• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Landcruiser Bj40

satyajit

The BJ40 is a very capable off roader ,that has gained almost cult status in Asia, Australia and even in the Americas in the form of the FJ40- the petrol variant.

Give us an indication of the condition and also price. How well is it restored?

The BJ40 is a very capable off roader ,that has gained almost cult status in Asia, Australia and even in the Americas in the form of the FJ40- the petrol variant.

Give us an indication of the condition and also price. How well is it restored?

It has been striped to the chassis & overhauled. Rear has oil plus gas shocks. The frot has only oil shocks. Leaf springs wz shackels. A recon engine fitted.

Hows that to know if I will get a raw deal in terms of repairs & spares in the future. Will it have a resale vaue. Is it Obsolete. I mean a ols crock!!!

ThanX.

Satyajit.

It will have it's re-sale value as long you don't pay a premium price for it yourself. What is the asking price?

[/quote The asking price is 1.6. Can u recommend a genuine/expert BJ40 mechanic/garage who can do good maint/repairs to BJ40s.

This one I am refering to is restored to the full. Even the hand brake is fitted under the dash in the middle & not between the two front seats as they have fitted a arm rest in the middle.

Why do they put four shocks in the rear? It has a free wheeling hub, what the hell is that? The Diffs have been overhauled.

Is this purcase risky??????

What should I look for when inspecting including the docs, as it has been run on open papers. The engine no is now different and the jeep colur is also different.

Is the hard top better than the canvas in general. It has power steering too.

Can u recommend where I can look 4 a used/in reasonable condition 4 whell like a Defender90 or BJ40 at a reasonable price!!!!!! (other than Indicas Buthgama Sales joint PLEASE!!!!)

What r the week points in a BJ40 from a users point of view????

Satyajit.

i see quite a few in the AL clasified too.. one for 1.6mil too, would (http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=5592)this happen to be the one you're referring to?

though if the vehicle does not have the same engine as the registration says it does you might have a bit of trouble explaining it to the RMV or to the next buyer when you're parting with it... its common for engine swaps to happen on older 4x4s but considering the bunch of vehicles in the market IMO you might be able to get one with a less shadier past/record/book...

i see quite a few in the AL clasified too.. one for 1.6mil too, would (http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=5592)this happen to be the one you're referring to?

though if the vehicle does not have the same engine as the registration says it does you might have a bit of trouble explaining it to the RMV or to the next buyer when you're parting with it... its common for engine swaps to happen on older 4x4s but considering the bunch of vehicles in the market IMO you might be able to get one with a less shadier past/record/book...

If anyone is selling a BJ40 or Defender90 pls call 077.3033419(Satyajit). I am looking for something genuine not a Look-a-like!!!! (Plus a FAIR price).

Any advice for a first time buyer rgds 4 wheelers welcome. Any good Mag recommended or web site to suit Sri Lankas is welcome.

I was told that Defenders are a bit troublesome & require constant attention/maintenance.Its more a brand name and the Jap 4 wheelers are easy to maintain.

Hope u guys can ENLIGHTEN me .

Satyajit.

I am trying to own a BJ40. Its totally overhauled. I am new to Jeeps. Any advice to buy or not to buy.

Satyajit.

My advice is not to buy modified vehicle. Try to buy Original condition BJ40. It will not beautiful but it is valued than modified one because it has only original parts.

Sorry for the inconvenience. this is my view.

i doubt you'll have much trouble with the RMV to get the book amended specially when taking the age of the vehicle into consideration. so don't hold that as a reason to not to buy the vehicle

i doubt you'll have much trouble with the RMV to get the book amended specially when taking the age of the vehicle into consideration. so don't hold that as a reason to not to buy the vehicle

But RMV requests you show them the original receipts of the Re-con engine etc. But if you have an inside man, things will be different.

I am trying to own a BJ40. Its totally overhauled. I am new to Jeeps. Any advice to buy or not to buy.

Satyajit.

I'm using a Mitsubishi 4DR5(2) Jeep for about last 6 months period. It was modified by one of Osan**'s cousin. I observed many things that we have to look into when we are going for a older modified 4x4.

My jeep is also having power steering, A/C, Wide offroad tires and finish is nice. But I observed its having a Nissan brake booster :lol: and once I question it from the modified person, he told me it must have that type of bigger booster in order to handle the bigger sized wheels. However once I went to the Buthgamuwa guy (Not the defender guy) it seems he is verymuch knowledgable than that originally modified guy. I learn many things from him.

However you must specially check the brake system and also the steering system. Those are very important. And ask for a test drive and see whether any abnormal behaviors when driving. Specially in steering. Because I spend more than 2~3 moths to make my steering system working correctly. Its very important if you can check under the chassis. See all nuts and bolts are placed and tied-up correctly. Also see the engine and try to identify whether correct combination of units used when modifing. (In my case I have Nissan Brake booster with Mitsubishi Engine :lol: ).

