• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Serena

thusithasam

Question

20 answers to this question

Hi Friends,

Why peoples are says Nissan Serena(Diesel) is not good vehicle.Please give me your commens.

Good things and bad things Common problems also.

thanks

Well the reason why people do not like this vehicle is because its very under powered and the ride is extremely bumpy at the back.

It has the same engine as the Vanette but is much heavier !

As for common problems, due to improper maintenance some of these vehicles tend to over heat and boil, but this I understand is easily rectifiable.

On the plus side, engine parts are freely available, its much safer to drive than a van (as it actually has a front crumple zone) good road visibility and functional and flexible vehicle (though I cannot say comfortable on SL roads)

If you want to buy a Serena the best model to buy is the Serena FX Turbo which has adequate power to pull that vehicle around.

If you want to buy a Serena the best model to buy is the Serena FX Turbo which has adequate power to pull that vehicle around.

Don, I bet we could expect a hell of a lot of engine ware and tare from it..don't you think...all the Turbo diesel I know got wasted after 200,000km..some of them before 150,000km mark.

The problem is high rpm and high compression ratio does not seem to couple together I think! He will have to do the engine after driving for a while.

Will have more trouble starting up once under compression than the normal diesel I think.

Personally I think Turbo diesel is not a good option unless you are performance driven which I am sure you are not. I don't know about normal aspirated diesel's but heard a lot of bad comments from the people I know who had em..but they did not give me a particular reason though!

Don, I bet we could expect a hell of a lot of engine ware and tare from it..don't you think...all the Turbo diesel I know got wasted after 200,000km..some of them before 150,000km mark.

The problem is high rpm and high compression ratio does not seem to couple together I think! He will have to do the engine after driving for a while.

Will have more trouble starting up once under compression than the normal diesel I think.

Personally I think Turbo diesel is not a good option unless you are performance driven which I am sure you are not. I don't know about normal aspirated diesel's but heard a lot of bad comments from the people I know who had em..but they did not give me a particular reason though!

Funny, I know of several turbo diesels that have passed that mark and are still running fine without major work.... such as anything that has the toyota 1KZT engine.

Actually Priya, modern Turbo's are pretty resilient and I don't think they would wear off as badly as you suggest. I mean most intercity buses have turbo charged engines and they manage multiple 100K miles without difficulty. To be honest if not for the Turbo's they won't be as half as nippy as they are.

All things are impermanent Priya, and in Turbo charged engine scenario its the same, but Turbo charged engines provide for more efficient fuel burning, and better power to weight ratio so the money it saves and quality of drive it provides outweighs the slightly higher maintenance cost !

Serena FX's are quite rare in SL and I've only ridden in one, but its the only Serena I would actually consider buying !

Edited by The Don

Actually Priya, modern Turbo's are pretty resilient and I don't think they would wear off as badly as you suggest. I mean most intercity buses have turbo charged engines and they manage multiple 100K miles without difficulty. To be honest if not for the Turbo's they won't be as half as nippy as they are.

All things are impermanent Priya, and in Turbo charged engine scenario its the same, but Turbo charged engines provide for more efficient fuel burning, and better power to weight ratio so the money it saves and quality of drive it provides outweighs the slightly higher maintenance cost !

Serena FX's are quite rare in SL and I've only ridden in one, but its the only Serena I would actually consider buying !

Thanks for the info DON.

Well mate I am not an hands on Serena user to say YES/No to these facts, but on the other hand if the FX is quite rare wont it put him in danger when it comes to repairs and parts! Specially turbo parts! Since you mentioned its rare.

But I understand you have given that "but its the only Serena I would actually consider buying !" meant some negative point about the other normal aspirated once!

Of course agree it'll make combustion good when driven at moderate speed say 40-60, since a forced induction but yet again it will not do better when high revved isn't it?(beyond moderate speed)

Well hardly cannot comment on Intercity buses..since I find it very difficult to associate with the drivers/conductors and the owners of those since of the

disgusting way they behave in society!

But DON, I hardly cannot agree with your first comment! "Actually Priya, modern Turbo's are pretty resilient and I don't think they would wear off as badly as you suggest." because my comments ware not based on just verbal info given to me, but each and every case I was in it and actually seen it.

Let me name a few. Atleast for information for members.

