spectators. Track walks should be done by the organisers to make sure the track is fit for racing. Open your eyes dear organisers !! open your eyes ...

After reading the comments and without having any first hand information I do not think the failure of the roll cage was the problem in this case. I think the steering column has collapsed on the driver due to the forces generated by the right hand wheel hitting a stationary object. A very tragic accident.

I have read a number of comments on this thread on cars needing to have FIA approved roll cages. It is actually my understanding that cars are in fact required to have such roll cages in order to race and these cages are mostly locally manufactured. Sadly if the cage did fail the manufacturer of the cage and very sadly the participant needs to share some of the responsibility for this incident (please note I am not intending this to be offensive to anyone).

Its also a wake up call for all racing drivers to make doubly sure they have adequate safety gear installed in the vehicles they race.

Organisers can only physically inspect cages to be in line with specifications so their strength and structural integrity (basically the quality of construction) is left to the participants. I do not think with the kind of budgets our racing drivers have it would be possible to conduct crash testing on vehicles before they are allowed to race.

Crash testing ... hmmmmm not in SL dues to the high costs.

But maybe the regulatory authority can approve a cage fabricator to do all the work?

As you said The Don, in the end its upto the driver to make sure his car is safe. I know people here (in dubai) taking part in events with an empty Extinguisher ... they say it saves weight ... but will it save their lives in the event of a cockpit fire?

Anyway, i think we better start a seperate thread on safety issues and not jack this thread.

Once again, our deepest sympathies to Dilshan's family & friends.