• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Jeep Commander

viking

The Jeep Commander is a well engineered luxury SUV by Daimler Chrysler. I am quite suprised it has not become popular in Sri Lanka. Have only seen one on the road and the one that is displayed at the agents (D*M*) down Duplication road. (R A De Mel Mv). This comes with a powerful Diesel engine that puts out a massive torque of 510 NM @ 1600 - 2800 rpm which is even higher than the legendary Chrysler 5.7 L HEMI engine that generates 500 NM @ 4000 rpm. It has the same Mercedes engineering reliability and refinements and a brutal look similar to that of the Hummer H2. Brabus has a division called Startech www.startech.de that tunes Chrysler Jeep. Unfortunately the ever increasing oil prices are driving most of the American manufacturers to cut down their production lines for these SUV's. General Motors (GM) is closing down 4 plants that were producing Hummers. About 17,000 people will lose their jobs in USA by 2010 as a result. So does this mean electric scooters will be the dream machines of the future?

www.startech.de

The Jeep Commander is a well engineered luxury SUV by Daimler Chrysler.

I don't think you can even use "well engineered" and a name of an American vehicle in the same sentence. They are the biggest pieces of junk in the form of vehicles. Recently my friend hurt his ankle by hitting it against the dashboard of a very famous American muscle car because the plastic was so cheap, hard with sharp edges! :action-smiley-060: And that car still uses a rear rigid axle. Only bullock carts use rigid axles in other parts of the world

Edited by madmax

The Jeep Commander is a well engineered luxury SUV by Daimler Chrysler. I am quite suprised it has not become popular in Sri Lanka. Have only seen one on the road and the one that is displayed at the agents (D*M*) down Duplication road. (R A De Mel Mv). This comes with a powerful Diesel engine that puts out a massive torque of 510 NM @ 1600 - 2800 rpm which is even higher than the legendary Chrysler 5.7 L HEMI engine that generates 500 NM @ 4000 rpm. It has the same Mercedes engineering reliability and refinements and a brutal look similar to that of the Hummer H2. Brabus has a division called Startech www.startech.de that tunes Chrysler Jeep. Unfortunately the ever increasing oil prices are driving most of the American manufacturers to cut down their production lines for these SUV's. General Motors (GM) is closing down 4 plants that were producing Hummers. About 17,000 people will lose their jobs in USA by 2010 as a result. So does this mean electric scooters will be the dream machines of the future?

www.startech.de

You are? Have you taken a peek at the price tag?

I don't think you can even use "well engineered" and a name of an American vehicle in the same sentence. They are the biggest pieces of junk in the form of vehicles. Recently my friend hurt his ankle by hitting it against the dashboard of a very famous American muscle car because the plastic was so cheap, hard with sharp edges! :action-smiley-060: And that car still uses a rear rigid axle. Only bullock carts use rigid axles in other parts of the world

oh i dunno.... the Daimler Benz connection meant that engineering wise the current Jeep lineup is pretty reasonable. Granted, not a patch on things like Merc MLs and BMW X5s, but for the money they arent too bad.. even at the ridiculous price they charge for them here.

and yes, I am slightly biased :)

General Motors (GM) is closing down 4 plants that were producing Hummers. About 17,000 people will lose their jobs in USA by 2010 as a result. So does this mean electric scooters will be the dream machines of the future?

www.startech.de

GM is haveing 2nd thoughts on Hummers. Whether to keep it or sell it off....

I quite dissagree with you. I don't think any body should say American engineering is inferior to any other technology unless you are biased on a personal level. It's true the Ferrari did not come from America, but I personally love American muscle cars. If you look around you will find out how many modern SUV's use rear rigid axels. In terms of reliability for a large 4x4 not coming from a Japanese manufacturer Jeep has done a good job especially in the recent lineup that came after it became Daimler-Chrysler. For some one who is looking for a large SUV outside the Jap brands, the X5 and the ML are not going to deliver that road presence and dimensions.

oh i dunno.... the Daimler Benz connection meant that engineering wise the current Jeep lineup is pretty reasonable. Granted, not a patch on things like Merc MLs and BMW X5s, but for the money they arent too bad.. even at the ridiculous price they charge for them here.

and yes, I am slightly biased :)

My dear friend, if you take in to account the fact you can buy a used Hummer H2 for around $ 35,000 or less in US that is costing over 20 million rupees in SL clearly highlights the import duty and taxes nightmare sri lanks are facing... :)

My dear friend, if you take in to account the fact you can buy a used Hummer H2 for around $ 35,000 or less in US that is costing over 20 million rupees in SL clearly highlights the import duty and taxes nightmare sri lanks are facing... :)

uh, doesn't this post of yours kinda answer your own question on why it isn't popular in SL?

