• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pc Upgrade

AMG

Hi Guys,

I think this is the time to assemble a new PC for me.

Please advice me to buy the good brand and model in the market and main reason for this topic is WHERE I can buy.

I know there are hell of a lot shops out there but I want the place where I can buy the good stuff and problem free warranty. I don't mind paying few more thousands for the good stuff and service.

Processor - Pentium (Suggest me the good model and speed)

Main Board – Asus (Suggest me the good model)

HDD 160GB or more - (Suggest me the reliable brand)

Memory - (Suggest me the good brand)

All I need is the reliable brands and the place where I can buy them with genuine warranty.

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

Edited by Bharath

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest rather than assemble it yourself, get it from a reputed place, who give the now almost standard 3yr warrenty... that way you wont be in a fix, if one part gets messed up and you replace it, only to find out the problem was something else...

Places like Ne@t, PCh**e, Bar***ys would be ok i'd say, The PC at our house was from Neat, cos the price was good and since neat's repairs are done in their new place near roxy you dont have to worry about parking hassles in the Unity Plaza area. (which was the main reason why my father decided to goto NE@T)

As for a 'branded machine' i dont think the 'brand' is that significant these days in SL.... (at least from what i see/hear), plus branded ones are on the expensive side too..

If you go locally-assembled, you can customize each component (with the higher quality ones if you want) the way you want it (software too). Normally if you place the order in the morning, you can collect the machine in the evening... But make sure to get a 3yr warranty!

I think Fuzzo should be able to help you out too.....

Hi Guys,

Please advice me to buy the good brand and model in the market and main reason for this topic is WHERE I can buy.

I know there are hell of a lot shops out there but I want the place where I can buy the good stuff and problem free warranty. I don't mind paying few more thousands for the good stuff and service.

Main Board – Athlon (Suggest me the good model)

All I need is the reliable brands and the place where I can buy them with genuine warranty.

Whats ur budget? What is it for? Gaming, Designing, Home use....

Here in SL Intel is more populer dan AMD (whole Toyota concept) :action-smiley-060:

Main Board - Intel, Foxconn, Asus....

HDD - WD, Seagate....Samsung,Hitachi...

Memory - Kingston

Most shops give 3yr warranty for Processor/MB/RAM n 2yrs for HDD....

There are some reputed shops. Mods is it ok to post names of the shops?

I suggest rather than assemble it yourself, get it from a reputed place, who give the now almost standard 3yr warrenty... that way you wont be in a fix, if one part gets messed up and you replace it, only to find out the problem was something else...

Places like Ne@t, PCh**e, Bar***ys would be ok i'd say, The PC at our house was from Neat, cos the price was good and since neat's repairs are done in their new place near roxy you dont have to worry about parking hassles in the Unity Plaza area. (which was the main reason why my father decided to goto NE@T)

As for a 'branded machine' i dont think the 'brand' is that significant these days in SL.... (at least from what i see/hear), plus branded ones are on the expensive side too..

If you go locally-assembled, you can customize each component (with the higher quality ones if you want) the way you want it (software too). Normally if you place the order in the morning, you can collect the machine in the evening... But make sure to get a 3yr warranty!

I think Fuzzo should be able to help you out too.....

I agree with you Dilesh. The main reason why I am going to assemble my self is I already have some components like 500W power supply, internal optical drive etc..which I brought from abroad and can be used. The other reason is If I assemble it my self I can always remove the casing and change the components if I want. If I bought an assembled PC I can't open the casing as it will normally be sealed with a sticker or something and if its removed I will lose the warranty. Even my current PC also assembled by me two years back. All I want is Main board, Processor, HDD and Memory. I got the rest.

Whats ur budget? What is it for? Gaming, Designing, Home use....

Here in SL Intel is more populer dan AMD (whole Toyota concept) :action-smiley-060:

Main Board - Intel, Foxconn, Asus....

HDD - WD, Seagate....Samsung,Hitachi...

Memory - Kingston

Most shops give 3yr warranty for Processor/MB/RAM n 2yrs for HDD....

There are some reputed shops. Mods is it ok to post names of the shops?

Its for home use machan. I am not really into Heavy gaming or designing scene. Just an average.

I am looking for Pentium and Asus board. Which is the reliable hard drive from your list? I have always been using Maxter.

Edited by Bharath

Its for home use machan. I am not really into Heavy gaming or designing scene. Just an average.

I am looking for Pentium and Asus board. Which is the reliable hard drive from your list? I have always been using Maxter.

Since its for home use n u r looking for reliability I rekon intel MB over asus. Lil expensive but better support...

Yes Maxtor is a well known brand n it is reliable of course if u use it well.

Since its for home use n u r looking for reliability I rekon intel MB over asus. Lil expensive but better support...

Yes Maxtor is a well known brand n it is reliable of course if u use it well.

Where Can I buy intel MB?

