• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Gas Emission Test Compulsory From 15th July

GihanFX

Vehicle gas emission test will come into effect from 15 of this month onward, Minister of Environment and Natural Resources, Champika Ranawaka said. Revenue license would not be issued to vehicles which do not comply with the environmental standards on vehicle emissions, the Minister added. Obtaining an emission test certificate will cost less than 500 rupees for small vehicle while bigger ones will be charged 500 - 1,000 rupees. Vehicle owners will be required to come to the testing centre, obtain the certificate and take it to the revenue authorities for renewal of their revenue licenses. This move is part of the efforts to improve the air quality in the island, especially in Colombo, where pollution levels are high owing to a concentration of vehicles. A center to test vehicle gas emissions is setup close to the Fort Railway Station. The Ministry has taken steps to establish four new testing centers by the end of this year at a cost of Rs. 88 million to purchase related equipment for testing. At the commencement of this programme the Ministry will test the vehicle of its own. Vehicle emissions -carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons – contribute to the formation of photochemical smog, acid deposition and elevated CO levels and these pollutants cause respiratory problems, increase toxicity and mortality, and the effects are more severe in urban areas where vehicle use is higher.

http://www.news.lk/index.php?option=com_co...4&Itemid=44

Edited by GihanFX

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rev licene price doubled.. fuel prices sky high.....n now this test will also cost u 500-1000 buks..also btt up by 1% to 5%..well even a milioner can now afford a maruti only ha ha

rev licene price doubled.. fuel prices sky high.....n now this test will also cost u 500-1000 buks..also btt up by 1% to 5%..well even a milioner can now afford a maruti only ha ha

Just imagine people live out of colombo have to come to CMB to do this test, wut a waste of money and time

Just imagine people live out of colombo have to come to CMB to do this test, wut a waste of money and time

well i hope they do something to ease the hassle outstation folks have to ho through by starting up testing centers in those areas but all in all... i think this is one THE best decisions any government have taken with regards to automotive related pollution...

sadly though most AL users and similar automotive fans will keep their rides in decent shape there are thousand upon thousands who use their vehicles without giving a damn about the harm their causing to everyone by not keeping their vehicles in good shape.

majority of these folks are using the said vehicles for commercial purposes so they should be able to get those bloody black smoke generating moving health hazards at bay....

So i for one...even with high COL, etc etc... am happy about this whole thing :)

i think this is one THE best decisions any government have taken with regards to automotive related pollution...e thing :)

this will not change anything - people who have polluting vehicles will figure out a way to get by. For example bus drivers will use only diesel on the day of the test (instead of usual diesel/petrol/napalm/nitroglycerine mix) ;)

also, lets face it: 90% of pollution is from tuktuk/motorcycles. You think those guys will do anything different? The standard for them will be set low enough to let anyone pass, same for buses etc. The only place where a high standard will be required will be for cars. Which, compared to the other categories of vehicles, emit only 10% of road pollution or less.

Summary: one year from now, the pollution levels will be the same, the only difference is govt gets 500 - 1000 extra for each vehicle, and people will have to waste time and money that's all.

Thank goodness the people in this country have no shortage of time and money :)

Edited by Saturn

Its more than double last time it was Rs:700/=...this time when I went it was Rs:1600/= :action-smiley-060:

How to Pass Your Emissions Test

1. Test your vehicle on a nice day only--avoid very cold or windy days. Cold weather requires that the engine be run longer for the coolant, oil, and catalytic converter to reach and maintain optimum operating temperature.

2. Make sure your battery is in good condition. A weak or low-voltage battery causes many fuel-injected engines to run rich (use too much fuel).

3. Change engine oil before having the vehicle tested. Dirty or contaminated oil increases exhaust emissions.

4. Use premium gasoline to help reduce nitrogen oxide (Nox) emissions.

5. Do not overfill the gas tank. After the nozzle clicks off, add no more than a dime’s worth of fuel. If the tank is overfilled, liquid gasoline can be drawn into the engine through the canister purge system.

6. Drive at least 20 miles before having the vehicle tested.

7. Arrive at the test center with only a quarter- to a half-tank of gasoline.

8. While waiting for the inspection, place the gear selector in “park” or “neutral,” and keep the engine running at fast idle (about 2500 rpm).

9. Before testing begins, turn the air conditioning/heating or defroster to the off position.

this will not change anything - people who have polluting vehicles will figure out a way to get by. For example bus drivers will use only diesel on the day of the test (instead of usual diesel/petrol/napalm/nitroglycerine mix) ;)

also, lets face it: 90% of pollution is from tuktuk/motorcycles. You think those guys will do anything different? The standard for them will be set low enough to let anyone pass, same for buses etc. The only place where a high standard will be required will be for cars. Which, compared to the other categories of vehicles, emit only 10% of road pollution or less.