Check all indicators, lights.. etc are working. You can negotiate the price on them.

Regarding the price idea, I dont know anything to say about. I got my Jeep for 1.5mil. I also need to sell it out now. But still looking here and there in advertisements to fix a price for that. :D

I'm not a genius on 4x4. I wrote above according to my experience. There are so many things which I experienced with that Jeep. Hope these will help you to get some idea.

Its quite common to have non-original manufacturer parts in older SUVs. In fact out 4DR5 has a Hyhundai Servo-booster.

And ours too had an engine swap too, with a newer one. Fortunately we have a receipt for it and an RMV application was submitted for the info change in the book.. went through the whole reweighing process etc, but its still not finalized... takes time i guess.. havent been following up on it with them....

though I do agree a test drive would give you an idea on all the things like brake, steering and suspension issues....

Its quite common to have non-original manufacturer parts in older SUVs. In fact out 4DR5 has a Hyhundai Servo-booster.

And ours too had an engine swap too, with a newer one. Fortunately we have a receipt for it and an RMV application was submitted for the info change in the book.. went through the whole reweighing process etc, but its still not finalized... takes time i guess.. havent been following up on it with them....

though I do agree a test drive would give you an idea on all the things like brake, steering and suspension issues....

Very educative discussion????? What if the leaf springs are replaced wz coil springs. Is this good or bad performancewise.

These shocks, gas or oil which is better and how many KM does it last? How about the reconditioned shocks.

Will a engine replaced wz a Turbo engine make a good performance on a BJ40. How about disc brakes vs drum brakes.

Who can fit a AC? Can the engine lose its power after fitting as AC, is this inviting probs like overheating?

Satyajit.

Very educative discussion????? What if the leaf springs are replaced wz coil springs. Is this good or bad performancewise.

These shocks, gas or oil which is better and how many KM does it last? How about the reconditioned shocks.

Will a engine replaced wz a Turbo engine make a good performance on a BJ40. How about disc brakes vs drum brakes.

Who can fit a AC? Can the engine lose its power after fitting as AC, is this inviting probs like overheating?

Satyajit.

Second paper :lol:

coil springs are bit more comfortable than leaf springs. Either Toyota or Mitsubishi, a turbo charged engine has some more performance than a normal engine. In my case I have drub brakes with a bigger booster as I told in previous post. Its working without any matter and no idea about disk brakes. As my knowledge most of BJ40 and Mitsubishi Jeeps are having only drum brakes even after modification. Actually its more than enough to stop the vehicle when the system equipped with a good booster.

Fitting an A/C is actually bit decrease engine performance. Even my Jeep having 4DR5-2 engine which is designed for Mitsubishi ROSA bus, I can feel bit difference when the AC compressor is running. However when fixing the A/C, don't fix it to the same drive belt which the power steering pump is running. It will make unnecesary difficulties when both A/C compressor and the PS pump is running with load. Anyways I dont think it will create problems like overheating. Ask AC technician to fix the AC radiator in a well ventilated place. Dont let it disturb the airflow flowing throu the engine radiator.

However the inside layers of the canopy will cause for AC. If you have a aluminium foil layer in the canopy, the AC will deliver good results. Anyway dont expect AC like in our cars.

There are so many small things which you have to consider buying a modified 4x4 specially BJ40 and Mitsubishi Jeep. No idea about defenders.

I'm writing on my experience. Please correct me sombody if I'm wrong.

Satyajit.

I've heard of a couple of 4DR5s too that have had leaf-to-spring suspension conversions... not to mention independent suspension... performance wise i think coils give better comfort and a little more flexibility in off-roading..

How long the shocks last depends mostly on how the vehicle is used. But i too am curious can you give a mileage figure for a set of shocks?

A turbo conversion gives a performance upgrade on ANY vehicle not just a BJ40, so yes to that question.

Disk brakes are more effective than drum brakes, though many older vehicles (like 4DR5s and BJ40s) run on drums on all 4 wheels. (something you can remedy with a bigger servo.)

Considering the fact that its a diesel engine and a big engine at that, i dont think an AC installation would have any negative effects as bad as overheating. Of course there will be a slight loss of power when running with the AC but it'll be so small that you might not even notice (unless you have a compressor thats not properly matched for your engine's power output). As for WHO can fit an AC, most decent AC joints should be able to handle the job... there have been a couple of threads on AC repairs etc. you can check that thread out for recommendations..

ya that buthgamuwa road guy he is the best in the market .... he does a very good job when it comes to repairing and modifing one of my frnds pertol is there tooo for repairs after it did some flips with the crew down south when they were on there way back .... home after a trip :ninja:

I've heard of a couple of 4DR5s too that have had leaf-to-spring suspension conversions... not to mention independent suspension... performance wise i think coils give better comfort and a little more flexibility in off-roading..