Is maxter available here in sl? Mine is working well but I know he is really tired, so hoping to give him retirement...lol..

Where Can I buy intel MB?

Is maxter available here in sl? Mine is working well but I know he is really tired, so hoping to give him retirement...lol..

If you have Fuzzo's number, give him a call. Make the bugger do some work instead of icing all day :D

If you have Fuzzo's number, give him a call. Make the bugger do some work instead of icing all day :D

Got his number from FB and called him. Thanks Peri.

Hi Guys,

Friend. Don't buy assemble pc. Try to buy Branded DELL, HP or (IBM better DELL) pc. Its reliable and will protect your data also your time. Im now 10 years in the IT field. I have more experience with assemble PC and branded pc. You can’t compare performance with assemble and branded Pc.

Assemble pc items import from Singapore mostly rejected or second quality items.

Now there are USA used PCs selling in sri lanka. They are better because they manufactured for US market. If your budget not suitable to buy branded brand new pc try to find USA, Australia, UK USED DELL pc. 100% guaranteed than assemble PC..

Also Don’t buy anything from PC house. Difficult to take warranty replacement from them. Barclays, NEAT OK

Edited by Nilantha

Hi Guys,

I'll just give you a few pointers which might help you,

1. Do not user mother boards with an SiS chipset if you are using an intel processor. I've found that certain mixtures do not work very well and cause constant crashes etc. One such combination is Sis + Intel + Nvidia GForce Graphics cards.

2. Foxconn, Gigabyte, Asus, Msi all these motherboards are quite good and should be quite realiable.

3. If using an AMD processor get a motherboard with the NVidia chipset.

4. Maxtor HDD's seem to fare better in SL than any other brand, but if you are using your computer in an air conditioned environment the brand does not seem to make much difference.

5. Always but branded memory rather than generic memory, Eg. Micron, Kingston, Crucial and the list goes on

6. When it comes to warranties try to buy things at the source. Eg. Asus at Epsi etc which makes making warranty claims easier.

A small point about branded PC's. Dells in particular have less compatibility issues as they are bob standard generic designs (there is very little innovation in Dell systems !) but nearly all Dells in the world are now made in China so I do not think there is a build quality argument. People over here buy Dell because its value for money, and no other reason. But in my personal experience a well thought of assembled PC made using quality components will always out perform a so called bob standard branded PC !. What you get with the branded PC is support which is important to some people.

So weigh up your options well !.

NIlantha,

I agree a branded CPU would be much better, but considering the price difference between a branded and assembled machine justifies the price premium.

As for most assembled PCs being of lower quality due to being rejected or from Singapore, i personally dont agree. Unlike a garment where u can have bad stitching or torn pockets, its very unlikely that there are 2nd grade components as such. Unlike most types of items that DO have rejects (which are purely due to human error) i dont think computer parts have that many. Its not like a computerized machine that welds/cuts/moulds semiconductors etc make mistakes that often.

buying used branded machines is also useless in a way. For a CPU to be put out of commission, it would have to break or become obsolete which would take at leats 2 years, so basically you're getting a machine thats been used for lord knows under what conditions. And chances are mechanical components such as HDDs CD/DVD roms and writers would be prone to dying on you.

And I dont know how valid the performance comparison is. After all its not like Dell (though i am a die hard Dell fan) makes their own processors/ram (not sure about MBs though).. they are gonna be some brand like Intel or AMD (just as you would get on an assembled machine)..

And as barath is i need of only a few components he should be better off buying a the components he's missing...

Btw, bharath though a locally assembled machine has a sticker, in most cases they are ok with you opening the casing.. once i had a loose wire touching the cooling fan (and making an annoying noise) and i called Ne@t up and they said it was OK remove it and just rectify the issue myself...

I'll just give you a few pointers which might help you,

1. Do not user mother boards with an SiS chipset if you are using an intel processor. I've found that certain mixtures do not work very well and cause constant crashes etc. One such combination is Sis + Intel + Nvidia GForce Graphics cards.

2. Foxconn, Gigabyte, Asus, Msi all these motherboards are quite good and should be quite realiable.

3. If using an AMD processor get a motherboard with the NVidia chipset.

4. Maxtor HDD's seem to fare better in SL than any other brand, but if you are using your computer in an air conditioned environment the brand does not seem to make much difference.

5. Always but branded memory rather than generic memory, Eg. Micron, Kingston, Crucial and the list goes on

6. When it comes to warranties try to buy things at the source. Eg. Asus at Epsi etc which makes making warranty claims easier.

A small point about branded PC's. Dells in particular have less compatibility issues as they are bob standard generic designs (there is very little innovation in Dell systems !) but nearly all Dells in the world are now made in China so I do not think there is a build quality argument. People over here buy Dell because its value for money, and no other reason. But in my personal experience a well thought of assembled PC made using quality components will always out perform a so called bob standard branded PC !. What you get with the branded PC is support which is important to some people.

