• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Recondition Parts

fatjoe

Question

This just came to my mind when I was looking for a carb. Now guys in Panchikawatta. u get da old stuff. Say U wanna get a carb, There's no gurantee that it will be a better 1 than wat ya havong rite. For old stuff li9ke my Lancer box, the parts they have in there are already old. So isnt it better to repair wat you have rahter than replacing it. Just an idea. Expert please do comment

7 answers to this question

This just came to my mind when I was looking for a carb. Now guys in Panchikawatta. u get da old stuff. Say U wanna get a carb, There's no gurantee that it will be a better 1 than wat ya havong rite. For old stuff li9ke my Lancer box, the parts they have in there are already old. So isnt it better to repair wat you have rahter than replacing it. Just an idea. Expert please do comment

depends on the extent of damage/wear on existing parts aint it...

and another thing to consider is the possibility of retro-fitting spares from another model that you might be able to get parts for a bit easier...

admittedly some folks like to keep originality but if circumstances are such that it's difficult to do that.... if i were you i'd look into the possibility of transplants :)

Dear Bro,

You may get a good openion from Carburater BANDA at Kosgasa Junction in front of Sugathadasa stadium. He is the expert for carbs. Also he will advise you that from where to buy if it is required.

The problem with repairing in SL is we rarely get the type of precision equipment required to do a proper re build of many components which are otherwise repairable. This is why most people opt for replacement with a old part than trying to repair their current part as it is more likely to work and work over a longer period.

I can attests to this from personal experience. But having said that this is not always true especially when an official repair kit is available to repair the part or original components can be sourced for the repair.

And then there are also certain things which probably is best replaced brand new than repaired, consumables likes shock absorbers, suspension & brake parts etc.

Seems like it all boils down to the point of choice. Whether it’s replacing or Trans plant it depends on your (in that case ur mechanic’s) knowledge and experience. If you make a mistake or a wrong choice U mite end up with a worse situation than what you were in.

Ripper, I'm all up for replacing than the originality. But I've heard comments about retaining the originality that it’s the best way to keep ya machine running smoothly. As you said if there are no other options, I think transplant is the solution. It mite also work better than the original.

Jaga, I’ve heard abt this dude and I have not visited this person yet. Just trying to gather some bits and pieces so dat I have a knowledge of wat I'm walking in to. I must give this place a shot.

Don. I do agree with you on most of the points as in, Brand new shocks and brakes. And we see advertisements saying that they have all the equipment and expertise to do the repairs. But my prob is not the brakes or shokcs, the once which you cannot buy brand-new. I mean dats the first reason you go to panchikawatta in search of these parts rite? Wat do u think?

Seems like it all boils down to the point of choice. Whether it’s replacing or Trans plant it depends on your (in that case ur mechanic’s) knowledge and experience. If you make a mistake or a wrong choice U mite end up with a worse situation than what you were in.

Ripper, I'm all up for replacing than the originality. But I've heard comments about retaining the originality that it’s the best way to keep ya machine running smoothly. As you said if there are no other options, I think transplant is the solution. It mite also work better than the original.

Jaga, I’ve heard abt this dude and I have not visited this person yet. Just trying to gather some bits and pieces so dat I have a knowledge of wat I'm walking in to. I must give this place a shot.

Don. I do agree with you on most of the points as in, Brand new shocks and brakes. And we see advertisements saying that they have all the equipment and expertise to do the repairs. But my prob is not the brakes or shokcs, the once which you cannot buy brand-new. I mean dats the first reason you go to panchikawatta in search of these parts rite? Wat do u think?

Well like you say if you have no option of a brand new replacement (either not available or prohibitively expensive) the options you have are

1. Repair

2. Replace with old + if necessary refurbish

3. Source a non original but good enough replacement

4. Get one of our wonderful machine or electrical shops to make the part for you (It can be done !)

None of this is as good as a brand new replacement, but they are all very real options !

Just as an example the throttle body in my car had a problem. My father with great effort sourced a replacement from Panchikawatte (used but in good condition) but quite a well know auto engineer simply took the old throttle body and repaired it and it worked fine !

Edited by The Don

Well like you say if you have no option of a brand new replacement (either not available or prohibitively expensive) the options you have are

1. Repair

2. Replace with old + if necessary refurbish

3. Source a non original but good enough replacement

4. Get one of our wonderful machine or electrical shops to make the part for you (It can be done !)

None of this is as good as a brand new replacement, but they are all very real options !

Just as an example the throttle body in my car had a problem. My father with great effort sourced a replacement from Panchikawatte (used but in good condition) but quite a well know auto engineer simply took the old throttle body and repaired it and it worked fine !

Is this engineer's name has something to do with potatoes in Sinhala? Heheheh lol.