• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4 X 4 Club?

satyajit

Hi BoyS!

Can u reccommend a 4 x 4 Club in Colombo for an enthusiastic beginner wz a 4DR5T.

I am looking for a genuine 4 x 4 club to exchange experiences/views and guide newcomers and hope the recommended club is NOT profit driven!!!!

Who r the good mechanics/workshops of repute that take care of Mitsubishi 4DR5T Jeeps?

Where should I keep extra attention on the 4DR5T:any week points to look into?

Any good 4X4 stores for accessories that dont ROB yr purse!!!

Who is good at doing-up/modifying the canvas tops of jeeps?

Any further advice to learn the ABC of 4X4 will always be WELCOME :jumping-smiley-013:!!!!!!!!!

ThanX.

Satyajit.

in regard to the canvas there's a guy in the horana town who sews these canvases... got ours done there. Cost 17,000 in 2004. you can choose the colour (there are 2 basic colours that are used in the original jeeps). The roof-canvas is also lined with a 2nd meterial to give a nice finish on the inside.

As for parts Willy's Trading (or is it Willies) in manchikawaththa have most of the smaller parts you'd need.. as for bigger parts like diffs transmissions and engines (even larger body parts), best would be to check out places like delkanda or kurunegala.

I'm not in the 4x4 scene that much, but as i'd know the clubs in SL arent that profit driven, and are normally managed by enthusiasts themselves..

As for accessories out-doorsman i think has a lot of parts, but if you keep an eye out on the papers etc u'll find occasional accessories going much cheaper.. we found a 5 foot high-rise for about Rs.6000 in the ##### about a year ago in kelaniya, the guy was mainly in the business of importing industrial equipment like heavy duty jacks, hoists, pulleys etc...

The 4DR5 is a fairly simple vehicle and we've found that most repairs are DIY jobs, cos there's ZERO electronics or high-tech stuff in it.. but there are always the possibility that some repairs will require some equipment that we dont normally have at home.

Btw, you were the one in the market for a BJ40 right? or am i mistaken? if you dont mind me asking why did you go for a Mitsubishi int he end?

in regard to the canvas there's a guy in the horana town who sews these canvases... got ours done there. Cost 17,000 in 2004. you can choose the colour (there are 2 basic colours that are used in the original jeeps). The roof-canvas is also lined with a 2nd meterial to give a nice finish on the inside.

As for parts Willy's Trading (or is it Willies) in manchikawaththa have most of the smaller parts you'd need.. as for bigger parts like diffs transmissions and engines (even larger body parts), best would be to check out places like delkanda or kurunegala.

I'm not in the 4x4 scene that much, but as i'd know the clubs in SL arent that profit driven, and are normally managed by enthusiasts themselves..

As for accessories out-doorsman i think has a lot of parts, but if you keep an eye out on the papers etc u'll find occasional accessories going much cheaper.. we found a 5 foot high-rise for about Rs.6000 in the ##### about a year ago in kelaniya, the guy was mainly in the business of importing industrial equipment like heavy duty jacks, hoists, pulleys etc...

The 4DR5 is a fairly simple vehicle and we've found that most repairs are DIY jobs, cos there's ZERO electronics or high-tech stuff in it.. but there are always the possibility that some repairs will require some equipment that we dont normally have at home.

Btw, you were the one in the market for a BJ40 right? or am i mistaken? if you dont mind me asking why did you go for a Mitsubishi int he end?

Hi,

ThanX for the info. How about the Horana canvas chaps contact details?

Yr right I was the one looking for the BJ40. Never saw a good BJ40 wz canvas top. Most were too...oo modified, like our women wz too.....oo much make up. Know what I mean, not very original. Why? u think I made a wrong choice!!!!

ThnanX.

Satyajit.

Hi BoyS!

Can u reccommend a 4 x 4 Club in Colombo for an enthusiastic beginner wz a 4DR5T.

I am looking for a genuine 4 x 4 club to exchange experiences/views and guide newcomers and hope the recommended club is NOT profit driven!!!!

Who r the good mechanics/workshops of repute that take care of Mitsubishi 4DR5T Jeeps?

Where should I keep extra attention on the 4DR5T:any week points to look into?

Any good 4X4 stores for accessories that dont ROB yr purse!!!

Who is good at doing-up/modifying the canvas tops of jeeps?

Any further advice to learn the ABC of 4X4 will always be WELCOME :jumping-smiley-013:!!!!!!!!!

ThanX.

Satyajit.