How long the shocks last depends mostly on how the vehicle is used. But i too am curious can you give a mileage figure for a set of shocks?

A turbo conversion gives a performance upgrade on ANY vehicle not just a BJ40, so yes to that question.

Disk brakes are more effective than drum brakes, though many older vehicles (like 4DR5s and BJ40s) run on drums on all 4 wheels. (something you can remedy with a bigger servo.)

Considering the fact that its a diesel engine and a big engine at that, i dont think an AC installation would have any negative effects as bad as overheating. Of course there will be a slight loss of power when running with the AC but it'll be so small that you might not even notice (unless you have a compressor thats not properly matched for your engine's power output). As for WHO can fit an AC, most decent AC joints should be able to handle the job... there have been a couple of threads on AC repairs etc. you can check that thread out for recommendations..

Well the Mitsubishi Jeeps have the advantage of being compatible with the 4DR6 turbo engine with is a bolt on type of job. I've actually driven a Jeep which came with a 4DR6 as original equipment and in my humble opinion that jeep was too wild for my liking (a lot of power being pumped in to the small light short wheel base jeep which didn't even have doors !).

Well the Mitsubishi Jeeps have the advantage of being compatible with the 4DR6 turbo engine with is a bolt on type of job. I've actually driven a Jeep which came with a 4DR6 as original equipment and in my humble opinion that jeep was too wild for my liking (a lot of power being pumped in to the small light short wheel base jeep which didn't even have doors !).

yeah I remember you mentioning this before.... I too have noticed that the mitsubishi is quite an unbelievably wild ride after you pass 40mph... and hits the limit of about 60-65mph without any issue.... always thought that the jeep could easily handle another additional higher gear..

if you compare the 4DR6 with a 200 or 300 Tdi defender mitsubishi kele machan....no offence...My persnol opininon is even the mitsubishi is not a very durable engine. wear very fast. ( have bad experience with 4D56 in particular)

Lot of people prefer to swap their old engines with the Nissan sd 22/23....series engines. Any idea as to why this is ??

cheers

Edited by lakshank

if you compare the 4DR6 with a 200 or 300 Tdi defender mitsubishi kele machan....no offence...My persnol opininon is even the mitsubishi is not a very durable engine. wear very fast. ( have bad experience with 4D56 in particular)

Lot of people prefer to swap their old engines with the Nissan sd 22/23....series engines. Any idea as to why this is ??

cheers

One must however not forget Lakshan that the 200 and 300 TDI was exactly the reason Land Rovers lost their market dominant position particularly in Australia

I think the 4DR6 Turbo is a pretty good engine, was even featured in the first editions of the "intercooler" model Pajeros and has a reputation for being quite reliable and hardy.

yeah I remember you mentioning this before.... I too have noticed that the mitsubishi is quite an unbelievably wild ride after you pass 40mph... and hits the limit of about 60-65mph without any issue.... always thought that the jeep could easily handle another additional higher gear..

I'm using a Mitsubishi Jeep with 4DR5-2 Engine. Usually I'm running it 85kmph easily without any issue. Another thing is its having unbelievably good torque.

One must however not forget Lakshan that the 200 and 300 TDI was exactly the reason Land Rovers lost their market dominant position particularly in Australia

I think the 4DR6 Turbo is a pretty good engine, was even featured in the first editions of the "intercooler" model Pajeros and has a reputation for being quite reliable and hardy.

I have no idea about the 200 and 300 TDI engine. But I agree with you regarding the Mitsubishi engine. 4DR6 is a pretty good and reliable engine. Also its a very simple engine which is very easy to troubleshoot in any matter.

Coming back to the Misubishi, if over sized wheels are used does it affect the Breaking System.

As I find that even the mud gaurds are croped a bit to accomodate the oversize tyres when turning etc.

Is this good practice? How will it affect the performance and is it SAFE???

Also I have seen FOUR shocks in the rear! Is this good and how will this EXTRA stuff affect this jeeb.

Satyajit.

Coming back to the Misubishi, if over sized wheels are used does it affect the Breaking System.

As I find that even the mud gaurds are croped a bit to accomodate the oversize tyres when turning etc.

Is this good practice? How will it affect the performance and is it SAFE???

Also I have seen FOUR shocks in the rear! Is this good and how will this EXTRA stuff affect this jeeb.

Satyajit.

not an expert but just thinking loud

Mud guards being cropped or wheel wells being made larger shouldn't affect safety that badly. If done properly i doubt you will face any problems with this...

Jeeps are normally not meant to be doing high speed runs so large wheels etc are all used for a different purpose - traction and that's about it. So a braking system supplemented with a good booster should keep you safe in most applications...

Four rear shocks are most probably put there so that the load a single shock takes while performing in tough situs is as low as possible. Maybe it's a cheaper to do that than buy very expensive heavy duty single shock absorber per wheel. Other than having to pay for four shocks at replacement times i doubt this will have a negative impact in driving.