• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

First Crash And Need Advice

Ripper

Question

OK guys need ya help and need it fast...

I met up with my first ever accident and yippee it was my fault :action-smiley-060:

took my eyes off the road for like half a second to change the track from my ipod and low and behold the MSD jeep going in front of me had come to a screeching halt...

sadly i din't have enough time do the same so bang!

Nothing happened to the cop jeep thanks to a big azz rear buffer guard thing but my poor sprinter was not that lucky!

Busted both my head lights, scraped the bumper and broke off all the clips it was held with and also rolled back the bonnet...

I'm with FP full cover so the buggers came and did their thing... couldn't open the bonnet due to impact damage so not sure the full extent of things...

I checked for any tell tale signs of fluid leaks and nothing was visible...

btw the accident happened right opposite temple trees and didn't notice anything like any getting heated etc as i drove back to office near durdens

all the drivers going passed me was giving that look "oh look at that retard who banged a cop jeep from behind" :angry-smiley-048:

Onto more important things...The car is metallic silver and i think i need to replace my bonnet and do some work on my buffer and repaint all of that to match the rest of the car... need to replace both headlights so i was wondering whether to put a bit more money from my hand and go for crystal lights... Does anyone know how much it will be for a pair of crystal lights for an AE100 sprinter?

And what's the best joint to get all of these things done?

Friends recommend sprayM*ch since they will perfectly match the colors etc...

How much will it roughly cost for a full paint job without much tinkering stuff? My paintwork is pretty old and dull so was thinking since the car is anyway out of action for a while whether get all of this done in one go and take the additional damage meself and payup :(

appreciate valid criticism, not so valid criticism and hopefully some good tips and info to make my day a wee bit better

cheers

ripper

sl271689ce0.th.jpg

Edited by Ripper

21 answers to this question

Machan I think Kl**npark is doing accident repairs, and re-painting. I'm a happy customer of a re-painting job. I have seen their website that they are doing head lamp renewal too. However it seems your damage is not much.

OK guys need ya help and need it fast...

I met up with my first ever accident and yippee it was my fault :action-smiley-060:

took my eyes off the road for like half a second to change the track from my ipod and low and behold the MSD jeep going in front of me had come to a screeching halt...

sadly i din't have enough time do the same so bang!

Nothing happened to the cop jeep thanks to a big azz rear buffer guard thing but my poor sprinter was not that lucky!

Busted both my head lights, scraped the bumper and broke off all the clips it was held with and also rolled back the bonnet...

I'm with FP full cover so the buggers came and did their thing... couldn't open the bonnet due to impact damage so not sure the full extent of things...

I checked for any tell tale signs of fluid leaks and nothing was visible...

btw the accident happened right opposite temple trees and didn't notice anything like any getting heated etc as i drove back to office near durdens

all the drivers going passed me was giving that look "oh look at that retard who banged a cop jeep from behind" :angry-smiley-048:

Onto more important things...The car is metallic silver and i think i need to replace my bonnet and do some work on my buffer and repaint all of that to match the rest of the car... need to replace both headlights so i was wondering whether to put a bit more money from my hand and go for crystal lights... Does anyone know how much it will be for a pair of crystal lights for an AE100 sprinter?

Friends recommend sprayM*ch since they will perfectly match the colors etc...

How much will it roughly cost for a full paint job without much tinkering stuff? My paintwork is pretty old and dull so was thinking since the car is anyway out of action for a while whether get all of this done in one go and take the additional damage meself and payup :(

appreciate valid criticism, not so valid criticism and hopefully some good tips and info to make my day a wee bit better

cheers

ripper

sl271689ce0.th.jpg

Sad to hear about your accident,

As you said you probably need a new bumper, head lamps and bonnet and need to inspect damage to the radiator and condenser

You would also probably require some jigging work on the front to pull the car back to shape.

Need to also inspect for damages to steering and front suspension

Just be thankful the bonnet did not bash in to the windscreen and it would have been much more complicated (not being able to drive the car park the car outside etc etc)

By Sri Lankan standards this is an easy repair and should not take too long as parts are a full swap and they should be very easy to find.

I'm not sure of what FP full cover provides you with but if you are arranging for the repair yourself, I suggest you find a tinker who will jig the car back to its original shape and bolt on the parts within a week and then take an appointment with spramech and use the car until they can take it in for painting

try to minimise the amount of time the car spends at the tinkers cos that is when the real damage happens to cars !

Every time my family cars have been left at tinkers for extended periods of time something has happened !

Every time the car needed a new battery

We had issues with dead rats and rat nests

The ECU of my car went bust (not sure if it was related but the car was fine before it was taken in for painting !)

So try to minimise the amount of time the car is out of action and not running !

Dude, if you have FP full cover, just put it to Formula World. They can check the frame too. And its not too far from where you live. They'll have it done in a snap.

thanks all for replies...

Peri..

Since mine is 19- formula world doesn't take it. they only take english plated cars though the premium for my car makes me eligible for formula world.