Recently my friend hurt his ankle by hitting it against the dashboard of a very famous American muscle car because the plastic was so cheap, hard with sharp edges!

i too can vouch for that fact - the last time i stepped into a Wrangler i got out with a lightly bruised right knee and a cut/scrape on my left hand courtesy some crudely crafted plastic bits surrounding the gear lever assembly! :mellow:

From October 5 2007 Daimler Chrysler is no more

its now Chrysler LLC and Daimler AG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DaimlerChrysler

So I'm not sure about German input in the current range of Chrysler vehicles

As for the Hummer, apart from the image, the civilian version of the vehicle is not really the most capable off roader, so most people buy it for the image factor. Recently they were tested for what I believe is the RNLI (The coast guard rescue in the UK) and proved to be no match to the Defender 110 when it comes to off road ability and practical use (The defender has more storage space !! apart from performing better in rough terrain)

The miserable fuel efficiency does not help as well I guess.

Edited by The Don

I quite dissagree with you. I don't think any body should say American engineering is inferior to any other technology unless you are biased on a personal level.

It's true the Ferrari did not come from America, but I personally love American muscle cars.

If you look around you will find out how many modern SUV's use rear rigid axels.

In terms of reliability for a large 4x4 not coming from a Japanese manufacturer Jeep has done a good job especially in the recent lineup that came after it became Daimler-Chrysler.

For some one who is looking for a large SUV outside the Jap brands, the X5 and the ML are not going to deliver that road presence and dimensions.

Your love for American Muscle cars - THAT is a personal bias,

a statement regarding the use of archaic technology in modern day american cars - THAT if just plain Fact!

from Push Rods to Live axles - the only reason the American automakers use these bits from yesteryear is cuz they are simple and cheap!

.....&as for Dailmer Chrysler.....well thatassociation has long since changed...

ask Cerberus Capital Management about how they make cars

uh, doesn't this post of yours kinda answer your own question on why it isn't popular in SL?

Ha ha... yes, you are correct in a way.... but the fact is even with the high taxes SL has been living the in the biggest car chapter in it's history in the recent years.... and by looking at the vehicles driven around.... price seem to have no effect on affordability for some.... so the most expensive car in the world can be a common sight in SL... :D

As for the Hummer, apart from the image, the civilian version of the vehicle is not really the most capable off roader, so most people buy it for the image factor. Recently they were tested for what I believe is the RNLI (The coast guard rescue in the UK) and proved to be no match to the Defender 110 when it comes to off road ability and practical use (The defender has more storage space !! apart from performing better in rough terrain)

The miserable fuel efficiency does not help as well I guess.

i believe this is one such review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkxpoaUkeA

Your love for American Muscle cars - THAT is a personal bias,

a statement regarding the use of archaic technology in modern day american cars - THAT if just plain Fact!

from Push Rods to Live axles - the only reason the American automakers use these bits from yesteryear is cuz they are simple and cheap!

.....&as for Dailmer Chrysler.....well thatassociation has long since changed...

ask Cerberus Capital Management about how they make cars

Mate,... I don't understand why you try so hard to point out things to my disadvantage when all I wanted was to share some enthusiasm on a car? It would be just nice to share some good motoring enthusiasm rather than making it a point to argue and offend people. So who are the best makers of your kind of brillient cars?

Mate,... I don't understand why you try so hard to point out things to my disadvantage when all I wanted was to share some enthusiasm on a car? It would be just nice to share some good motoring enthusiasm rather than making it a point to argue and offend people. So who are the best makers of your kind of brillient cars?

Viking, Everybody has their own preferences and biases. So don't take things personally. Your enthusiasm and willingness to share information is appreciated. Other people will always point out if there are factual inaccuracies and you should not really dwell too much on it.

I do not think anybody meant any offence.

The X5 is probably a superior all round SUV compared to the hummer. BMW had the benefit of owning Land Rover at the time and applied a lot of their expertise in to their own SUV.