Summary: one year from now, the pollution levels will be the same, the only difference is govt gets 500 - 1000 extra for each vehicle, and people will have to waste time and money that's all.

Thank goodness the people in this country have no shortage of time and money :)

well as far as i've noticed... the biggest offenders are the larger diesel vehicles like trucks, vans, buses etc... I think it's only in colombo and suburbs you get such high concentration of tuk tuks and bikes..

admittedly whoever's doing this should do it with true results as their goals. will it happen... well i dunno. And for the standard on cars is low... car communities etc should stand up and voice their concerns rather than taking everything lying down... It's pretty sad that in SL that you find very few folks who will act to make a change...

About standards being lower for buses... maybe i'm wrong cos i don't know how exactly these tests work but a vehicle carrying over 50 folks when compared to a vehicle carrying 4 folks max should get some sort of concession IMHO...

for tuk tuks and bikes... i though the 2 stroke ban was still on track???

And another point to consider is that the government wanting to reduce pollution but had made sure newer vehicles with better emission standards are kept out of this country by insane import taxes...

• 2 weeks later...
Vehicle gas emission test will come into effect from 15 of this month onward, Minister of Environment and Natural Resources, Champika Ranawaka said. Revenue license would not be issued to vehicles which do not comply with the environmental standards on vehicle emissions, the Minister added. Obtaining an emission test certificate will cost less than 500 rupees for small vehicle while bigger ones will be charged 500 - 1,000 rupees. Vehicle owners will be required to come to the testing centre, obtain the certificate and take it to the revenue authorities for renewal of their revenue licenses. This move is part of the efforts to improve the air quality in the island, especially in Colombo, where pollution levels are high owing to a concentration of vehicles. A center to test vehicle gas emissions is setup close to the Fort Railway Station. The Ministry has taken steps to establish four new testing centers by the end of this year at a cost of Rs. 88 million to purchase related equipment for testing. At the commencement of this programme the Ministry will test the vehicle of its own. Vehicle emissions -carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons – contribute to the formation of photochemical smog, acid deposition and elevated CO levels and these pollutants cause respiratory problems, increase toxicity and mortality, and the effects are more severe in urban areas where vehicle use is higher.

http://www.news.lk/index.php?option=com_co...4&Itemid=44

As per the news papers, this is confirmed and affective from today.

My License gets expired in August and can I come to Super Car Meet Up (http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?showtopic=5243) and get it certified?

Acording to the above statement, i can not get my lincense renewed with out this test correct?

please advice.

Edited by Rastima

if the gosl wants to improve the air quality then the army of buses and old lorries must be the main targets and not the very few car owning minority. However can you imagine the chaos on the roads when all the buses fail and people cannot get to work. As has been said before the main polluters will either bribe the test centre for the certificate or bribe the police officer when stopped.(and dont pretend this doesnt happen )These certificate unless difficult to forge will just be scanned on a computer then printed off with the relevant registration number etc.This is not rocket science but technologically easy to do now.The government should have set up test centres everywhere long before announcing its enforcement .Can you imagine the length of the queues and the chaos caused if there only is 1 test centre in the whole of sri lanka .I live in Tangalle and will have travel a huge distant just to comply.Why not introduce test centres in car garages as we have in england where the emmissioins are tested when the vehicle has its annual mot(ministry of transport) test.That way its independently done and free from govt intervention and incompetence

if the gosl wants to improve the air quality then the army of buses and old lorries must be the main targets and not the very few car owning minority. However can you imagine the chaos on the roads when all the buses fail and people cannot get to work. As has been said before the main polluters will either bribe the test centre for the certificate or bribe the police officer when stopped.(and dont pretend this doesnt happen )These certificate unless difficult to forge will just be scanned on a computer then printed off with the relevant registration number etc.This is not rocket science but technologically easy to do now.The government should have set up test centres everywhere long before announcing its enforcement .Can you imagine the length of the queues and the chaos caused if there only is 1 test centre in the whole of sri lanka .I live in Tangalle and will have travel a huge distant just to comply.Why not introduce test centres in car garages as we have in england where the emmissioins are tested when the vehicle has its annual mot(ministry of transport) test.That way its independently done and free from govt intervention and incompetence

AFAIK the test centers are privately owned institutions and not government managed. chances are that bribing stuff will be very limited cos if the news starts leaking out...government might have to take away their "license" to continue as a testing center... Not giving a monopoly over testing to a single company might make this work even better

And also to my knowledge there are about 3 or more centers operational to date and like you rightly said... they better start creating more test centers around the island or this will simply not work.

