• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Swap For Land Rover Seris 3

S III upul

If you have experience to share do it straight. You act as if you're unaware of anything, then say the conversion was done at your place, that's not what we like to hear on the forum.

I don't want to surprise you. I just reply to that particular 2.8 international engine. I'm not a garage owner ether. I just facilitate to a friend to restore his defender.All I want do is restore my series 3 with good engine & gear box combination, low cost too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the issue is with regard to your comment about the H.S 2.8L Tdi engine

you asked 'how much it would cost'

but there after you've gone onto post a picture of such an engine in Sri Lanka and then say that the conversion was done at 'you place' and that you were involved in it

its only logical that someone who was part of this 'conversion' would know how much the engine cost

I mean that I cant reach that kind of engine. that's a big money.And no point to have one in my series 3.

I mean that I cant reach that kind of engine. that's a big money.And no point to have one in my series 3.

no thats understandable machan - no issue there

its just that when someone asks a question like you did regarding the cost of that engine , you give the impression that you don't know and thats hwy your asking

but in fact when you later admit to being a part of putting that very same engine into a vehicle in SL , you , people begin to wonder why you bothered to ask about the price in the first place when your likely to have known it to beign with

its just all rather illogical

O/T Devinda....apologies...u were right yesterday...there is another range rover 6x6 ..

hey no worries bro

i was actually rather looking forward to going for that auction to see this RR 6 wheeler when i heard about it thinking it was the only Carmichael in the country

when i spoke to the chief technical guy who handle mine , he told me there were more of them - and just a few months after the one you have was auctioned off by the Navy, the one from Trinco was brought to Colonial when i got to have a look at things

i'll see if i can dig up any info on the supposed 3rd vehicle as well bro

no thats understandable machan - no issue there

its just that when someone asks a question like you did regarding the cost of that engine , you give the impression that you don't know and thats hwy your asking

but in fact when you later admit to being a part of putting that very same engine into a vehicle in SL , you , people begin to wonder why you bothered to ask about the price in the first place when your likely to have known it to beign with

its just all rather illogical

Sorry for the mistake done by me. I just try to figure out the big money on it.Other thing is to prove this particular engine also running in sri lanka.

hey no worries bro

i was actually rather looking forward to going for that auction to see this RR 6 wheeler when i heard about it thinking it was the only Carmichael in the country

when i spoke to the chief technical guy who handle mine , he told me there were more of them - and just a few months after the one you have was auctioned off by the Navy, the one from Trinco was brought to Colonial when i got to have a look at things

i'll see if i can dig up any info on the supposed 3rd vehicle as well bro

[/q

Exciting article from LRO magazine.

If your land rover's motor is on its last legs but the rest of the vehicle is fine, fitting a donor powerplant is a great way to extend its useful life.

Land Rovers used to be prime candidates for engine conversions cause the standard powerplants lacked the perfomance of other vehicles.

Modern diesel engines are actually very good. Off roaders also like the ease with which diesel engine can be waterproofed for wading.

Deciding which engine to go for is bit of a struggle.Not many choose land rover's pre-TDi diesels as the gains simply aren't worth the cost.

The LRO guide to engine swaps:

For series I,II,IIIs:

Perkins 4.182, 4.203 & Prima , Daihatsu 2.5 & 2.8 , Peugeot 2.3,2.5 and Ford transit diesel

For 90/110/Defenders:

Perkins 4.182, 4.203 , Daihatsu 2.5 & 2.8 , Peugeot 2.3,2.5 , Masda SL35 , Nissan TD25/27 , Isuzu 2.8NA & 3.1T

What do u think.................?

Why dont you ask the guy who does the HS2.8 conversion. I am sure that fellow must be having a broader view to this. A guy who can afford to have that engine and who knows about this particular motor must have done alot of research for sure.

Edited by lakshank

Why dont you ask the guy who does the HS2.8 conversion. I am sure that fellow must be having a broader view to this. A guy who can afford to have that engine and who knows about this perticular motor must have done alot of research for sure.

Sorry friend you're trying catch the wrong end. Any way thank you for your tips and photos.have fun with your landy.... :rolleyes:

what do u mean by that Sorry friend you're trying catch the wrong end.

can u clarify please

I think he was trying to say "You've got the wrong end of the stick" or something similar.

Let it go Lakshan, I mean from what I gather he is quite knowledgeable about Land Rovers, has a good techy for it and has researched the subject of transplanting LR engines with Japanese engines well before joining the discussion. I guess perhaps though he had already decided on the matter for the reasons he has given us he was probably seeking some validation.

I do not know, I mean I cannot read people's minds, but I do not think there is any point extending this conversation if there isn't anything useful to add.

So Upul why don't you do your conversation, tell us how it went and post some pics of your LR rather than engage in unnecessary banter.

I think he was trying to say "You've got the wrong end of the stick" or something similar.

Let it go Lakshan, I mean from what I gather he is quite knowledgeable about Land Rovers, has a good techy for it and has researched the subject of transplanting LR engines with Japanese engines well before joining the discussion. I guess perhaps though he had already decided on the matter for the reasons he has given us he was probably seeking some validation.