So weigh up your options well !.

Also VIA chipsets are not gud, When it comes to performance the Best Ram is Corsair, I personally think Intel-NForce-Geforce-Corsair is the best combination and i only use Gibabyte Mainboards with IBM Hitachi Hard Disks, and i have used more than 20 Different type computers so from my experieance Even Those highly recomended Manufactures make some useless products, as a Example one of the Most Expnsive main board is GA-8PENXP but its a shit but thosedays it cost 25

Also do some reserch on the net and read some reviews abt the products u goin to buy

www.guru3d.com

NIlantha,

I agree a branded CPU would be much better, but considering the price difference between a branded and assembled machine justifies the price premium.

As for most assembled PCs being of lower quality due to being rejected or from Singapore, i personally dont agree. Unlike a garment where u can have bad stitching or torn pockets, its very unlikely that there are 2nd grade components as such. Unlike most types of items that DO have rejects (which are purely due to human error) i dont think computer parts have that many. Its not like a computerized machine that welds/cuts/moulds semiconductors etc make mistakes that often.

buying used branded machines is also useless in a way. For a CPU to be put out of commission, it would have to break or become obsolete which would take at leats 2 years, so basically you're getting a machine thats been used for lord knows under what conditions. And chances are mechanical components such as HDDs CD/DVD roms and writers would be prone to dying on you.

And I dont know how valid the performance comparison is. After all its not like Dell (though i am a die hard Dell fan) makes their own processors/ram (not sure about MBs though).. they are gonna be some brand like Intel or AMD (just as you would get on an assembled machine)..

100% agree with you. I will never go for a branded one. I always trust and enjoy the assembled ones as you can play with them by changing the stuff and all. As long as you can find the genuine and reliable components to assemble it.

Thank you very much for all of you for the advice and ideas guys. Much appreciated. Thanks.

If u really worry about the availability of data I suggest u Intel DG965WH motherboard with raid support. U need 2 buy 2 hard disks for this function. If 1 HDD fails u still have data in the other. Since I'm using this with raid there's no issue what so ever n its a media series. Drivers n updates n support is the best compairing with other leading brands.

Yes branded PC's r good but compared with price n preformance ratio I would go for assembled. Bulding a perfect PC is sort of an art, u have to get everythin matched in a perfect manner n u'll get a pc thats rock solid n beat the crap out of Branded.

Intels can be bought directly through the agents, so no hassle with warranty and the agents r kinda good too. Anyways below is my config....

Intel D965WH Motherboard

Intel E6320 Processor 1.86 4MB L2

Kingston 4 x 1GB/667 Memory

2 x 80 GB SATA II HDD

Try buying the above for less than 60K(last year) for a branded.

Let me know where u pick up ur stuff from. My CPU has shut off after a "Thermal Event". AKA overheated after idling for a couple of minutes and with the fans running! I'll pop it into the shop and see if reseating the heatsink will cure it, otherwise, I'll need a CPU myself.

Let me know where u pick up ur stuff from. My CPU has shut off after a "Thermal Event". AKA overheated after idling for a couple of minutes and with the fans running! I'll pop it into the shop and see if reseating the heatsink will cure it, otherwise, I'll need a CPU myself.

E6600 available in Bar***ys and cost Rs15,350.00 Check...

I think you can get a good deal from the bugger who sells refrigerators to Eskimos.

If u really worry about the availability of data I suggest u Intel DG965WH motherboard with raid support. U need 2 buy 2 hard disks for this function. If 1 HDD fails u still have data in the other. Since I'm using this with raid there's no issue what so ever n its a media series. Drivers n updates n support is the best compairing with other leading brands.

Yes branded PC's r good but compared with price n preformance ratio I would go for assembled. Bulding a perfect PC is sort of an art, u have to get everythin matched in a perfect manner n u'll get a pc thats rock solid n beat the crap out of Branded.

Intels can be bought directly through the agents, so no hassle with warranty and the agents r kinda good too. Anyways below is my config....

Intel D965WH Motherboard

Intel E6320 Processor 1.86 4MB L2

Kingston 4 x 1GB/667 Memory

2 x 80 GB SATA II HDD

Try buying the above for less than 60K(last year) for a branded.

Thank you for the info machan. I agree that a good combination of components will rock and the branded PCs can't stand with it.

I think you can get a good deal from the bugger who sells refrigerators to Eskimos.

I'll be checking with him too :) He the one who sourced my current one a couple of years ago too.

And I need to pull up the warranty and see if I'm still covered too :)

Im not sure abt their Price cus it says 2.13 E6400 is 24,450 but 2.4 E6600 is 15,350 both Core 2 Duo with 1066FSB, LGA775,, BUT E6600 has 4Mb Cache and Barcl*** site say it has 2MB :unsure: so im not sure abt the E6600 they have, Original E6400 has 2Mb and E6600 has 4Mb

Edited by GihanFX