• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A/c Cooling Problem

monty

Question

Hi Guys!

The cooling power of my A/C doesn't seem to be as effective as it was couple of days back. The cooling (as felt by holding my hand against the fan) is quite strong as soon as I switch on the A/C but dies off in quick time and I hardly feel the cool thereafter. I'm planning to take it to an A/C joint in the next couple of days and need some advice from you guys before hand so that I will not fall pray.

1) Could this be a case where I have run out of gas due to a leak or will it be required to clean any kind of a filter that might have frozen up?

2) Is there a so called "best gas" to use for optimum cooling power ?

3) What steps are carried out in a normal A/C service job?

4) Any good places that you guys recommend that will do a solid job without hitting hard on my wallet?

Thanks guys !

monty :jumping-smiley-013:

7 answers to this question

1- i am also baffled here, normally the cooling is lower as soon as you start and then it increases, but this is the other way around.. hmm.. anyone got an idea?

2-there is no 'best' gas as i know. if your vehicle is an older one it probably runs on CFC, but with the whole o-zone issue newer ones use a non-CFC gas, which is more expensive. besides these two types, i doubt there's anything thats better than the other.

3-not quite sure, but i think they clean/flush the two coolers, clean the lines, and any filters (if any) and refill the gas

4- We goto a place opposite the kohuwala cemetery, there's a narrow gravel path that goes leads to the joint. SAS auto AirCon i think the name of the place. They're quite good and reasonable on prices, and once you're a regular they treat u pretty well.. We had once given our car for another (non-AC) repair to another place and a mommy-rat had decided to make the AC her new home for the babies and as expected the fellows had died in there... hehehee (yeah imagine the smell once the AC was on).. removing them was maybe a 2-3 hour process and the bill, NOTHING. yeah, the owner was like, no its ok, just give the technician something for the trouble. had lots of such small repairs done there also like belt replacements tightenings. And haven't had any complaints about their quality of work too! its a safe place and you dont have to think twice about leaving the vehicle behind even overnight..

PS: do a google search on AL search and you'll find a lot of other recommendations by other members.

Edited by Dilesh

I think you need an aircon service. There is a popular place called 'Modernair' aka A/C Perera on Kandy road, Keleniya. It's about a km after the new Fly Over and on your right side when you heading to Kandy. Very experienced guys. Guaranteed work.

The place which Dilesh mentioned also sounds good. Where are you based?

Dilesh / Bharath..Thanks a lot guys !....I'm more literate on the matter now :action-smiley-060: I'll checkout the places.

monty :jumping-smiley-013:

You are more than Welcome mate. All the best.

Edited by Bharath

Guys i know a place which does great work , recently even i repaired my whole a/c problem with this gye. actually u can see my thread i publish wen i was having my A/C problem. it sorted well now. now its chill.

this gye located in piliyandala- katubadda campus road near "ABA-SEVENA" more towards piliyanda.

the best price u can get .. i gurentee,

chek if u can..

i replaced my cooling coil and did some repairs and re gassed for economical price. :rolleyes:

From ur discription I assume that you have a vehicle with a transverse engine with electrical cooling fan for the A/c condensor. From the symptoms you have mentioned I suspect that the a/c condensor cooling fan is not working. get the engine cooling system (electrical fans) looked at as the same fan/s are used to cool the radiator as well.

So,

the problem you are experiencing is a gradual build up of heat in the condensor of your a/c system causing lopwering of cooling inside the car.

Or , as another poster said the evaporator is freezing up as the compressor is not cutting off when the evaporator reaches near 0'c.

I have seen many places who do A/C jobs and have reasonable charges. but the customer is left sweating like melting ice in a traffic jam somewhere in Colombo cursing the gaskets off the repair guy.