• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Swap For Land Rover Seris 3

S III upul

No point telling them machang. As per Don he should have gone for a Japanese vehicle if he is looking to keep his project cheap.

But must say something about the TD27 unit, it will haul so big loads like a lorry but I doubt whether it'll have the road performance. This is after driving my cousins double cab (2WD) with the Td27 engine, found it to be very lethargic when I tried to put it through its paces when returning from Minneriya had so much trouble overtaking vehicles on the straights all though changing I did change the gears to get more torque and power. So I believe he should have been well off with a turbo engine if he needs that sorta power to go fast on the road.

Machang Upul small advise, the Land Rovers will take the power of the engine that you put in and even more, but always do remember that Land Rovers were not vehicles built for speed these are workhorses and they are more at home in farms, in the wilderness and off the beaten track and not pretty much on the road. Also do keep in mind that my manager had a Defender 90 running with a Toyota Turbo engine coupled to a Land Rover Gearbox and the vehicle was very sluggish although the power was apparent and the old 12J engined Land Rovers used to make him eat their dust when he went on long journeys.

All Land Rover engines had there own faults as company says. installing turbo to a n/a engine is reduce engine life, they says. finally its not original as you all try to maintain............................?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your going to use an LT77 G/B , why not use a 12J or if you insist on having a turbo a 19J ?

[/quot

All Land Rover engines had there own faults as company says. installing turbo to a n/a engine is reduce engine life, they says. finally its not original as you all try to maintain............................?

The 19J is an original Land Rover Turbo charged unit which was designed to replace the normally aspirated 12J 2.5L engine

The 19J is an original Land Rover Turbo charged unit which was designed to replace the normally aspirated 12J 2.5L engine

I have another very relevant question

Is it possible to re build a Land Rover engine to a quality level exceeding factory spec.

I mean these engines have been around for a while so people must have by now figured out the design flaws and quality issues that caused problems in the first place. But are there components in place which you can use to correct these problems and make these vehicles more like the ones Land Rovers are meant to be.

You know one of the problems is the British car buying public are a very forgiving bunch. If they did not excusing Rover for their obvious quality problems these problems would have gotten fixed a loong time ago (might never have come about)! I mean if you try that in Japan you would have gone out of business within the week !. Cos it was never British Engineering which was the problem but British Quality Control !.

I have another very relevant question

Is it possible to re build a Land Rover engine to a quality level exceeding factory spec.

I mean these engines have been around for a while so people must have by now figured out the design flaws and quality issues that caused problems in the first place. But are there components in place which you can use to correct these problems and make these vehicles more like the ones Land Rovers are meant to be.

You know one of the problems is the British car buying public are a very forgiving bunch. If they did not excusing Rover for their obvious quality problems these problems would have gotten fixed a loong time ago (might never have come about)! I mean if you try that in Japan you would have gone out of business within the week !. Cos it was never British Engineering which was the problem but British Quality Control !.

well one alternative in terms of engines specifically would be something along the lines of the 2.8L Tdi POWER STROKE which is based on a 300Tdi

http://www.landyonline.co.za/workshop/inte...ional28lhs.html

When it comes to rebuilding existing LR units i don't know if there is anything that can be done specifically...

there are little design improvements such as the bolting in of the glow plugs to stop them from falling onto the pistons on the 12J's in extreme conditions out here in the tropics, which LR experts in SL have come up with...

& as for aftermarket products , the use of new materialise such as Polyurethane have led to the evolution of replacement components in LR's , where "Polybush" is now widely accepted as the ideal supplier of suspension bushes for LR's...

sometimes i feel as though its just that the parts that LR's use have considerabally lesser life times compared to the Japanese components - so what is pinned as a realibility issue is sometimes just a case where the original equipment itself gives out or rather wears out in a shorter period of time - as with most things , this feeling/judgement is relative , so the long life spans of the Japanese products tend to apmlify the issue & show the LR's in a bad light

what i've realized is that after a proper rebuild and lots of preventive maintainence most of the realiability issues can be quelled

at the end of the day you yet have to be patient and fix things one by one - after some time you manage to set things up to just the right level - i don't think there is an across the board standard when it comes to LR's - each one truly is different , so the 'rest to factory spec' system of Jap vehicles just doesn't fly

ultimately the best combination for running a relatively trouble free LR is to , as you right suggested Don, is to get a hold of some of those componenets which have been improved and finding the right balance for what works in each specific case - a vast majority of the time , LR niggles tend to be vehicle specific , so its all a play it by scene where every vehicle is best tuned and perefected to be the best it can be , by looking as things on a case by case basis.

well one alternative in terms of engines specifically would be something along the lines of the 2.8L Tdi POWER STROKE which is based on a 300Tdi

http://www.landyonline.co.za/workshop/inte...ional28lhs.html

When it comes to rebuilding existing LR units i don't know if there is anything that can be done specifically...

there are little design improvements such as the bolting in of the glow plugs to stop them from falling onto the pistons on the 12J's in extreme conditions out here in the tropics, which LR experts in SL have come up with...

