• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Landcruser Prado

isam

Thanks for reading.

I'm checking out a Land Cruser Prado with a body permit. It has the 2LTE engine. The body and interior seems to be in fairly good condition (LJ78 body). However I'm curious about the following;

1. I have heard that the engine head cracks in the 2LTE (2.8L turbo EFI) engine due to overheting. Some say that the engine should not be reved over 3000 rpm and to downshift when climbing a hill, so the burdon is taken off the engine.

2. How to detect a cracked engine head in one of these engines?

3. The odometer shows 150K+ kms which the owner is saying as genuine milage. The engine had been swapped along with the body. Will I have to do an overhaul soon? I have heard that this engine can do upto 400K kms before an overhaul. Any truth in it?

4. Does the engine require installing a turbo timer and a pyrometer/EGT meter?

5. Apprecite if you can share your experience on this jeep/engine with me.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for reading.

I'm checking out a Land Cruser Prado with a body permit. It has the 2LTE engine. The body and interior seems to be in fairly good condition (LJ78 body). However I'm curious about the following;

1. I have heard that the engine head cracks in the 2LTE (2.8L turbo EFI) engine due to overheting. Some say that the engine should not be reved over 3000 rpm and to downshift when climbing a hill, so the burdon is taken off the engine.

3. The odometer shows 150K+ kms which the owner is saying as genuine milage. The engine had been swapped along with the body. Will I have to do an overhaul soon? I have heard that this engine can do upto 400K kms before an overhaul. Any truth in it?

Thanks in advance.

Machan I’m sorry I can’t help you with your questions, but I would love to know how much these cruisers go for. I know since it’s a body permit it’s rather cheap. Please let me know. Good luck to you..

Thanks for reading.

Thanks in advance.

The LJ/KZJ Model 'Cruiser is a great vehicle, Rugged, comfortable and reliable.... a good choice all round but IMO if there is no major price difference, you're better off buying a vehicle that was either a Brand new Import or one that was a recon import... preferably one with the 1KZ-T 3.0 liter turbo... the issue with the "body permit" vehicles is that no one can be quite certain just what sort of horrors a shiny coat of paint and a smart interior are hiding!

I doubt you should place much trust in the odometer reading, turning them back is very easy, and these old cruisers can do hundreds of thousands of KM without looking tired if they've been smartened up a bit.

In general the Toyota L engine is pretty bombproof, although 400K is a bit of a stretch, if it's been maintained well 250K+ between rebuilds is definitely a possibility. Small note though, I believe the 2L motor has a capacity of 2.4 Liters... Its the 3L thats a 2.8.

As for the engine question, The head cracking issue is a new one on me, Milindu has experience with an LJ that has this engine though..

Overall this is an excellent vehicle, but again, better buy would be vehicles that are original.... The general price range is from 4- 4.5 Million, although some people will quote more.

The LJ/KZJ Model 'Cruiser is a great vehicle, Rugged, comfortable and reliable.... a good choice all round but IMO if there is no major price difference, you're better off buying a vehicle that was either a Brand new Import or one that was a recon import... preferably one with the 1KZ-T 3.0 liter turbo... the issue with the "body permit" vehicles is that no one can be quite certain just what sort of horrors a shiny coat of paint and a smart interior are hiding!

I doubt you should place much trust in the odometer reading, turning them back is very easy, and these old cruisers can do hundreds of thousands of KM without looking tired if they've been smartened up a bit.

In general the Toyota L engine is pretty bombproof, although 400K is a bit of a stretch, if it's been maintained well 250K+ between rebuilds is definitely a possibility. Small note though, I believe the 2L motor has a capacity of 2.4 Liters... Its the 3L thats a 2.8.

As for the engine question, The head cracking issue is a new one on me, Milindu has experience with an LJ that has this engine though..

Overall this is an excellent vehicle, but again, better buy would be vehicles that are original.... The general price range is from 4- 4.5 Million, although some people will quote more.

Many thanks Supra. this one costs about 3.8+M.

It seems the 2LT engines in Surf and Prado do through this problem. Found the following forum... a bit scary :(

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=453098

Thanks for reading.

Thanks in advance.

well.... i dont know much about crusires but i can tell u about this engine.

1st the 2L turbo engine has a capacity of 2400CC not 2800CC.

the 2.8 one didnt came with a turbo and the 2.8 engine is known as 3L engine. this is not a EFI engine.

the 1KZ is a different one which produces 2900cc or somthing... this is the best engine out of thee.

the 2L engine is bit under powered when comparing with the 1KZ but I THINK better than the 3L ... this will run around 300K kms without probs if u maintain it well (have experience with this kind of engine which ran 340,000kms).

Its better if u can install a turbo timer anyway.

i also have seen so many threads on forums about this head problem with this engine but i dont know much about this...

i think u better go for a prado with a 1kz motor bcz LC is bit heavy and theres no any cracking complains about 1kz.

btw, how much is this LC?

Edited by ferrarif50

One of my friends had a LJ78 2.8L it was great vehicle to drive. Looks steady even after many years & 235K+ km on the meter.

The 2L-TE should be a 2.4L motor & the 2.8L motor was a 3L. better if you can get one with the 1KZ (3.0 turbo) engine to experience more power.

If the body of the vehicle is replaced there is no guarantee that the odometer reading would be correct. Most of the LJ78's with 32- plates have new bodies planted on. There are few for sale with the genuine body, i inquired the price of one last week while checking another car for my bro & the price tag was 4.5mil for it. I can't remember the manufactured year tho...

We had a 2L Turbo Auto where the head cracked and a new head cost about 150k if I can remember right. This resulted from a lot off heating over the years resulting from a less than optimum cooling system. After the costly repair, we gave it extra care and we ran another 40-50k without any issues. There were a few 'doesnt pull well up hil'l complaints.

I think there are enough 1KZ engined (hardier and nicer to driver) body permit vehicles in the market if you are in the market for one. Amazing to think people pay so much for a vehicle that came down in parts running usually with a Police Jeep number.

We still have an LJ79 in the fleet with a 3L engine with a Manual box which is more economical and longer lasting (and better on juice).

What is this EFI bsiness? Is it better than the normal turbo engine? will it provide a better fuel economy?

It essentially means that the Fuel injection is controlled electronically, Via an ECU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_fuel_injection

More efficient than older Mechanical injection systems... somewhat more complex to fix in certain situations.

have you decided firmly on going for that particular vehicle?

have you decided firmly on going for that particular vehicle?

No not really Supra. I'm still on the search.

Edited by isam

• 1 month later...
Mine is 1kZ engine EFI, only do 5 ~ 6 Km/l in city

Thanks podilamaya, this gotta be automatic transmission neda?

I spoke to a few Jeep deralers in my search for Jeeps. Automatic jeeps seems to have more demand than manual ones. I'm used to manual transmission and am a bit afraid (ok I admit my paranoya) to drive automatic. Of cause when it comes to small vehicles automatic is a bit fuzzy. But the few Jeeps I have driven(LJ78s and Mitsu. Intercoolers) were behaving quite well... Guess I'm going to go for Auto or Manual, whichever I get my hands on first... :rolleyes:

Yes it has auto transmission, that jeep has body permit. New body and new engine came together. In my case I had no issue with auto transmission except it drink bit more fuel than manual jeeps. But it is very easy to drive on Colombo traffic. I also recommend you 1KZ as 2L is bit under power. Give me a ring if you wanna see my jeep 777330007