Could recommend Mangala at Buthgamuwa road. There are many things you have to take care of the structure. Not actually in the engine, in 4dr series, most of things are DIY jobs. Since the engine is simple as Dilesh said, you can easilly take care of the engine. However select a good mechanic and keep him for all repairs. Just ring me if need further info.

Could recommend Mangala at Buthgamuwa road. There are many things you have to take care of the structure. Not actually in the engine, in 4dr series, most of things are DIY jobs. Since the engine is simple as Dilesh said, you can easilly take care of the engine. However select a good mechanic and keep him for all repairs. Just ring me if need further info.

Hi Iroshana !!!

I have been trying to call u many a times but either it rings continuously or someone else answers!!! So call me & give me yr mobile no & try to keep in touch. My no is 077.3033419(IRS).

ThanX.

Satyajit. :angry-smiley-024:

give me a couple of days.. Cos we too went to the canvasing place with a friend who lived in the area, so didnt have the need to call him. I'll check with my friend and and let you know :)

I was just curious thats why i asked you if you were the one who was going for a BJ40.. i dont think there's one superior brand... different people prefer the Defender, 4DR5 and the BJ40 for different reasons and their own personal preference.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did the 4DR5 cost? and from your inquiries, i presume its a 'unmodified' specimen?

give me a couple of days.. Cos we too went to the canvasing place with a friend who lived in the area, so didnt have the need to call him. I'll check with my friend and and let you know :)

I was just curious thats why i asked you if you were the one who was going for a BJ40.. i dont think there's one superior brand... different people prefer the Defender, 4DR5 and the BJ40 for different reasons and their own personal preference.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did the 4DR5 cost? and from your inquiries, i presume its a 'unmodified' specimen?

I spent 1.5M. It seems to be well kept, at least to my mind. Not exactly original! It has over sizes tyres/ Prado front seats etc.

What do u think???? OK!!!

Satyajit.

I spent 1.5M. It seems to be well kept, at least to my mind. Not exactly original! It has over sizes tyres/ Prado front seats etc.

Satyajit.

Can anyone recommend a good engine oil plus Diff:oil, takeing into account that these are used Jeeps.

How about synthetics? Does it make a big difference, as it is expensive!!

Anything to look for in particular when takeing for a service, like grease points etc.

Satyajit.

Satyajit.

yeah, changing the seats is a must i admit. Cos the originals we had were unadjustable bench like seats. Replaced them with CR41 (or some toyota van) seats.. went for the didnt go for fabric seats cos its not very practical when off-roading.

Tyres being big is good in a way, but horrible in Colombo traffic due to the absence of P.Steering. I'm getting an awesome upper body workout these days because of that :D

If it hasnt got one, you might want to get yourself a servo :) takes a fair bit of stress out of the driving experience :D

As for the price i guess thats what its going at right (even in the AL classified)

Four Wheel Drive Club of Sri Lanka.

www.####

~sanjaya

Hi Sanjaya,

You will probably get a warning from AL admins as there is a policy prohibiting to promote any SL site through this forum.

I was also excited to see the 4x4 club site sometimes back. However they have not updated since December 2007. 

-GMI

Hi Sanjaya,

You will probably get a warning from AL admins as there is a policy prohibiting to promote any SL site through this forum.

I was also excited to see the 4x4 club site sometimes back. However they have not updated since December 2007. 

-GMI

I don't think so. #### has been mentioned on Autolanka in the past. Autolanka doesn't allow promoting websites with similar commercial interests, i.e.-advertising websites.

As for the updates, I'm assuming AnuradhaR must be extremely busy with work. Sanjaya might be able to comment on this.

Edited by madmax

yeah, changing the seats is a must i admit. Cos the originals we had were unadjustable bench like seats. Replaced them with CR41 (or some toyota van) seats.. went for the didnt go for fabric seats cos its not very practical when off-roading.

Tyres being big is good in a way, but horrible in Colombo traffic due to the absence of P.Steering. I'm getting an awesome upper body workout these days because of that :D

If it hasnt got one, you might want to get yourself a servo :) takes a fair bit of stress out of the driving experience :D

As for the price i guess thats what its going at right (even in the AL classified)

Hi Satyajit,

would you mind posing some pics of your new jeep here...

-GMI

I don't think so. #### has been mentioned on Autolanka in the past. Autolanka doesn't allow promoting websites with similar commercial interests, i.e.-advertising websites.

i got a warning for putting a popular non-commercial SL motoring club site address in an AL forum...

Edited by GMI