& as for aftermarket products , the use of new materialise such as Polyurethane have led to the evolution of replacement components in LR's , where "Polybush" is now widely accepted as the ideal supplier of suspension bushes for LR's...

sometimes i feel as though its just that the parts that LR's use have considerabally lesser life times compared to the Japanese components - so what is pinned as a realibility issue is sometimes just a case where the original equipment itself gives out or rather wears out in a shorter period of time - as with most things , this feeling/judgement is relative , so the long life spans of the Japanese products tend to apmlify the issue & show the LR's in a bad light

what i've realized is that after a proper rebuild and lots of preventive maintainence most of the realiability issues can be quelled

at the end of the day you yet have to be patient and fix things one by one - after some time you manage to set things up to just the right level - i don't think there is an across the board standard when it comes to LR's - each one truly is different , so the 'rest to factory spec' system of Jap vehicles just doesn't fly

ultimately the best combination for running a relatively trouble free LR is to , as you right suggested Don, is to get a hold of some of those componenets which have been improved and finding the right balance for what works in each specific case - a vast majority of the time , LR niggles tend to be vehicle specific , so its all a play it by scene where every vehicle is best tuned and perefected to be the best it can be , by looking as things on a case by case basis.

What do u think about this engine?Anybody running with this engine?What is the price of this?I think this is a good option to your defenders.

What do u think about this engine?Anybody running with this engine?What is the price of this?I think this is a good option to your defenders.

i don't know of anyone running this in Sri Lanka

The price is the issue - many years back this was selling for just under GBP 4,000 so might have gone up since - then there is also the issue of getting it from Brazil

or else it needs to be brought via the UK - both costly :mellow:

Nobody uses the 2.8L powerstroke engine in SL as far as I know. this is made by a brazilian company as far as i remember. It was said to be very powerful....but indika was not very impressed with this engine after he drove a defender with this engine, when he came down to england to buy this for his malaysian competition jeep.

Edited by lakshank

i don't know of anyone running this in Sri Lanka

The price is the issue - many years back this was selling for just under GBP 4,000 so might have gone up since - then there is also the issue of getting it from Brazil

or else it needs to be brought via the UK - both costly :mellow:

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00096do2.jpg

I tell u what, one of this mighty engine is running in sri lanka. One of my good friends 110 TDi 200 defender has got it.And I'm lucky enough to be a member of this conversion. The power and toque just cant explained it. even with dual A/C, amazing!!!!! I think this conversion is the best if you can reach it.

Edited by S III upul

I tell u what, one of this mighty engine is running in sri lanka. One of my good friends 110 TDi 200 defender has got it.And I'm lucky enough to be a member of this conversion. The power and toque just cant explained it. even with dual A/C, amazing!!!!! I think this conversion is the best if you can reach it.

jeeez.....Motorism iin sri lanka is far ahead than what i had in my mind.

upul ..do you know where this vehicle is at and who the owner of it is?

[/quo

its at Col. 3, and the owners name ??????????????? I have to get permission from him. That complete restoration done at my place. if u want see some pictures, pls send your e-mail to me.

Dude are you trying to play a game here.... ? :angry-smiley-024:

PS: Mods I think we have someone from the Hola breed here.....

Edited by madmax

I just want to shear my experience with u. And yours too.

If you have experience to share do it straight. You act as if you're unaware of anything, then say the conversion was done at your place, that's not what we like to hear on the forum.

Agree with madmax....Upul...thats not the standard we maintain in AL forums...Not very ethical and does not seem to be very genuine mate...

I don't know why u all saying like this. please explain. I want to know what is the best fit my land rover series 3.

I don't know why u all saying like this. please explain. I want to know what is the best fit my land rover series 3.

the issue is with regard to your comment about the H.S 2.8L Tdi engine

you asked 'how much it would cost'

but there after you've gone onto post a picture of such an engine in Sri Lanka and then say that the conversion was done at 'you place' and that you were involved in it

its only logical that someone who was part of this 'conversion' would know how much the engine cost