1)Toyota Corsa Moa 1992-1.5 Turbo Diesel(Under comp and redu after 200,000)my fathers

2)Toyota Carina Ti 1996-2.0 Turbo Diesel(Under comp. and redo after 150,000)my best friends

3)Nissan Serena FE 1992-2.0 Deisel(Under comp. engine replaced after 180,000)fathers best friends

I really like to see how a hands on serena user would comment! On these matters and comments pointed out by us.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Edited by priya

Must be coz they were revving high. Diesels aren't supposed to be revved high. Thats why you work with the low range torque.

I remember madmax would throw a conniption fit and launch into a lecture on diesels whenever I went near the 3k rpm mark on the 320d.

Must be coz they were revving high. Diesels aren't supposed to be revved high. Thats why you work with the low range torque.

I remember madmax would throw a conniption fit and launch into a lecture on diesels whenever I went near the 3k rpm mark on the 320d.

Thats true peri. Only for low rev..rev it hard and its gone. not like petrols..I remember the pics of what Devinda posted of the Diesel supercharged..which has a very low redline.

Thanks for the info DON.

Well mate I am not an hands on Serena user to say YES/No to these facts, but on the other hand if the FX is quite rare wont it put him in danger when it comes to repairs and parts! Specially turbo parts! Since you mentioned its rare.

But I understand you have given that "but its the only Serena I would actually consider buying !" meant some negative point about the other normal aspirated once!

Of course agree it'll make combustion good when driven at moderate speed say 40-60, since a forced induction but yet again it will not do better when high revved isn't it?(beyond moderate speed)

Well hardly cannot comment on Intercity buses..since I find it very difficult to associate with the drivers/conductors and the owners of those since of the

disgusting way they behave in society!

But DON, I hardly cannot agree with your first comment! "Actually Priya, modern Turbo's are pretty resilient and I don't think they would wear off as badly as you suggest." because my comments ware not based on just verbal info given to me, but each and every case I was in it and actually seen it.

Let me name a few. Atleast for information for members.

1)Toyota Corsa Moa 1992-1.5 Turbo Diesel(Under comp and redu after 200,000)my fathers

2)Toyota Carina Ti 1996-2.0 Turbo Diesel(Under comp. and redo after 150,000)my best friends

3)Nissan Serena FE 1992-2.0 Deisel(Under comp. engine replaced after 180,000)fathers best friends

I really like to see how a hands on serena user would comment! On these matters and comments pointed out by us.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Thats very interesting, and rather disappointing at the same time.

Smaller engine turbos in SL seem to suffer a lot probably due their engines being revved hard by drivers used to Petrols. I really do not know how to explain it beyond that. 200K is less than average miles for a Diesel. Being low revving engines they should technically last longer !

Turbo's on certain vehicles had problems but the engines were always reliable. I mean Turbo Diesel engines are being used for multiple decades now and is credited in bringing diesel technology to main stream automobiles including cars.

As for the Fx I think the Tubo diesel engine used in that is used by Nissan on other vehicles as well so parts should not be too difficult to find but wont be plentiful as the naturally aspirated engine.

Hi Guys. When it comes to calculating the mileage you do with an engine, I hope you guys will not go buy what is there on the meter since most of our mileage meters have been tampered with at one point or the other.

Edited by L board

Thats very interesting, and rather disappointing at the same time.

Smaller engine turbos in SL seem to suffer a lot probably due their engines being revved hard by drivers used to Petrols. I really do not know how to explain it beyond that. 200K is less than average miles for a Diesel. Being low revving engines they should technically last longer !

Turbo's on certain vehicles had problems but the engines were always reliable. I mean Turbo Diesel engines are being used for multiple decades now and is credited in bringing diesel technology to main stream automobiles including cars.

As for the Fx I think the Tubo diesel engine used in that is used by Nissan on other vehicles as well so parts should not be too difficult to find but wont be plentiful as the naturally aspirated engine.

Hi Don, i've got to agree with the fact that most drivers in SL drive diesels the same way they drive petrols. The other reason for more ware & tare in diesels is the lack of proper maintenance.

We did have a diesel Lancer CB8 which didn't have rev counter in it. Used to rev the max possible in one gear & then move to the next, the engine was wornout twice in the same year (lukily it was company maintained :) ).

Back to the Serena>>

The FX comes with a CD20T & later models with CD20ET engines. The Avenir is another car which i came accross with the same engine. If i'm not mistaken the FX has indipendent suspention at the back.

Hi Guys. When it comes to calculating the mileage you do with an engine, I hope you guys will not go buy what is there on the meter since most of our mileage meters have been tampered with at one point or the other.

Not all. Some..worst case many..

Mate, even if the Meters were turned..we still stick to the habit of asking for the millage when buying vehicle, don't we? Apart from inquiring other details about vehicle.

Thats a common practice. And thats how we intend to get a general idea about its running condition.

Hi Don, i've got to agree with the fact that most drivers in SL drive diesels the same way they drive petrols. The other reason for more ware & tare in diesels is the lack of proper maintenance.

We did have a diesel Lancer CB8 which didn't have rev counter in it. Used to rev the max possible in one gear & then move to the next, the engine was wornout twice in the same year (lukily it was company maintained :) ).

Back to the Serena>>

The FX comes with a CD20T & later models with CD20ET engines. The Avenir is another car which i came accross with the same engine. If i'm not mistaken the FX has indipendent suspention at the back.

Ah ha, I guess the independent suspension is the real seller of that vehicle ! The leaf spring suspension that comes in the LX etc is too heavy duty for passenger transport !

That Lancer Diesel engine to me was probably the best of the bunch in that generation of diesel cars ! Cos the car itself is so light that car felt more lively than the petrol Lancer ! I can see how revving it might become a habit !

The other thing is most diesel vehicles have already done 100K in Japan by the time they are exported ! If we are to know how they truly perform we need to look at brand new well maintained examples.

But I would expect a 2L diesel engine to last up to 250K miles (not kilometers)! I mean The Skoda Octavia's and 406's used by Taxi drivers over here achieve that very easily. I've heard the London Taxi's achieve even more (around 300K miles) without an overhaul ! I would expect the Japanese to do at least as well as the Europeans when it comes to durability.

Ah ha, I guess the independent suspension is the real seller of that vehicle ! The leaf spring suspension that comes in the LX etc is too heavy duty for passenger transport !

That Lancer Diesel engine to me was probably the best of the bunch in that generation of diesel cars ! Cos the car itself is so light that car felt more lively than the petrol Lancer ! I can see how revving it might become a habit !

The other thing is most diesel vehicles have already done 100K in Japan by the time they are exported ! If we are to know how they truly perform we need to look at brand new well maintained examples.

But I would expect a 2L diesel engine to last up to 250K miles (not kilometers)! I mean The Skoda Octavia's and 406's used by Taxi drivers over here achieve that very easily. I've heard the London Taxi's achieve even more (around 300K miles) without an overhaul ! I would expect the Japanese to do at least as well as the Europeans when it comes to durability.

Yeah... i have noticed that many of the Serena LX metion 'Cargo' at the bottom of the LX badge.

The Lancer was more fun coz it handled well than the rest of the cars of its generation... Its my 1st choice if i can afford to have a secondary car!!

I would expect a diesel to clock an higher milage, if not it doesn't make any long term economic gaining.

Btw does the climate in UK/Europe with cold air, lesser dust & also quality of the fuel have an impact on the long running of the diesels?

Yeah... i have noticed that many of the Serena LX metion 'Cargo' at the bottom of the LX badge.

The Lancer was more fun coz it handled well than the rest of the cars of its generation... Its my 1st choice if i can afford to have a secondary car!!

I would expect a diesel to clock an higher milage, if not it doesn't make any long term economic gaining.

Btw does the climate in UK/Europe with cold air, lesser dust & also quality of the fuel have an impact on the long running of the diesels?

The cold air I asume affects the engine in a detrimental way than a positive way since it takes longer for the engine to reach its operational temperature, and cold oil does not flow as well as warm oil !

The quality of the fuel, well European fuel (especially British) is not as good as Japanese fuel but its certainly better than SL fuel so I assume it does have an effect, particularly on the Diesel pump and injectors.

Those Lancers did handle very well :) Their handling is still quite good even on par with more modern vehicles ! They have a double wishbone like suspension system at the back (don't have 2 wishbones but enough linkages to achieve the same effect)!

What is the fuel consumption of Serena Auto model. One person got one Serena FX model, year 1997,rear full light wiper with mirror.Colour white, wp GX 19XX.Body good condition Any one please advised me worth price of this vehicle.

Sorry man, I don't think any of us have exact figures !

The value of the Serena if to go by market figures is a bit difficult since people seem to advertise them all over the place. But I would expect the FX to cost about 100K more than the LX and a bit more than the VX.

I would expect it to do about 8-10 KM/L and that's an optimistic estimate