Also when it comes to proper 4x4's or SUV's dimension do not matter, and at times its better to have a slightly smaller vehicle allowing you to get through certain barriers.

i meant no offence to you in any way Viking : My apologies if i came off sounding like i did - as Don noted , it was merely a case of pointing out facts

dude, chill not everyone on this forum has identical preferences or has the exact same knowledge. If we all did it'd be dam boring i must say :D no-one to ask a question, no-one to get an opinion from or anything. someone would say something and everyone else will be like "yeah yeah yeah"...

hehehee!

anyway i see you're new to the forum, so why dont you go through some of the many threads and see how many friendly disputes have happened.. hell, open a thread and ask "what's the best car for XXXX/= rupees" and you'll see AL at its best in giving their own preferences and opinions on all available makes/models.... Imagine if we were all identical white toyota corolla 121 G-grades drivers, then we'll just tell you to go buy a white 121 G-grade too.. (no reason for choosing a 121, its the 1st car that came to mind).. how 'interesting' would a world full of white 121s (or just N16s, or EG8s) be?

what else can i say, enjoy the diversity of knowledge that AL has to offer rather than trying to find people who simply agree with you!

If you look around you will find out how many modern SUV's use rear rigid axels. In terms of reliability for a large 4x4 not coming from a Japanese manufacturer Jeep has done a good job especially in the recent lineup that came after it became Daimler-Chrysler.

I mentioned it was a American muscle car not an SUV. I know my facts enough to understand that rugged SUVs should have a rigid axle. I'm talking about the most recent incarnation of the Mustang. That has a live axle.

Also keep in my Daimler Chrysler is German, it is with the lent technology from Mercedes that Jeep did good.

PS: As much as you're biased towards American cars, I hate them coz I have to endure seeing how crappy they are on an every day basis.

Edited by madmax

I've been in a Commander as a passenger and the interior is nothing special at all - design, texture of materials used all feel cheap. At that price the buyer has all the right to expect better. And to my eyes it looks a horror. I'd choose a Disco 3 over it any day if I can't afford a RR.

I've been in a Commander as a passenger and the interior is nothing special at all - design, texture of materials used all feel cheap. At that price the buyer has all the right to expect better. And to my eyes it looks a horror. I'd choose a Disco 3 over it any day if I can't afford a RR.

Yes... about the looks of the Commander I agree with you, it's like a Rottweiler dog, you either appreciate it's extreme looks or simply hate even to look at it.

Disco 3 and the RR are both lovely cars, RR being the more desirable and also the more dearer one. But the LR reliability issues are still not sorted even in these new models. Whereas the Jeep Commander has no known reliability issues. Anyway... who cares much about reliability when you have a RR.

The Jeep Commander is more of a daily runner. A reliable work horse with some extreme looks and some attitude. Once again... it's not for every body....

D I V E R S I T Y :)

Also keep in my Daimler Chrysler is German, it is with the lent technology from Mercedes that Jeep did good.

PS: As much as you're biased towards American cars, I hate them coz I have to endure seeing how crappy they are on an every day basis.

MAD, You are correct on the German treatment. The new 6 cylinder (V6) CRD engine used in the Jeep Commander is Mercedes sourced and is a very smooth performer. Because of the Daimler Chrysler venture, the engine is a current series MB engine.

And I do agree that not all American cars are good. But for people outside the US, these Yank Tanks (Large American SUV's) are an interesting sight and are head turners on the road.

i didn't want to explicitely state what my preference was , but since you mentioned those two names , i'll nod vehemently in agreement! :lol:

i didn't want to explicitely state what my preference was , but since you mentioned those two names , i'll nod vehemently in agreement! :lol:

just to put a cap on the enthusiasm I'd like to point out that when we were SUV hunting last year, the commander cost 13.5 million, while the Disco 3 was just north of 18... and the RR at somewhere north of 22... with THAT kind of gulf, I wouldnt say the commander is an automatic write off...

Yes... about the looks of the Commander I agree with you, it's like a Rottweiler dog, you either appreciate it's extreme looks or simply hate even to look at it.

Disco 3 and the RR are both lovely cars, RR being the more desirable and also the more dearer one. But the LR reliability issues are still not sorted even in these new models. Whereas the Jeep Commander has no known reliability issues. Anyway... who cares much about reliability when you have a RR.

The Jeep Commander is more of a daily runner. A reliable work horse with some extreme looks and some attitude. Once again... it's not for every body....

D I V E R S I T Y :)

I'd take the Rottweiler over the Commander anytime :D ! The Commander simply does not look visually balanced - nothing extreme except its extremely ugly to my eyes. The Grand Cherokee looks better IMHO.

Did not know about the LR reliability issues, I'm surprised as Jaguar have been rated so high on reliabity surveys recently and they share quite a bit common parts.

In SL none of these can be ever considered a work horse when you check the fuel consumption. The guy who owns it complains that its worse that all the other cars he's owned - dropping down to very low single digits often. And he's had quite a few big engined cars.

"... it's not for every body.... " - I can only say it should've been for many considering Chryslers financial plight.