• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Horn Issue In Fb15

Rastima

Hi guys,

One of my friends is facing a wired problem with his Horn, Vehicle is Nissan FB15 Super Saloon; and following is what I experienced when I drive his car.

When the vehicle is on start (not moving), the horn works fine, even if I drive it around 30-40kmh (while driving) still the horn works fine, but if I try to pull it over 80 or drive more than 8 - 10 Km over 60, and if I hit the horn while driving, it does not work at all, some times it works. (I had to keep hitting the horn)

As he said, it gives him a very hard time when he is on long run. Some time it’s not working at all till he slowdown the vehicle. He had replaced his horn twice and the wired thing is the horn does not get burned. Even no issue diagnosed in Fuses.

What could be the issue here?

Edited by Rastima

Hi guys,

One of my friends is facing a wired problem with his Horn, Vehicle is Nissan FB15 SuperSalon; and following is what I experienced when I drive his car.

When the vehicle is on start (not moving), the horn works fine, even if I drive it around 30-40kmh (while driving) still the horn works fine, but if I try to pull it over 80 or drive more than 8 - 10 Km over 60, and if I hit the horn while driving, it does not work at all, some times it works. (I had to keep hitting the horn)

As he said, it gives him a very hard time when he is on long run. Some time it’s not working at all till he slowdown the vehicle. He had replaced his horn twice and the wired thing is the horn does not get burned. Even no issue diagnosed in Fuses.

What could be the issue here?

The issue is probably a faulty horn switch or wiring ! Get somebody to take the steering wheel horn button out and take a look,

Can't explain the speed related issue though ! never heard of something like this before !

The issue is probably a faulty horn switch or wiring ! Get somebody to take the steering wheel horn button out and take a look,

Can't explain the speed related issue though ! never heard of something like this before !

Don,

I took the car in to my place and the electrician said that there is no wiring issue or any faulty horn switch in there since it was never been removed before.

still the issue is there. dont know where to take it and fix the issue.

F1..F1... please....

Don,

I took the car in to my place and the electrician said that there is no wiring issue or any faulty horn switch in there since it was never been removed before.

F1..F1... please....

Best Place is A*W by the sounds of it or Pala Auto Electrical should be just as good. I think you will need to demonstrate the issue in practice for anybody to figure out whats wrong.

Did you take that electrician for a ride and show him the problem ?.

The thing is I do not think the horn circuit is a very complicated one (though I do not know specifically about the FB 15). I should only contain a switch, a relay and the horns ! How its affected by the speed in which the car is traveling is beyond me ! One thing to check is if when you hit the horn at high speed does the relay work ? It will at least tell you what section of the horn circuit is causing the problem.

Best Place is A*W by the sounds of it or Pala Auto Electrical should be just as good. I think you will need to demonstrate the issue in practice for anybody to figure out whats wrong.

Did you take that electrician for a ride and show him the problem ?.

The thing is I do not think the horn circuit is a very complicated one (though I do not know specifically about the FB 15). I should only contain a switch, a relay and the horns ! How its affected by the speed in which the car is traveling is beyond me ! One thing to check is if when you hit the horn at high speed does the relay work ? It will at least tell you what section of the horn circuit is causing the problem.

I once had somewhat similar problem on my XR250 few years back... at higher speeds the headlight use to cut out and burn the fuse...

first tried the DIY thing using the manual as a guide to figure it out but all was ok... bought a cheap chinese digi multimeter to assist me but even with that i absolutely couldn't find anything wrong...

took it to my mechanic fella who knew a "good" electrician.. he also found nothing wrong...

Finally took it home and cleaned the wire harness myself and checked the headlight wiring up close and found the problem... the rubber insulator on one of the wire was damaged at one point and this was grounding to the body causing the short circuit...my guess was that at higher speeds the headlight housing and the number plate thing was forcing this set of wires onto theframe of the bike and bam, burnt fuse!

chances are...your buddy's FB15 might also be having a simple problem like that but it's a bit of a tough one to diagnose

Edited by Ripper

Don,

F1..F1... please....

Nnot an expert--but my few cents--> I would think that the reason is the force of the wind. Greater the speed, greater the foce of the wind. As Don said most probably the relay doesn't work at high speeds due to a loose connection between the clip & replay. Maybe the loose connection only occours when he wind force is at a higher level [i.e. at speed]

I once had somewhat similar problem on my XR250 few years back... at higher speeds the headlight use to cut out and burn the fuse...

first tried the DIY thing using the manual as a guide to figure it out but all was ok... bought a cheap chinese digi multimeter to assist me but even with that i absolutely couldn't find anything wrong...

took it to my mechanic fella who knew a "good" electrician.. he also found nothing wrong...

Finally took it home and cleaned the wire harness myself and checked the headlight wiring up close and found the problem... the rubber insulator on one of the wire was damaged at one point and this was grounding to the body causing the short circuit...my guess was that at higher speeds the headlight housing and the number plate thing was forcing this set of wires onto theframe of the bike and bam, burnt fuse!

chances are...your buddy's FB15 might also be having a simple problem like that but it's a bit of a tough one to diagnose

As ripper said it could be the wire harness. check the wire harness if there any loosen up places in it there is a probability of short circuit. and if there is any Relay in outside. check whether it's grounded correctly. if you can remove the wire harness from both ends, clean it up sockets using Electric contact cleaner.

was just about to say the same thing. if its coming in at high speeds its sure to do with some wire grounding.. because at high speeds your engine bay gets winds at high speeds., if the wire are not properly fastened it might be shorting out..

try to trace the horn wiring and see if its damaged at some point..

• 3 months later...

HI,

There is a relay unit for horn. How ever it might be loose in side or worn out. As you reach 80km, due to vibration it can be malfunction. And i suggest you to check the battery voltage on 2000- 3000 RPM.

on the back side of horn there is a small screw that you can change the frequency of your horn. if you tight or loose the screw the tone should be changed. Try with adjusting that screw too.

Sira