Don and Iroshana

I took the car to KlnPark a lil while ago and it seems they are fully booked. The guy said he can only take the car in on the 5th of May but can have it all finished in 3-4 days :)

They opened up the stuck bonnet and since the jeep i hit was quite high majority of the damage in concentrated on the top part of the front end... The shell or whatever metal thing that's holding the radiator has got dented but radiator itself is quite ok...

According to the mech there i need new lights, new bonnet and need to straighten that shell thing...

Only downside now is having to drive around taking so much of un-necessary attention :lol:

Edited by Ripper

Incidentally how much did Kleen Park quote for the repair ?

that's the funny part... i think they're gonna really rip off the insurers cos they said that they will handle everything...even sorting out the estimates etc with the insurer.

One of my co workers was saying when KP quoted 22k for a paint touch up...he had managed to get it done elsewhere for 8k...

quality of the work is something i don't know about in that instance...

But i'm assuming that my damage is fairly simpler to fix since mostly it's just a swap and re-paint

some of my more smarter friends are saying to take it to a smaller joint and get it done and maybe those folks might be able to touch up my other minor dings and scrapes as well and still keep it lower than the KP quote :rolleyes:

that's the funny part... i think they're gonna really rip off the insurers cos they said that they will handle everything...even sorting out the estimates etc with the insurer.

One of my co workers was saying when KP quoted 22k for a paint touch up...he had managed to get it done elsewhere for 8k...

quality of the work is something i don't know about in that instance...

But i'm assuming that my damage is fairly simpler to fix since mostly it's just a swap and re-paint

some of my more smarter friends are saying to take it to a smaller joint and get it done and maybe those folks might be able to touch up my other minor dings and scrapes as well and still keep it lower than the KP quote :rolleyes:

The advantage of using a joint like KP is that you can hold them responsible for their workman ship. And since it makes little difference to you how much the whole thing costs since the insurance will cover it there is good reason to use them.

I also know of a small joint of the nature above who will also sort things out in the same way as KP, and might cost less and be flexible but I'm not sure if there is great benefit in using somebody like that since insurance covers the cost, and the impact on your no claims bonus is the same.

The advantage of using a joint like KP is that you can hold them responsible for their workman ship. And since it makes little difference to you how much the whole thing costs since the insurance will cover it there is good reason to use them.

I also know of a small joint of the nature above who will also sort things out in the same way as KP, and might cost less and be flexible but I'm not sure if there is great benefit in using somebody like that since insurance covers the cost, and the impact on your no claims bonus is the same.

very true :)

very true :)

man i'm ticked off with bloody insurance folks...

KleenPa** is doing the job and bloody FP wants me to pay for 25% of the paint cost, 25% of the cost for the new bumper, 25% to re-gas the ac unit since it has to come out for the repair :violent-smiley-030: :violent-smiley-030: :violent-smiley-030:

Ripper, how much KP charged you ????

well the estimate is not complete since they haven't added up the costs of replacement parts.. the other stuff seems to be around 35k.. and this is minus vat

replacement parts are

engine hood, bumper, both headlights, one combination lamp, ac valve, ac filter, re-gas ac

man i'm ticked off with bloody insurance folks...

KleenPa** is doing the job and bloody FP wants me to pay for 25% of the paint cost, 25% of the cost for the new bumper, 25% to re-gas the ac unit since it has to come out for the repair :violent-smiley-030: :violent-smiley-030: :violent-smiley-030:

Now you need to ask the insurance guys to clarify as to why they want this payment, especially if used parts are being used for the repair.

Insurance only covers to return the car to the state it was before the accident. In your case I guess a 15 year old car. But when used parts are being used they tend to cover the whole cost for that reason. So I'm not quite sure why the extra charges.

Either KP has provided an estimate well beyond the insurance peoples estimate or they are using brand new parts !.

Now you need to ask the insurance guys to clarify as to why they want this payment, especially if used parts are being used for the repair.

Insurance only covers to return the car to the state it was before the accident. In your case I guess a 15 year old car. But when used parts are being used they tend to cover the whole cost for that reason. So I'm not quite sure why the extra charges.

Either KP has provided an estimate well beyond the insurance peoples estimate or they are using brand new parts !.

well KP is using all used parts since insurance folks doesn't approve new ones apparently... I also don't want "cheat" the insurance folks but just want the car back to what it was before the crash :)

I think one of the excuses was that the old paint was...well old and faded so since the new paint is coming in i have to bear 25% of that cost...

I doubt KP would want to cheat me out cos i'm their bloody client after all... but SL being what it is...i'm sure expecting insurance fellas to slash costs they might've charged a bit more to be safe.. I'm ok as long as that doesn't transfer back to me :lol:

on the 93 model car thing, the KP guy still haven't found the replacement stuff and he's saying that since it's an old model it's a bit difficult to source... an argument i find very hard to believe :)

maybe the guy wants to buy some time or summin :violent-smiley-099: I've told the fella if he can't find the stuff to let me know and i'll find it for him :angry-smiley-048: he still hasn't replied to that :angry-smiley-048:

sad to hear bout your inability to take the car to formula world.. Thats a crappy policy on thier part..