Maybe the government can setup a system where public can call in and complain about those rather obvious offenders on the road if and when they see them... This is one way to keep corrupt cops and test center officials from screwing up things

as i drive to work...almost everyday i see so many vehicles...mainly diesels puffing out thick black smoke and revving away without giving a flying f*** about the damage they're doing... This might not be the ultimate solution to taking those guys out but IMHO it's a start in the right direction

If we keep on complaining about why it will never work...we will never be able to get anything good in this country or make change for the better.

AFAIK the test centers are privately owned institutions and not government managed. chances are that bribing stuff will be very limited cos if the news starts leaking out...government might have to take away their "license" to continue as a testing center... Not giving a monopoly over testing to a single company might make this work even better

And also to my knowledge there are about 3 or more centers operational to date and like you rightly said... they better start creating more test centers around the island or this will simply not work.

Maybe the government can setup a system where public can call in and complain about those rather obvious offenders on the road if and when they see them... This is one way to keep corrupt cops and test center officials from screwing up things

as i drive to work...almost everyday i see so many vehicles...mainly diesels puffing out thick black smoke and revving away without giving a flying f*** about the damage they're doing... This might not be the ultimate solution to taking those guys out but IMHO it's a start in the right direction

If we keep on complaining about why it will never work...we will never be able to get anything good in this country or make change for the better.

There are so many things that need addressing regarding vehicles on the road -buses & lorries without brake lights- belching black smoke - crazy driving standards-overtaking on corners-speeding even thru town centres to keep on schedule .I imagine the laws are already in existence to stop and fine these careless individuals but they still can be seen island wide.Whilst I agree we must make every effort to improve safety and cleanliness for all road users -we must accept that in the real world as opposed to the one we would like it to be there will be many out there working out ways to circumvent any of these new regulations and measures.Until as in the west there is a police force that is well paid that does not wish to lose pensions as well a well paid job ,many officers will subsidize their salaries in other ways .A phone line to report badly maintained vehicles would be a good start as long as anonimity can be garanteed. lets hope this is the begining of if not a brave new world at least a brave new sri lanka

Whether or not everyone benefits, just be warned that he has just said, test, and advice on what to do to pass the test. Don't get the idea that certification will be done there, coz thats clearly NOT mentioned. Just something to get you some fore-knowledge on what to address before actually going for an official test.

Whether or not everyone benefits, just be warned that he has just said, test, and advice on what to do to pass the test. Don't get the idea that certification will be done there, coz thats clearly NOT mentioned. Just something to get you some fore-knowledge on what to address before actually going for an official test.

good point to highlight that or else the whole place will be flooded by our fellas for the freebie :) :)

Oh well...after yesterday... i'm sure lotsa "anti-emissions standards" folks would've had a change of heart :)

If i'm not wrong...almost all the cars that were tested passed with flying color...

yeha yeah Devinda you're Z did way better than my Toyota :lol:

So guys... don' think this is a bad thing at all... Only the heavy offenders will get caught ad bribing will be very difficult cos testings are carried out by private sector companies.

These guys have invested lotsa money into these things and i doubt they will risk all that for a couple of thousand bucks from a bus bugger or summin...

Ha on Devinda's Z! What about mine?! One of the cleanest cars that were tested there :D I think. :D Though Dev is getting a cleaner burn at the high rev point.

Like someone was saying there, this is the dawn of a new age of motoring in Sri Lanka. Instead of comparing horsepower, we are comparing emissions. :D Well, at least it can be maesured, unlike hp, which is guess work coz we don't have a dyno. :D

Ha on Devinda's Z! What about mine?! One of the cleanest cars that were tested there :D I think. :D Though Dev is getting a cleaner burn at the high rev point.

Like someone was saying there, this is the dawn of a new age of motoring in Sri Lanka. Instead of comparing horsepower, we are comparing emissions. :D Well, at least it can be maesured, unlike hp, which is guess work coz we don't have a dyno. :D

heh heh... guess the next gen car adverts will have their emission "achievements" as well :)

My buddies v35 had shockingly low results... he had like some 7 and 9 :unsure:

Dev was so thrilled the bugger phoned me up to mock the non-performance toyota being way worse than him :P

How was yours Peri... the numbers i mean? I'm a bit on the high side so taking it to toyota for a tune up cos at low revvs the fella is putting out too much of hydrocarbons..unburnt fuel i guess.... still passed the test though :lol:

Spoke to Spencer and he said a few buses have failed the test so far :jumping-smiley-013:

on HP... i think they just add things up like ok...we're getting ground wires and that's like +7 hp ther...straight through is another xxHp etc etc and they get the grand total :lol: