• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gearbox/engine Mounts Failed

Daredevil

Question

Hi all

i am having a 1997 toyota carina. :violent-smiley-099: Few months back there was some shaking in the vehicle so i have found it was due to a gear box mount being failed. So that i found the mount on one of the sparepart places (reconditioned) and replaced it and at that time all the other mounts were ok.

But after about one month later i found the same rattling sound and found two engine mounts and the replaced gearbox mount has failed. Can somebody suggest what is the reason for this because will the same happens if i change all 3 mounts this time

Thanks

Regards

:unsure:

6 answers to this question

The mounts get wornout after a certain period of time same as any other part in a vehicle.

Replacing them with used mounts is not a good option coz no one knows how long the mounts available in used car part shops have been used.

It would be better if you could replace with new mounts. Check in panchikawatta coz parts for the '97 Carina are freely available.

I really don’t understand Y people like to take risks with things like mounts, brake parts timing belts etc.

As another member has put it – replacing with originals is ALWAYS THE 1st option. Replacing a door with a recon is fine. Can understand if you can’t find the part which is highly unlikely for a Carina.

Y may save a few bucks but then look at all the trouble u ahve to go through to repalce the others and the time - is it worth it ?

Im telling u this according to my experience. If you r going to replace engine mounts you better to replace all 4 mounts.

There are 4 main mounts in carina 212

Main Engine Mount (Driver side):- replace with used one. Price 1500

Main Top Gear box mount :- replace with used one. Price 1500

Front Gear box mount :- replace with Genuine Toyota mount from Toyota

lanka price 3500

Back Down Gear box mount :- replace with Genuine Toyota mount from Toyota

lanka price 6500

don’t buy panchikawaththa genuine and Malaysian replacement parts. That Only money waist.

You will not be able to find used Front Gear box mount & also used Back down Gear box mount.

Edited by Nilantha

I really don’t understand Y people like to take risks with things like mounts, brake parts timing belts etc.

As another member has put it – replacing with originals is ALWAYS THE 1st option. Replacing a door with a recon is fine. Can understand if you can’t find the part which is highly unlikely for a Carina.

Y may save a few bucks but then look at all the trouble u ahve to go through to repalce the others and the time - is it worth it ?

True. Never take risks. Specially with critical parts! We understand there is cost factor involved, sometimes I've had second thoughts about spending but to tell you Ive always replaced with the brand new and original where possible...its worth it and after all its your car..treat it well.

Think this way mate...."When we are ill we go to see doc, and then do we ask him for the cheapest medicine? Of course not instead we try to buy the best medicine! Obviously a human life is more important than a car..and it cant be bought, if lost! But at least try to treat your car with the best you can afford..after all you depend on it..its your..your ride..on the road..Care for it..

Do not clog your repairs..attend to them as and when they occur..ignoring such may propagate from minor to major issue..resulting in more money, time lost and also worst of them all the worry!

:P

Put the cost of the part aside for while. You have to pay for labour twice as well!! And charges of good mechanics are not cheap!!

Hi all

i am having a 1997 toyota carina. :violent-smiley-099: Few months back there was some shaking in the vehicle so i have found it was due to a gear box mount being failed. So that i found the mount on one of the sparepart places (reconditioned) and replaced it and at that time all the other mounts were ok.

But after about one month later i found the same rattling sound and found two engine mounts and the replaced gearbox mount has failed. Can somebody suggest what is the reason for this because will the same happens if i change all 3 mounts this time

Thanks

Regards

:unsure:

Generally, you should replace all mounts at the same time. You should always go for originals, unless you want to go through the hassle once again within a short period.