I'd recommend spraymech too.

tks mate. yeah it suck on the FW thing cos some cars gets in even paying a cheaper premium than i'm paying and i can't simply due to the number plate not being alpha numeric :lol:

spraymech i've heard a few not so good comments...that's why i kept away.

Lets see how KP is... :) so far i'm not so happy with their customer care part...

progress report...

man i'm regretting giving the car to KP for repairs :violent-smiley-030:

before taking the car there the manager fella there said he can give it back to me in 4-5 ... it's almost 2 weeks still no car... :violent-smiley-030:

after taking the car in he started all this BS saying can't find the bonnet, lights and buffer etc since it's a 93 model sprinter...

called him 3-4 times today to get the final cost of the whole things faxed to me from morning and till now no response...

excuse is that he can't sort it out just like that cos the ac needs re-gassing etc etc my foot :angry-smiley-048:

The man was supposed to deliver the car today according to his earlier promises :violent-smiley-099:

I'm thinking of complaining to KP HQ or something cos end of the day we're paying a premium to these guys to get better service and a better product... The least they can do is be a bit more respectful and honest... at least professional.

KleenPa*K body shop sucks...never again man...NEVER again

I hope at least they've fixed everything properly after all this hassle...

make sure you drop a complain to their manager or possibly higher ups. they usually get their ass in gear after a yell or 2.

actually my gripe is with the manager at the workshop. the guy has been a bit rude after taking the car in... Before that he was all up in smiles.

i was supposed to be picking up the ride today but it's still not even painted... now he says it'll be ready tomorrow.

from morning i've been asking for the bloody invoice or whatever and he still hasn't given even that to me...

when i kept on asking it from he says "i just can't give it to you like that cos there are things like AC re-gas"... WTF? I was supposed to be getting the bloody car today and this looser is telling me that the invoice is not ready cos he has to add ac gassing cost... he must've thought that i don't know anything about cars or something to think AC re-gas is a biggie...

what a loser...

I've heard only good things about these guys but i guess you gotta go through it ya self to realize how these things work out...

i could've expected this from a small timer...definitely not from a so called "professional" place who have their tag line stating "coz' vehicles have feelings too"

My friend who recommended KP to me is out on sick leave...waiting till the bugger gets back to give a good kick in the a$$ for all this shit :violent-smiley-099:

actually my gripe is with the manager at the workshop. the guy has been a bit rude after taking the car in... Before that he was all up in smiles.

i was supposed to be picking up the ride today but it's still not even painted... now he says it'll be ready tomorrow.

from morning i've been asking for the bloody invoice or whatever and he still hasn't given even that to me...

when i kept on asking it from he says "i just can't give it to you like that cos there are things like AC re-gas"... WTF? I was supposed to be getting the bloody car today and this looser is telling me that the invoice is not ready cos he has to add ac gassing cost... he must've thought that i don't know anything about cars or something to think AC re-gas is a biggie...

what a loser...

I've heard only good things about these guys but i guess you gotta go through it ya self to realize how these things work out...

i could've expected this from a small timer...definitely not from a so called "professional" place who have their tag line stating "coz' vehicles have feelings too"

My friend who recommended KP to me is out on sick leave...waiting till the bugger gets back to give a good kick in the a$$ for all this shit :violent-smiley-099:

Sad to hear of your problems Ripper,

I think you should just call him on his bluff. Before hand do some research,

1. Call Dai Lanka etc to find out the availability of the parts you require for your car.

2. Contact neighborhood AC guy for a quote for re-gassing. It was 900 Rs in 2004 the last time I got it done.

Armed with this information call him up and call his bluff and more precisely remind him that you and him have a binding contract for his services

That you will complain to his higher management, and if a satisfactory response is not provided take them to court/ the ombudsman over breach of contract and consumer law

Ask him to reduce the cost in light of your inconvenience due to their failings and bull shit

The key thing is to be firm but very very calm. Do not get angry, aggressive raise your tone in any way.

To take it a bit further record the conversation and inform it is being recorded

Now I do not know if the above will help but hopefully it would unsettle him enough to get the car back to you soon.

Next time I think I will give him my old neighborhood tinker dudes number. He will not make promises to finish the job in 5 days and will take 2 weeks plus a few days over run depending on the weather. But it will be a case of the known Devil being better than the unknown saint and my family has dealt with him since 1997.

thanks Don

I'm getting it tomorrow :) or at least the car will be ready tomorrow for after repair inspection by the insurance folks

actually on the parts things i challenged him then and there... cos pila told me earlier about aut*base so i told the bugger if he can't find the parts to let me know cos i know where to find em... that was the end of his parts excuse...

Got the invoice just now faxed to me...almost 59k total

good thing is that surprisingly or rather shockingly SL*C is really good with their customer service. called me up and sorted all out... and they will check the car tomorrow and issue the check on monday... hand delivered to my office... Now that's service :)