• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fitting An A/c For A Mini

chams_mini

Hi guys,

Want to know whether we can fit an A/C system in to any Mini engine?? This is coz some say that A/C system might not suite older engines and will only suit Metro engines.. Is this the case??

Will a 1980 1000cc engine which has been rebuilt an year back bear the A/C system without over heating??

Also what are the most important thing to note when fixing it??? (Eg: Idle up, supporting Fans to cool the engine and etc..)

GMI & Miniace seek your advice too.

Thanks

Cheers

Edited by chams_mini

Hi guys,

Want to know whether we can fit an A/C system in to any Mini engine?? This is coz some say that A/C system might not suite older engines and will only suit Metro engines.. Is this the case??

Will a 1980 1000cc engine which has been rebuilt an year back bear the A/C system without over heating??

Also what are the most important thing to note when fixing it??? (Eg: Idle up, supporting Fans to cool the engine and etc..)

GMI & Miniace seek your advice too.

Thanks

Cheers

you will not have a problem if you look in the following issues & try to fix a original Mini A/c kit as it will give you less trouble.

these are the problems which i had to sortout when i fixed the AC to my mini, it is also a 1000cc europien A+engine

1) you need to check what radiator fan you have ( if it is a 6 blade you need to get a japanese 11 blade fan)

2) you need to check whetther your alternator is 30amp ( most of the cars which came without AC came with this ) , if so you need to put a jap atlernator , i advise you to get a original jap mini alternator(70amp ) as it will make things much easier when it comes to aligning & fitting

3) get a professional to fix the compressor & the alternator properly aligned , otherwise you will have problems continously

4) check your radiator condition whether it has any blocked lines, that also make a difference but if it is not very bad you can live with

5) you need to fix a external fan with a thermostat under the left mud guard to pull out the air from the radiator

6)you need to fix an idle up for smooth running , this is not a difficult thing

i think GMi & MINIACE will give you better informaiton , these are the issues which i had to attend & now my car runs fine even in heavy traffic the temp doesnt come even to half

all the best on your Ac project , cheers

Edited by MRM

Hi Chams mini!

I understand your motor is 1000cc and non-Metro.

The best options is to get original spec brackets, supporters and the compressor off a used Japanese Mini engine rather than turning out all necessary engine related bits and pieces or go for a direct AC metro engine swap.

What ever the case maybe, you need pay attention to the cooling system. An auxiliary fan is a must with a good quality or new radiator. Overheating is very much likely when fitted an aftermarket AC unit. You may be benefited from installing high-flow water pump and if planning to remove the thermostat, don’t forget to install a blanking sleeve.

As MRM affirmed your attention is compulsory to Electrics as well.

Good luck if you opt to proceed!

MINIACE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MRM,

Can i have a number to contact you pls.. Its a bit urgent since i'm planning to go ahead with the A/C project ...

(Mine is 777826592)

Cheers..

TNX

you will not have a problem if you look in the following issues & try to fix a original Mini A/c kit as it will give you less trouble.

these are the problems which i had to sortout when i fixed the AC to my mini, it is also a 1000cc europien A+engine

1) you need to check what radiator fan you have ( if it is a 6 blade you need to get a japanese 11 blade fan)

2) you need to check whetther your alternator is 30amp ( most of the cars which came without AC came with this ) , if so you need to put a jap atlernator , i advise you to get a original jap mini alternator(70amp ) as it will make things much easier when it comes to aligning & fitting

3) get a professional to fix the compressor & the alternator properly aligned , otherwise you will have problems continously

4) check your radiator condition whether it has any blocked lines, that also make a difference but if it is not very bad you can live with

5) you need to fix a external fan with a thermostat under the left mud guard to pull out the air from the radiator

6)you need to fix an idle up for smooth running , this is not a difficult thing

i think GMi & MINIACE will give you better informaiton , these are the issues which i had to attend & now my car runs fine even in heavy traffic the temp doesnt come even to half

all the best on your Ac project , cheers

• 1 month later...

HI all,

Need some comments on this.

I went ahead with my A/C project and now im experiencing a bit of overheating (Car doesn't boil tho). Temp meter indicating more than half

I've fitted all original stuff and fixed a side fan as well.

The things i din't fix is a thermostat valve and an idle up since the A/C guys said it's not essential.

The prob is even without switching 0n the A/C the temp rises after doing around 15 Km.

This didn't happen before i fitted A/C and temp didn't come to half.

Any specific reason for this?

What should i look in to as this has become a issue for me!!!

Guys need your help on this pls......

did u put a new radiator or the old one .hows the cleaness in it, n check even if u dont turn the ac on the ac clutch may work due to electrical prob this is common probs in any car.. i faced it in honda so miniace gv sm exprt cmments

Hay brof,

maybe u know me, B)

i fixed a A/C to 1of my mini last year and it has da same engine u got.

and i put the condensor @ back and very small compressure (Suzuki Every) and hangon type cooler with copper cooling fins. don't use da aluminium model.if u can find pls go for that (good cool), as some 1 mentioned above pls install a extra cooling fan it must be a 10" flat fan cost around 3250/= u can get it from Cosmic @ Kolpity.install that and check. ah pls clean u r radiator too. in my new mini i got a thermo sensor like this,

011ta2.th.jpgthpix.gif

u can make a automatic thermo sensor and can make a joint like mine ;) . so it ll switch on the fan automaticaly @ 60 Cel..

pls put a extra fan to take out the heated air from the engine room. pls don't let to cut any places around the radiator to fix a fan.the fan wht i mention, u can directly fit to da location "between da radiator and chassy"

dsc01416bj6pd6.th.jpgthpix.gif

hope u ll enjoy with u r mini,

gud luk,

JC.

Hi John,

Well i have fitted extra fan under the mud guard as u have mentioned. Every other thing looks ok.

Is it becoz of the compressor the temp rise? Coz i fixed the originalk mini compressor.

How much is the suzuki compressor? How's the aligning? will check on the AC clutch as mentioned..

Really need to get things correct as heating is a bothering issue. John do you recommend any place around colombo get it done??

Thanx Bro..

Cheers

Guys need help pls......

John over to you......

Hi John,

Well i have fitted extra fan under the mud guard as u have mentioned. Every other thing looks ok.

Is it becoz of the compressor the temp rise? Coz i fixed the originalk mini compressor.

How much is the suzuki compressor? How's the aligning? will check on the AC clutch as mentioned..

Really need to get things correct as heating is a bothering issue. John do you recommend any place around colombo get it done??

Thanx Bro..

Cheers

hi Chams,

i can't recomend any place cos i don't know any place @ colombo. so best way is check with some A/C micanics and show them u r car, check how they gone design the A/C to u r car,

but 1 thing don't let them to cut any place @ u r car. if some 1 try to do so leave him. if u r having the Mini Clubman no matter u can put the condensor @ front, behind the front grill, but i don't think so. then u have to find another option.

as u said u got a original A/C Com, it is bit bigger 1 with piston type. so that's y it's bit big. and used only R12 gas

so if u a using that compressure u can use small condensor but if u gone use da new compressure with 134A gas u have to use a big thin condensor or small thik condensor,

with that only u can design the condensor location.

so if u need more info

just give me a call machan,

0773-524050

thanks

• 4 months later...
call yasan on 0777346355

who on earth is Yasan?? :huh:

you've splashed his name across multiple threads - care to kindly explain who he is and what he specializes in etc or at the very least give us a rough introduction as to who he is before you go all out and recommend him? <_<