I do not know, I mean I cannot read people's minds, but I do not think there is any point extending this conversation if there isn't anything useful to add.

So Upul why don't you do your conversation, tell us how it went and post some pics of your LR rather than engage in unnecessary banter.

Thanks Don, you are in the right lane of this conversation. As I mention earlier,I do have a little knowledge and some experience too.I do researching the subject of transplanting jap engine to a land rover.that docent mean I'm a genius for this.

I've met few land rover owners,who did there restoration at home. But I still couldn't find a person who coupled jap engine to a land rover gear box. By searching the web, it can be done and they do have adapter kits too. So this is it. I don't know What went wrong and how..................! :action-smiley-060:

Edited by S III upul

Why dont you ask the guy who does the HS2.8 conversion. I am sure that fellow must be having a broader view to this. A guy who can afford to have that engine and who knows about this particular motor must have done alot of research for sure.

I don't have to ask him because HS 2.8 conversion simple like, eating a fish bun. It comes with a compete conversion kit, from small nut to Radiator. And a CD with A to Z guild line too. only issue is welder. You need a good welder to weld engine mounts chassis. As you welders are not expensive in sri lanka. so its not an issue.

what do u mean by that Sorry friend you're trying catch the wrong end.

can u clarify please

I know many land rover owners, they are quite hypocritical. They don't want to share there experience. Try to highlight what they have and don't like other people achieving it. I'm not that kind of person. But I cant read others mind.............

Upul...I dont understand what you are upto...I dont understand where you want to steer this into...

I can visualize your personality from your comments...........Hence I would rather keep quiet.

Edited by lakshank

Upul...I dont understand what you are upto...I dont understand where you want to steer this into...

I can visualize your image from your comments...........Hence I would rather keep quiet.

I also feels continuing this topic profitless thing. I always try to do something different. Good or not I'm going to try Jap engine with landy gear box........

Good Luck to Me.............................. :action-smiley-015:

I don't have to ask him because HS 2.8 conversion simple like, eating a fish bun. It comes with a compete conversion kit, from small nut to Radiator. And a CD with A to Z guild line too. only issue is welder. You need a good welder to weld engine mounts chassis. As you welders are not expensive in sri lanka. so its not an issue.

I read up on the HS 2.8 Engine. The people who sell these kits sell the kit customised for different vehicles. I mean like for example you can buy the kit to replace a 200TDI a 300TDI or any LR engine for that matter and they tap in bolt holes where the engine mount is supposed to fit on to the engine block.

So I'm not sure why you need a welder. Perhaps your friend got himself the wrong kit ?

Same goes for other kits consisting of japanese engines etc. If you are buying a conversion kit you might as well buy the right kit for your vehicle !

I read up on the HS 2.8 Engine. The people who sell these kits sell the kit customised for different vehicles. I mean like for example you can buy the kit to replace a 200TDI a 300TDI or any LR engine for that matter and they tap in bolt holes where the engine mount is supposed to fit on to the engine block.

So I'm not sure why you need a welder. Perhaps your friend got himself the wrong kit ?

Same goes for other kits consisting of japanese engines etc. If you are buying a conversion kit you might as well buy the right kit for your vehicle !

welder needs for only one job. That is for weld supplied engine mounting brackets to the chassis. that all.

welder needs for only one job. That is for weld supplied engine mounting brackets to the chassis. that all.

Why would you need mounting brackets ? The supplier I checked out drills the holes so that you can use the 300TDI mounts !

This is for 200tdi, the supplied mounts brackets needs to be weld not to bolt.

Wouldnt the 200 and 300 have similar mounting/brackets?

and if you still need to weld it, i'd presume you got the wrong conversion kit... cos it kinda defeats the purpose of the 'conversion kit'

:)

This is for 200tdi, the supplied mounts brackets needs to be weld not to bolt.

I see, there is a kit for the 200TDI as well you know. Of course I'm talking about distributors over here who seems to get the engine from brazil and then bundle it with the rest of the goodies.

The point I'm trying to make is buying a kit is quite expensive, and I do not really see the point if you have to tinker around with welding etc after spending so much money on a kit.

You might as well make the "kit" yourself.

As I know the important bits on the HS kit is the new exhaust header and the oil filter relocation kit as it gets in the way, but even those things can be made locally !

I guess for your jap engine conversion you might need a new radiator (not sure if the nissan radiator will fit inside the enginge bay so you might need to get one custom made which a place like radiator house or D*MO can do) and the exhaust header (which with some difficulty can be fabricated in SL) Not sure how the mounting points will work out, but mounting brackets again can be made in SL and if necessary holes tapped in to the block for the brackets to bolt in to !

This is atleast what I with my limited knowledge thinks would need to happen.

Wouldnt the 200 and 300 have similar mounting/brackets?

and if you still need to weld it, i'd presume you got the wrong conversion kit... cos it kinda defeats the purpose of the 'conversion kit'

:)

May be, I dont what is the similarity of those brackets.